Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket

A friend of mine is trying to sell me his for $700. Always wanted a Boogie, and this amp seems to be a rare small 20 watt tone monster. I currently have a Peavey Classic 30, and a Boss Katana 50 in my bedroom. The Katana is fun and sounds great at bedroom volume, and the headphone tone is decent too. But it’s really easy to get lost tweaking and downloading patches. The Peavey sounds great, but at 30 watts, I can’t play it past maybe 2.5 without having angry wife telling me to turn it down.

I’ve seen several YouTube videos of this amp, and it does seem to have a great high gain tone, and great cleans and some even claim this amp has one of the best sounding spring reverb. Quite sold on it really, but is it worth $700? Anyone here has or had one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a 20w amp is not appreciably less loud than a 30w when it comes to bed room playing. at a gig the 30w amp could have a little more clean headroom but boogies are typically overbuilt. its a good amp but i have no idea what they are going for these days

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      a 20w amp is not appreciably less loud than a 30w when it comes to bed room playing. at a gig the 30w amp could have a little more clean headroom but boogies are typically overbuilt. its a good amp but i have no idea what they are going for these days
      Quick reverb search shows that’s about the going price of that amp. Friend claims is in mint condition so he only went down from 750 and not any lower than 700.

Comment

The lower watt Mesas are still pretty loud for the watt level, but this amp gets most of its sound from the preamp. So just use the Master for the overall volume. This amp does sound good at all Master volume settings, though.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I am no expert in how wattage translates to real world volume, but just from my own, anecdotal, experience; Boogie watts are straight up louder than other amps.

I have heard a 90w 1x12 Boogie combo absolutely dwarf a 100w Marshall SLP half stack. I'm not sure if it's an issue of headroom or the super over-the-top midrange of the Mark series, and obviously it could be all in my head, but ever since that experience I have always been slightly skeptical of watts directly correlating to volume.

P.S. You should absolutely snatch that up.
          Originally posted by jcthejester13
          Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
            I am no expert in how wattage translates to real world volume, but just from my own, anecdotal, experience; Boogie watts are straight up louder than other amps.

I have heard a 90w 1x12 Boogie combo absolutely dwarf a 100w Marshall SLP half stack. I'm not sure if it's an issue of headroom or the super over-the-top midrange of the Mark series, and obviously it could be all in my head, but ever since that experience I have always been slightly skeptical of watts directly correlating to volume.

P.S. You should absolutely snatch that up.
            Man weird things are happening. He was about to make a deal for that amp, and my classic 30 which used to be his for 500 but got cold feet last second. So I’m just letting it stew for now and see how the deal evolves tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by 1neeto View Post
              A friend of mine is trying to sell me his for $700. Always wanted a Boogie, and this amp seems to be a rare small 20 watt tone monster. I currently have a Peavey Classic 30, and a Boss Katana 50 in my bedroom. The Katana is fun and sounds great at bedroom volume, and the headphone tone is decent too. But it’s really easy to get lost tweaking and downloading patches. The Peavey sounds great, but at 30 watts, I can’t play it past maybe 2.5 without having angry wife telling me to turn it down.

I’ve seen several YouTube videos of this amp, and it does seem to have a great high gain tone, and great cleans and some even claim this amp has one of the best sounding spring reverb. Quite sold on it really, but is it worth $700? Anyone here has or had one?

Owned 3 over the years. Have owned a particular early pre reverb for many years that I will never sell. AMAZING little amp that flat blows soundmens minds with its miced tone in the FOH regularly at whisper stage levels. Absolutely rock solid reliability on all 3. They have gone WAY up over the last couple years and for a clean one yes $700 is no out of reason. Hard to find and if something happened to mine would be looking guaranteed for another!
              Mine live super low stage volume no effects except a wah in front and a little delay in the loop. You can barely see the little amp on the floor behind me to the left and the person who was talking smack about my little bitty amp when I walked in with it got shut up HARD on that first note LOL! Running a WGS ET 10 in mine. Man is this amp a little tone MONSTER!

Last edited by Ascension; 06-04-2021, 12:36 AM.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Here is another clip with my Rocket only running a Boss DD3 in the loop here absolutely nothing else with a SM 57 on her at a whisper on stage. Baddest little grab and go amp I have ever played through!!

Last edited by Ascension; 06-04-2021, 12:36 AM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Unmiced clean here with a HOF mini in the loop and a Boss CS 3 in front.

Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    The lower watt Mesas are still pretty loud for the watt level, but this amp gets most of its sound from the preamp. So just use the Master for the overall volume. This amp does sound good at all Master volume settings, though.
                    I have a Fillmore 25, which is an 18/23 watt amp and while it is pretty loud, I agree with the notion that most of the tone comes from the preamp. I will say that it sounds a touch richer/fuller at the higher master ratings, but only up to a point and there is a point where it doesn't sound any better and can even get worse. Not sure about the Rocket, but my Fillmore does not like the masters too high. It starts to clip in an undesirable manner.

Comment

I have a Mesa Blue Angel, which doesn't even have a master volume- it is one of the very few Boogies that gets the tone from the power amp.

Comment

Oh yeah. Subway Rockets sound amazing (to me). Not sure what they're worth. It'd be cool if your buddy would let you jam it at rehearsal or at home for a few hours.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Looks like the deal is back on! Gonna go check it out and plug it in first.

Comment

All mine! Got to jam with it and couldn’t put it down. My buddy then connected it to a Marshall 2x12 cab, and wow! But it sounds amazing through the factory 10” speaker. Super happy, won’t miss the Peavey.

Comment

Congrats, and welcome to the Mesa family. The 90s Boogies were some cool amps!

Comment

Working...
                              X