Power Attenuators...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Attenuators...

My Classic 30 doesn't start shining until ~4-6 on the clean channel, which is much too loud for practicing in my room (unless I'm home alone). So I'm exploring two options:

1. Trade it for a Crate Palomino V16 or V8.
    2. Buy a Weber MiniMASS

Some questions about the Weber. I know I cant just crank my amp to 10 then turn the volume down with the attenutor and expect amazing quality. But if I'm just looking to slightly lower the volume, how much will my tone be effected?
    :banana: :banana: :dance: :banana: :banana:

Re: Power Attenuators...

If you get a THD HotPlate, you will be pretty happy with the results. I've used it with my Soldanos and have been very impressed with it.
    Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

For slight volume attenuation, the MiniMASS sounds great. I have one semi-permanently mounted in my homebuilt Phonyvox 13 Watter. The great part about the MiniMASS is that it matches small amps so well - you're not paying for power capability or features you don't need.

Turned down real low, the MiniMASS still sounds pretty good. The only problem is the wirewound rheostat gets a little flakey when it's down to the first one or two windings - it gets a little scratchy, and you have to fiddle with it. Still sounds OK, though. Once it up above 8 o'clock, its fine.

Good sound for cheap - money well spent.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

+1 on the MASS, although I've never used the Mini, but the regular one.

When the amp is cranked & the attenuator is maxed, it's not a good idea to do this....too much stress on both units & it doesn't sound as good.

I usually find a good spot with the amp volume at around 6 (1 o'clock) or so & then play around with the MASS to find a good spot.

I'm not sure about the mini, but the regular MASS has a bypass switch....throw that for when you can crank it & it's as if the MASS isn't even there.

Wait for Lew to chime in or send him a PM...I think his brother gave him one for Christmas last year & he loves it.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I love the Mini-Mass with my Blues Jr. Definitely get the treble-retention switch (or whatever they call it). Helps a bit below 5 on the tone.

Chip
          Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
          Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
          Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
          SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
          SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
          "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Attenuators aren't designed to turn big heads into bedroom players. My marshall sounds better with the master volume at 5 than it does cranked with the hotplate set to match the volume of the marshal at 5. Too much attenuation = tone suckage.
            Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I just received a mini-mass and there was some type of ring or clip halfway wedged where the knob connects to the potentiometer shaft. As soon as I turned the knob the ring/clip popped off and flew across the room. Now the knobs shaft just spins. Not 1 minute out of the box and that happens. I still have to plug it in and test it yet. I may have to open it to adjust the pot. Hopefully it isn't damaged and can be easily repaired.

Comment

Working...
              X