Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 2 speaker cab question.

VERY EXCITED.

After more than 15 years, i am getting a 5E3 amp (head) this weekend.
    Seeing that it is a head, i need a cab.
    That made me think.
    What about a 2X12 cab, but with two diff speakers.
    Connect to the one (at a time) for a more traditional vintage tone, and maybe have a diff voiced speaker, say (for arguments sake) an Emi Swamp Thang, or even a Jensen Blackbird in the same cab.
    Two diff speakers for two diff tones/feel. Only one being used at a time.

Has anyone done something like this before ?

Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

sorta. i have a 2x10 that has a jensen p10q and an emi lil buddy. they sound totally different but both cool, they sound great mixed. i have a marshall style back plate so can run either 8ohm speaker by itself or both at 4ohms or 16ohms by flipping a switch

Comment

Blended tones are wonderful. I never use one speaker at a time like you are talking about.
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
        VERY EXCITED.

After more than 15 years, i am getting a 5E3 amp (head) this weekend.
        Seeing that it is a head, i need a cab.
        That made me think.
        What about a 2X12 cab, but with two diff speakers.
        Connect to the one (at a time) for a more traditional vintage tone, and maybe have a diff voiced speaker, say (for arguments sake) an Emi Swamp Thang, or even a Jensen Blackbird in the same cab.
        Two diff speakers for two diff tones/feel. Only one being used at a time.

Has anyone done something like this before ?
        Are you talking about being able to switch on the fly, like a pedal that selects one or the other speaker?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is the 2x12 open back? If closed back, need to make sure the airspace matches what the speakers were designed for to sound right.

Comment

I have a 1x12 open back cab with a Cannabis Rex and a 1x12 closed back cab with a V30. They both sound very different The V30 has tightness, sparkle, and mid presence and the C. Rex has a slightly relaxed mids, woody/smoky, mellower sound. But I think they sound much better run together than individually.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              I have a 1x12 open back cab with a Cannabis Rex and a 1x12 closed back cab with a V30. They both sound very different The V30 has tightness, sparkle, and mid presence and the C. Rex has a slightly relaxed mids, woody/smoky, mellower sound. But I think they sound much better run together than individually.
              I agree I think you’d be happier in the end and have more variety with 2 separate 1x12 cabs with different speakers to use individually or together.

Comment

Have you ever swapped those speakers between the same 2 cabs? I'd be willing to bet some of the tightness is the closed back, and some of the relaxed mids and woody/smoky sound is the open back.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Have you ever swapped those speakers between the same 2 cabs? I'd be willing to bet some of the tightness is the closed back, and some of the relaxed mids and woody/smoky sound is the open back.
                  I haven't swapped them, but the open back cab originally had a V30 in it . . . and it definitely sounded different. There was a painful ice-pick in the ear thing going on in the upper mids that was the whole reason I started looking for another speaker. Doesn't happen at all with the v30 in the closed back cab. :P
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I haven't swapped them, but the open back cab originally had a V30 in it . . . and it definitely sounded different. There was a painful ice-pick in the ear thing going on in the upper mids that was the whole reason I started looking for another speaker. Doesn't happen at all with the v30 in the closed back cab. :P
                    Yeah V30 was kind of designed for Marshall closed-back cabs.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      sorta. i have a 2x10 that has a jensen p10q and an emi lil buddy. they sound totally different but both cool, they sound great mixed. i have a marshall style back plate so can run either 8ohm speaker by itself or both at 4ohms or 16ohms by flipping a switch
                      DAMN . . . that sounds even better !!!

Thanks . . . gotta see how a Marshall style back plate looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Are you talking about being able to switch on the fly, like a pedal that selects one or the other speaker?
                        No . . . just changing between songs . . . not during.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          Is the 2x12 open back? If closed back, need to make sure the airspace matches what the speakers were designed for to sound right.
                          Currently still in the design process.
                          Maybe half is closed and the other an open back ?

Comment

I have a 1x12 open back cab with a Cannabis Rex and a 1x12 closed back cab with a V30. They both sound very different The V30 has tightness, sparkle, and mid presence and the C. Rex has a slightly relaxed mids, woody/smoky, mellower sound.
                            But I think they sound much better run together than individually.
                            W O W . . . thanks for the heads up mate

Comment

So . . . my other cab related question is :

For that period correct fat, warm, loose low end, mid range focused, 5E3 tone what we all know, what would be the most accurate speaker to get (from currently produced units) ?

Comment

Working...
                              X