No announcement yet.

Looking for a PA Power Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crown makes great stuff too. i used to run crown before i got the qsc, just needed more power. the behringer is for running the four monitor mixes but im surprised at how good it is and well its lasted

Comment

That Pyle is fast and loose with the stats and is pretty dirty <1% THD. but will do the job.

Personally -I'd pay 2-3x and go Crown Drive Core or Yorkville PX1700 -both are EXCELLENT IN the 300-450 price range

-remember -they will be much quieter and more powerful amps too -as they are rating on RMS output at 4 or 8ohms NOT headline grabbing 1000 watt max.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Keep in mind I am not the singer for this band. He was lucky the bass player had a PA. Now once again he does not have to invest in gear. So I have a hard time paying $3- 400 for something I personally won't be using.

Comment

how much power do you need and how many channels, just one for mains and one for monitors?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            how much power do you need and how many channels, just one for mains and one for monitors?
            Just mains I am thinking at least 300w per side at 8 ohms two channels.

Comment

If you have the money, the Crown XTI series is the next best thing over the NX stuff. While you can get cheaper amps that work very well ( like the QSC RMX line, or Crown XLi ) they are feature-limited and are heavy. You also don't really save that much money. The Crown XLi is around $500 for the power density you need and the XTI is about $800. While $300 seems like a bit, you will save about 10-20lbs in weight, have full DSP, and much better speaker protection for that extra $300. You don't have to have outboard gear to process the speakers, EQ, time-align, or protect them with the XTI line. If you go with the RMX, XLi or other non DSP amps, you NEED external processing to properly operate your speakers. This means either having a digital mixer with substantial features or having some sort of DSP, EQ, and crossover setup. A decent dual 31 band EQ will cost you darn near that $300, and it doesn't do anything else. A db Technologies drive rack will send you back more than the $300 extra you spend for the XTI.

The Behringer NX series is the best you can get for the price point they are playing in. The XTI line is probably the best mid-tier amp you can get considering performance and features. Obviously, if you really want to play hard you can look into Crown I-Tech or QSC PLD series.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Keep in mind I am not the singer for this band. He was lucky the bass player had a PA. Now once again he does not have to invest in gear. So I have a hard time paying $3- 400 for something I personally won't be using.
                Yeah, then the Pyle is fine.. although a used Peavey at pawn shop or used gear shop can be had for 50-100 bucks as an option and if still in good working order will blow away that Pyle for power and low noise

for example:
                ​​​​​​https://www.musicgoround.com/product...8aAgh2EALw_wcB
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Sounds like somebody needs to pay to play. Singers! "I don't need any gear, I just sing." Doesn't even provide a mic and fails to notice the amps, cabs, mixer and miles of cable.

Comment

This puppy should be here on Wednesday. If it works great, if not we send it back and start over.

Comment

Why are you buying stuff for the singer
                      are you the bass player?
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

its nice to have stuff. i have a 16 channel pa with 4 monitor mixes and all the crap that entails. dont use it very often but its paid for and comes in handy. spending a few hundred bucks on a power amp makes more sense than spending that money on a 23rd guitar

Comment

I am trying to sell off my 16 channel board, power amp, effects, in a giant Gator cube case. It takes up room that I don't have, and it is doubtful I will ever use it again (I haven't in at least 5 years).
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i use mine at least a few times a year. usually when someone hires me to bring a band to a pig roast or big party. the mixer and amps and outboard gear are all in a rack which isnt small but its the four 1x15" cabs, two 1x12", and two 1x10" cabs that take up a lot of room. then again my 1x15 and 4x10 bass cabs dont help either. or the five piece drumset. i have too much stuff for my small house

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              its nice to have stuff. i have a 16 channel pa with 4 monitor mixes and all the crap that entails. dont use it very often but its paid for and comes in handy. spending a few hundred bucks on a power amp makes more sense than spending that money on a 23rd guitar
                              Yes, and I can see not dragging a PA from gig to gig but we have to have something for practice.

Comment

So....after all of this, it turns out it was a cable when I swear I checked all of the cables. I am returning the power amp I got on Amazon. It is nowhere as loud as our 300w per side 30-year-old amp. It sounds nowhere as good even with EQ. It has a very tin can quality to its tone. Live, learn, and move on. My father always warned me of "too much candy for a nickel" I guess this is one of those cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X