Guitar power amps and volume controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar power amps and volume controls

I’ve been playing rack gear for many years and among other things, I use an effects processor and use its main output pot to control my overall volume level to my rack.
    I’ve always just cranked the power amp’s volumes to MAX and use the aforementioned effects processor to control the volume level. Is this an optimal way to run the power amp or does it not really make any difference?

That makes it easy to control and it works fine as long as the power amp is quiet, cranking the volumes on the power amp means that any noise in it will be at the max. If you have a hum coming through the speakers might try backing the power amp volumes off a little.

Comment

There are no hard set rules really. I always have found that there is a sweet spot and things sound best when they are in those areas. Depending on the gear being discussed the variances may change compared to other pieces of gear or situations. The best thing to do is reverse those settings and see if there is any difference. I am sure there will be. If indeed there are differences, it may be a fun hunt to mess around with various settings and see if you do indeed find something you like better. Take pics as you dial or chart the settings and why you like or dislike them as you go so you don't lose anything new. Good luck!
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

If it is a tube power amp, it will depend on if you want to get your sound from an overdriven preamp or power amp. If I am just using the power amp for raw power (not as an ingredient in the tone), then the power amp volume sets the master volume of the rig.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm trying to imagine a Mesa 50/50 maxed through a pair of half stacks. If you accidentally max the volume pedal for the effects...
          And then attenuating the pre- amp sound too much can suck tone. I'd run the power amp 1/2 to 2/3 of max. Then you can turn up the rack effects a bit more. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            I'm trying to imagine a Mesa 50/50 maxed through a pair of half stacks. If you accidentally max the volume pedal for the effects...
            And then attenuating the pre- amp sound too much can suck tone. I'd run the power amp 1/2 to 2/3 of max. Then you can turn up the rack effects a bit more. You won't regret it.

I’m thinking the exact same thing.

The more gain stages you add the more options you have. I’m theory that seems great but there are a lot more options that are less than ideal. In my rack I’ve got patch by patch pre and post volume, a hardwired preamp output, a power amp volume and if the effects are in series an input gain and output volume (I see why kill dry and a parallel mixer is so important). Add in the wah (1 more gain control) and an OD (2 more controls) and there are a lot of ways to change the sound.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

In an earlier incarnation of my rack I used to tweak the output knob of my Intellifex rather than the twin volumes on the power amp.
              That was basically about convenience, though: one control instead of two, plus it was higher in the rack & easier to reach.

Experimenting with controlling volume from a couple of places in the signal path is good advice IMO.
              Can't be sure whether it might make any difference on your particular rig until you try it.
              Though as Darkside has pointed out, there are likely to be some spots where varying your levels wouldn't be ideal.

Regardless of where in the signal path you're turning it up or down, of course, a tube power amp's drive character will only come out when it's pushed a bit.

I was much happier after scaling down to a Mesa 20/20. Nice little amp. No lightweight in terms of volume, either.
              Still, it gives throaty smoothness with a touch of sag-and-bloom at far more reasonable levels than the 50/50.

Some might need more than 40W for scooped metal and/or chest-thumping bass on large stages or outdoors.
              But for me the 20/20 was just right. And bulletproof reliable.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

I was much happier after scaling down to a Mesa 20/20. Nice little amp. No lightweight in terms of volume, either.
                Still, it gives throaty smoothness with a touch of sag-and-bloom at far more reasonable levels than the 50/50.

Some might need more than 40W for scooped metal and/or chest-thumping bass on large stages or outdoors.
                But for me the 20/20 was just right. And bulletproof reliable.
                I wish I could find a Mesa 20/20 at a reasonable price!
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

I wish I could find a Mesa 20/20 at a reasonable price!
                  Wow, prices on these have really soared.Hadn't looked them up in awhile, and of course prices are going up in general.
                  Even so, $1K seems mighty high. I think I paid $375 for mine, used.
                  But that was when they were still being made, and easy to find.

Twenty years ago everybody wanted the 2:90 or at least a 50/50. 20/20 used to be the runt, an oddball outlier.
                  Of course for modern stage levels it's absolutely perfect, and people are reluctant to part with them. I sure love mine.

I'm a fan of Mesa gear in general; been a Boogie user since Randy was building 'em at home back in the 70s.
                  Triaxis rocked my world in the 90s and is still the heart of my tone nearly thirty years later.

Sadly, rack guitar rigs - though seeing a sort of resurgence at the moment - aren't very likely to make a big comeback.
                  It seems pretty improbable that Mesa would reissue the 20/20, especially under the new corporate ownership.

Still, one never knows... Many are just discovering the magic that tube power can work for digital modelers.
                  Maybe great rack power amps will become a trend, the new old thing?

Or - probably more likely - the popularity of racks will wane again, bringing prices down.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

I'll go out on a limb and say I'd plug my guitar into my Quadraverb out into dual Fender MD-80 racks going into a pair of 4x12's.

Comment

Working...
                      X