Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to rent a 3-channel amp

Most esteemed SDUG amp experts:

Long story short: I need to rent a fairly versatile amp with a good amount of power for a gig. I will be using only my H/S/S Strat with no effects. I am thinking a three channel (clean/crunch/rawwwwrrrrr) is the way to go, as I will be wanting a pretty wide spectrum of tones, but I don't want to deal with the complexity of a modelling amp.

Some ideas:

- Marshall TSL60 half stack or TSL602 combo
    - Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 or 410
    - Mesa Mark IV head or combo
    - Mesa Stiletto (not technically three channel, but has a boost switch)

I would love to hear your input. Again, keep in mind this is only for one gig. I don't have to live with this thing.

Thanks!
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Re: I need to rent a 3-channel amp

Did you call any local rental companies? You'll probably be limited to whatever they have. It's a tiny bit unethical, but I'll tell you what I've done. Guitar Center has a 30 day return policy...no questions asked. As long as the piece of gear is returned in EXACTLY the same condition you bought it in, the rental is FREE!!! LOL Go there, try out all the amps, front the money, and return it in 2 weeks. I've played gigs outta town, and bought Marshall cabs there, then returned them on Monday morning. They don't like it, but then again I'm sick of Gcrep auctions on Ebay.....so we're even. That's how I justify it! haha
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Being a Boogie devotee, I would strongly suggest that you NOT rent a Mesa. There's too much involved in finding your tones and using the channel switching effectively. To use it for just one day, it's not worth it.

I agree that you're going to be limited by what's available to be rented, so you should call them to see what's available to you.

Of the choices that you listed, I would go with a Deville. Straight-forward, simple to use, and sounds good.
      Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by chopstherocker
        Strange, I would have said a Mesa/Boogie single rect.

You will be hard pressed to find a rebtal, but I've been using one that has clean, dirty, and the solo switch.

Then, that's just me.
        I have one, too, but that's not one of the choices.

If the choice is a Mark IV, the learning curve is too great for just one day, IMO. In the name of simplicity, I went with the simplest amp to get a good set of sounds.
        Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

A TSL should do the trick. Maybe even a DSL considering they're supposed to sound better and I think there is a boost option on the crunch channel.

Comment

yeah, DSL 50 would be a common, viable option.. the DSL 401 just has a boost for the 3rd channel, i dunno if the same is true on the bigger ones...

tom

Comment

Of those the TSL... I d recommend seeing if you can get a H&K Triamp , though
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

The place I will be renting from will rent pretty much anything they have in their retail inventory, except for the really high-end stuff (I suspect the Mark IV may be pushing it). I know for a fact they have a wall of DeVille's available to rent, so that one's more or less my fall-back.

As for Recto's: I like the high gain sound, but it's WAY too bottom heavy for this gig. If this were a hard rock/metal gig it would for sure be in consideration.

I am open to suggestions - the list is merely my thoughts. If you have a better idea please post it (Zerb's H&K recommendation is very good for example).

Thanks.

Comment

Any more suggestions? I will be giving them a try tonight.

Comment

The Rivera Knucklehead 55 with Reverb fits the bill you're looking for. Extremely easy to dial in good sounds as well.
                    PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
                    PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
                    GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
                    Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
                    Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
                    various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Of those the TSL... I d recommend seeing if you can get a H&K Triamp , though
                      Agreed! 6 channels
                      (got one)
                      Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
                      Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

Working...
                      X