banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it bother you when an amp power switch is in the back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it bother you when an amp power switch is in the back?

I think this is kind of a pain, especially since I sometimes have the amps situated against a wall. Even when this is not the case, it is still a slight annoyance to have to reach over and flip the switch. I have often employed a power strip to give me a second switch for greater convenience. What do you think?
    Tone is in the hands, but it helps to have gear that doesn't totally blow ass.

On the Excelsior the switch is not only on the back but at the bottom of the amp, it is a pain in the butt.

| Gear Reviews | Beer | Babes | The Internet's Only Unedited & Uncensored Musician's Forum | Sports |

Comment

Wow, that is seriously a pain. I have no idea why that was a design decision.
      Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Doesn't annoy me per se but I do love convenience so I have a power strip that turns on two of my guitar amps and my pedalboard. One switch and I'm ready to go!
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

im so used to it, its second nature

Comment

Switch on the back is not big deal . . . but this setup looks like a PITA:

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            On the Excelsior the switch is not only on the back but at the bottom of the amp, it is a pain in the butt.

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It is a bit frustrating but once you get used to it then it's not so bad. The problem I have is remembering where the switch is on the various amps I have. Is it on the left or right? Where are the other switches and settings on those amps on the back? That gets confusing when dealing with certain amps with a lot of options on the back. It's a mess. I have a friend who his amps on racks/shelves and the background in that area has one of those big mirrors like in a dance studio. It provides visibility and makes things easier to get to and tweak if needed.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Some colored duct tape on the corresponding corner or side of the amp is quite helpful if you'd rather save time/hassle than maintain a perfect Tolex appearance.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

my amps with back switches are all fender bf/sf or at least that style so i know that power is on the right as you reach over but this has been years of conditioning

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Hint: It starts with En, and rhymes with juhneers
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don't mind if it is in the OBVIOUS position: Far top right corner. I just put a tab of tape on top to mark it.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Certainly the back top is more tolerable than the back bottom, especially either on a dark stage or if the amp is up against a wall at home or in a studio.
                        Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Keeping the switch near the entrance of AC into the unit saves money and is easier to build. I've had old stereo receivers that had a front panel power "switch" that was connected via a long piece of plastic to the actual switch on the back where the AC came in.

Back to the original question. Anything different than the classic Fender orientation of power and stand-by on the back would annoy me. But yeah, on the front is better.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            im so used to it, its second nature
                            You are also 7 feet tall. When your amp is taller than you the Fender thing is a pain in the butt.

| Gear Reviews | Beer | Babes | The Internet's Only Unedited & Uncensored Musician's Forum | Sports |

Comment

ha! get yo self some platforms my man

Comment

Working...
                              X