More Mustang appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Mustang appreciation

Took my Mustang v2 100 watt 1x12 over to jam with my bass playing friend. Messed with a couple cover tunes, “Sometimes Salvation” by the Black Crowes and “You Belong to Me” by Lenny Kravitz.

Used a dirty preset I made at home based on an Orange amp (not sure which) for the Crowes, and a very similar but clean with a little chorus setting (same Orange amp) for Lenny. Played my Tele plus on both, and was really happy with both.

We were playing a lot louder than I ever do at home, and he’s got a really nice 800 watt Mesa micro head and a nice cab. Only tweaking I had to do was a little less gain, less treble, and a little more mids, and the Mustang kept up just fine.

We’re both metalheads, so for the last half hour, I turned on the 6505 setting, set all the knobs at 5, and again, was super happy with the tones I was getting.

If we get this turned into something and start playing out, I may check out the newer gen 100 watt head and 2x12 version of this amp.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Only thing I've discovered about mustang amps that drove me nuts sometimes is there's like a built in noise gate that sometimes gates my playing when playing low output single coils with the volume rolled back
    to be fair I guess their core market is not rolling back the volume and tone all the time and some never do

Also mustangs strike me as so different to the katana Which is still probably the big competitor to mustang. Mustang sounds a little boxy to me and like the amp is further away.
    But as a result sounds much better to me than katana when playing by myself

but when I hear katana in the mix I always go WOW that cuts right through and sounds like guitar

Tons of potent settings on the mustang but you gotta get used to the amp it seems
    Katana it's like you almost can't turn off the cutting mids!

Comment

My Tele has Lace Sensor pickups, which are dead silent, even with a good amount of gain, so I had the noise gate turned off.

With the 5150 setting, rolling back the volume gave a surprisingly good clean tone. Not Fender sparkly, but totally useable.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
        My Tele has Lace Sensor pickups, which are dead silent, even with a good amount of gain, so I had the noise gate turned off.

With the 5150 setting, rolling back the volume gave a surprisingly good clean tone. Not Fender sparkly, but totally useable.
        Yeaahhh buddy I know exactly what you mean
        they have a setting like that on the champion too

I use that 5150 setting whenever I come up on a mustang or champion and it's where I usually sit if I'm not on the cleans. It's my favorite fender digital gain voicing by a country mile! Cleanish to ripping with the volume knob even with single coils. Doesn't sound too much like butt on the smaller combos which some people out there might like for their bedroom or little jamspace or whatever. I love the set it and forget aspect. That voice just seems kinda dialed in and I've tried it with a good few guitars at home and in all sorts of shops through the years

Comment

I've never seen the words "Micro" and "800 watt" in the same sentence. Bravo!
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
            I've never seen the words "Micro" and "800 watt" in the same sentence. Bravo!
            Right? Bass amps are crazy.

Comment

The magic of Switching Power Supplies and Class D Amplifiers!
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
              X