Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Origin 50h for Metal tones

Hello everyone,
    I’m interested in buying a new tube amp. I generally play Melodic Death Metal (At the Gates, In Flames, Carcass). I was drawn to the Marshall Origin 50 because of its affordability, and something about the name Marshall says quality to me. I’ve been reading that this amp is generally a clean amp, but I was planning on using a EHX Metal Muff to get more gain out of it. Can anyone post their experiences with this amp?
    thanks

I've only heard the demos, but my understanding is that the Marshall Origin is voiced like a Plexi and doesn't have a ton of gain available. It could work for what you're wanting to do as long as you get your gain from a pedal. My only concern is that I'm not sure the bass would be tight enough if you're tuning down to C or lower like the bands you mentioned.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      I've only heard the demos, but my understanding is that the Marshall Origin is voiced like a Plexi and doesn't have a ton of gain available. It could work for what you're wanting to do as long as you get your gain from a pedal. My only concern is that I'm not sure the bass would be tight enough if you're tuning down to C or lower like the bands you mentioned.
      I usually play in D standard/Drop C. If I used a Tube Screamer on top of the Metal Muff, would it tighten up the bass? I’m coming from a Jet City 1x12 combo, which isn’t the tightest sounding or highest gain amp and I’ve gotten pretty good results with it. I honestly like the old school sort of response the Jet City has.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman642 View Post

I usually play in D standard/Drop C. If I used a Tube Screamer on top of the Metal Muff, would it tighten up the bass? I’m coming from a Jet City 1x12 combo, which isn’t the tightest sounding or highest gain amp and I’ve gotten pretty good results with it. I honestly like the old school sort of response the Jet City has.
        Are you currently using the Metal Muff, or are you boosting the Jet City? A Tube Screamer should tighten the bass some, but I don't know if it'd be enough. Compared to the Origin, your current Jet City has a lot more gain and it's voiced like a JCM800 which is significantly tighter and more aggressive than a Plexi. You could say they're both old school tones, but the Origin is 60s (Cream, Led Zeppelin) while the Jet City is 80s (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc). If I wanted to play melodic death metal with a Marshall and not break the bank, I'd look for a used DSL 50. It's much more suited to that style than the Origin, and the build quality is far better.
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I’m using the Metal Muff with the Jet City. That’s kind of what I was wondering. So the Origin is more of a “classic” rock amp than what I’m used to.
          Are the Origins known for having shoddy build quality?

Comment

How do the DSL 100’s stack up to the DSL 50’s? From what I can tell, the 100 is a 100 watt amp and the 50 is a 50 watt amp. The 100 also ditched the JCM branding.

Comment

You are on the wrong amp for the types of tones you mentioned in your original post. Throwing pedals on top of the wrong amp is a tough way to go. Best to get the right amp from the beginning and likely not need any pedals. In the end, it is probably less expensive and a better way to go.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I’m using the Metal Muff with the Jet City. That’s kind of what I was wondering. So the Origin is more of a “classic” rock amp than what I’m used to.
                Are the Origins known for having shoddy build quality?
                How do the DSL 100’s stack up to the DSL 50’s? From what I can tell, the 100 is a 100 watt amp and the 50 is a 50 watt amp. The 100 also ditched the JCM branding.
                The Origin is definitely a classic rock amp, and almost seems to have been intended as a clean-ish pedal platform. I wouldn't say they're known for shoddy build quality, but generally speaking the Asian-made Marshalls aren't built to the same quality standard as their UK counterparts.

Along those same lines the JCM2000 DSL50 was made in the UK, while the newer DSL100H isn't.

Comment

Is it true that you have to pull the chassis from the shell to bias the newer dsl-100h? I remember reading that awhile back, not that it takes much time, but still a bit of hassle if trying various tubes.

Comment

A Peavey 6505 mini head is pretty much the same price as the Origin 50 (over here, any way), and although it’s 20 watts rather than 50, I would imagine it would get you a much better metal tone.

Comment

For metal a DSL20 or 40CR boosted with a tubescreamer will get you much closer. I have the 40CR and it can be insanely loud, while still sounding very good at low volume. With a Maxon OD-9 or Boss SD-1 in front and a Boss GE-7 in the loop it does metal no worries. The DSL20 head is also a very good option, it can keep up with a loud drummer no problems into an EVH 2x12 or a Laney LT212 cab.
                      I think the end result depends a lot on how you EQ the amp and the choice of cab/speakers. I can get my stock JB Jackson sound tight as just by adjusting the amp and GE-7 dials. BTW, my bridge pups are sitting a tad further from the strings. Meanest high gain sound without the fizz and boom. Granted, the DSLs sound more compressed than the Origin or the classics like Plexi or jcm800, but that's not an issue if playing mostly metal.
                      As already said, trying to get the tone you want from pedals into the wrong amp isn't perhaps the way to go.

Comment

I like the Jet City you already have more than any of the Marshalls discussed in this thread. I'd rather have a Soldano than a Marshall every time.
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I would personally rather use a Peavey Supreme or a Marshall Valvestate for those bands (huge fan, BTW) for an amp in a budget.

Comment

You could always keep your Jet City, buy a KSR Ceres preamp pedal and have a ton of sound options that would deliver what you are seeking and more. I did a review of it in the pedal thread. It's an awesome piece of gear. Another option is buying a Seymour Duncan PowerStage or similar product to mate up with the Ceres and you would be in budget. I am assuming you have a speaker cabinet already.
                            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                              You could always keep your Jet City, buy a KSR Ceres preamp pedal and have a ton of sound options that would deliver what you are seeking and more. I did a review of it in the pedal thread. It's an awesome piece of gear. Another option is buying a Seymour Duncan PowerStage or similar product to mate up with the Ceres and you would be in budget. I am assuming you have a speaker cabinet already.
                              I don’t have a speaker cab right now. The amp I have is a combo, so while it’s technically a speaker cab, it’s bundled with the head already

Comment

Working...
                              X