banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of this self built Fender ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this self built Fender ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	190148295_10217931600633496_5945925594228161904_6.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	6084277 Click image for larger version

Name:	191318643_10217931597673422_8835150090929304604_2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	6084278 Click image for larger version

Name:	191184047_10217931597313413_9016456614903011407_1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	6084279

Looking at these three images.
    What do you think of the build quality?
    Amp (kit?) is a 5E3.
    Does everything look like top quality components were used ?
    How can i tell if this is an OK (hobby project) build, or a world class (think Victoria amps and the like) build ?

Any info will be great.
    Attached Files
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Looks pretty good though I can't tell what's going on with the transformer part. Lotta wires everywhere.

Comment

really hard to tell how it sounds from an image
      looks neat and tidy though

are you thinking of purchasing this from someone online?

be sure to test it as soon as you can get your hands on it
      and have a plan for if it doesnt work

most folks who build these as hobbies don't sell them because they sound great

sometimes its because they jacked it up and cant find whats wrong
      and want someone else to pay for the replacement set
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

what brand power and output transformers? They are the big ticket items in a build like this and the real swinger between a winner and a loser build.

Comment

looks good but the proof is in how it sounds. 5e3 were "cheap" fender amps at the time, they have their quirks but are fantastic for what they are. 12ay7 in v1 or 12ax7? the recto tube looks big for a 5y3. victoria makes great amps but they come with that cost as well and part of that is the assurance that you are getting a great amp

Comment

It looks a hell of a lot better than if I did it.

Comment

I'd have to make my own custom faceplate for it, but it looks pretty clean and tidy.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                what brand power and output transformers? They are the big ticket items in a build like this and the real swinger between a winner and a loser build.
                Understood.
                I will have a close up view of this build next Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                  It looks a hell of a lot better than if I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    looks good but the proof is in how it sounds. 5e3 were "cheap" fender amps at the time, they have their quirks but are fantastic for what they are.
                    12ay7 in v1 or 12ax7?
                    the recto tube looks big for a 5y3.
                    victoria makes great amps but they come with that cost as well and part of that is the assurance that you are getting a great amp
                    I take it the 12ax7 will give the amp more 'gain', Jeremy ?

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

I take it the 12ax7 will give the amp more 'gain', Jeremy ?
                      12AX7 has an amplification factor of 100, so it will lower the headroom by putting relatively more signal through the amp. 12AY7 has an amplification factor of 45, by way of comparison.

Comment

The build itself looks decent. The components are of normal grade. Orange drops are not all they are cracked up to be if you ask me but are better than cheap China versions. The PS, HT caps don't look to be high-grade F&T quality but are not cheap IC brand either. There is a little bit of slop in the wiring, which is to say it could be cleaner, but it is still better than most original 5E3's that made it out of Fender's shop. There appears to be metal film resistors where it is best suited and the rest of the resistors are either carbon film or MF, but likely not carbon composition. Some prefer CC over CF or MF resistors, but MF is honestly the best all-around. MF is quieter, flameproof, more stable to temperature, and despite folklore, does not sound bad. The amp is loaded with JJ tubes, which I am OK with. I like JJ for the most part. I have had some tubes from them that are a little off but they have been more than reliable for me. Unless you go with NOS tubes, I say go with Genelex or JJ's. If you go with any other brand, well there is a 33% chance it was made by JJ anyway.

All in all, the amp appears to be made well enough and is built with above-average quality components. There is no reason it should sound bad, but not actually being able to hear it, who knows for certain. Being a kit amp made by hand, I would value that thing at around $400 - $500 used as it appears to be. If it were new, I would expect it to be around $600-$700 if there is no cabinet. If it were a full-on combo or came with a head cabinet, I can see it easily going between $1,200 to $1,500. It is likely to be better than anything Fender currently puts out in that model range.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

12AX7 has an amplification factor of 100, so it will lower the headroom by putting relatively more signal through the amp. 12AY7 has an amplification factor of 45, by way of comparison.
                          GREAT info . . . deff keeping this in mind when i plug into the amp.
                          Much Appreciated !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
                            The build itself looks decent. The components are of normal grade. Orange drops are not all they are cracked up to be if you ask me but are better than cheap China versions. The PS, HT caps don't look to be high-grade F&T quality but are not cheap IC brand either. There is a little bit of slop in the wiring, which is to say it could be cleaner, but it is still better than most original 5E3's that made it out of Fender's shop. There appears to be metal film resistors where it is best suited and the rest of the resistors are either carbon film or MF, but likely not carbon composition. Some prefer CC over CF or MF resistors, but MF is honestly the best all-around. MF is quieter, flameproof, more stable to temperature, and despite folklore, does not sound bad. The amp is loaded with JJ tubes, which I am OK with. I like JJ for the most part. I have had some tubes from them that are a little off but they have been more than reliable for me. Unless you go with NOS tubes, I say go with Genelex or JJ's. If you go with any other brand, well there is a 33% chance it was made by JJ anyway.

All in all, the amp appears to be made well enough and is built with above-average quality components. There is no reason it should sound bad, but not actually being able to hear it, who knows for certain. Being a kit amp made by hand, I would value that thing at around $400 - $500 used as it appears to be. If it were new, I would expect it to be around $600-$700 if there is no cabinet. If it were a full-on combo or came with a head cabinet, I can see it easily going between $1,200 to $1,500. It is likely to be better than anything Fender currently puts out in that model range.
                            GREAT, GREAT INFO . . . thank you very much Ewizard

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
                              Can you ID the transformers ?
                              Does it look like semi decent units ?

Comment

Working...
                              X