banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank you Ben Fargen for making the sweetest fr**kin' Marshall amp ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Ben Fargen for making the sweetest fr**kin' Marshall amp ever!

This is my second day with my newly rehauled Fargen Epic 30 DC. I proudly call this the Epic 30 DC/VOS model As some of you may remember, UPS killed my Epic 30 DC back in September. Ben has been working on restoring it, new jacks, sockets, a brand new transformer that I swear is twice as big as the old one, some new Mogami cable in places, fresh tubes etc. The best part is that he redid the Marshall JTM-45 side of the amp to his current VOS specs.

How do I feel about this thing? It's worth every cent and every waking minute that I've been without that amp. In short, it's incredible. It has that VOS tone, but it has a unique twist: it has EL-84 tubes and pushes out 30w instead of the normal EL-34 equipped 45w one.

What's so special about it? Gearjoneser mentioned that his white chassis Bogner Ecstasy 101B could nail any Marshall tone in existence. This is the way that I feel about this VOS amp. It can be completely open sounding, compressed wherever you want it, aggressive and edgy or laid back and smooth, dark or bright... it's all in there. This amp has something very beautiful and unique: it has plenty of controllable feedback. You hold a note and it just sustains to no end, I've been told it's like the old Dumble Overdrive Specials. From others that have used it, they said it feels and reacts similar to a Trainwreck amp. I've never played either, so I can't comment on those personally, but from the clips I've heard of those amps, I see it being in a very similar ballpark.

Right now I'm running a Ceramic Blue Dog/ Silver Bell combo, I think I'll be ordering a Hellatone 30/ Eminence Red Fang for it and an extension 1x12'' with a Naylor SD-50 to cover all the bases. I'm changing speakers to see if I can get a bit later breakup on the clean side (which is a very interesting mix of a Fender and Vox AC-30).

So far I'm in love; this amp is incredibly versatile and it delivers a sound and a feel I've never experienced before. I thought the Savage Blitz 50 was "it" as far as overdriven tones, but this new VOS circuit came around and I think it dominates it. As far as it being a "bedroom amp", I'd have to say even with the improved master volume, it just isn't designed for it. The amp sounds like God when it's turned up, so it'll really shine at band practice and small to medium sized gigs.
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 12-22-2005, 10:51 PM.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Thank you Ben Fargen for making the sweetest fr**kin' Marshall amp ever!

Very cool & very happy for ya' Chris

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
      Very cool & very happy for ya' Chris
      I'm glad your Celtic Edana arrived safely and that you like it as well Welcome to the world of boutique, it's a beautiful thing I REALLY, REALLY want to hear Scott_F's "Franklin 30" amp, the quality looks phenomenal and I bet all of his amps sound amazing!

As for right now, there is only one emoticon for Ben Fargen:

The VOS owns
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Ben Fargen's VOS is a really one of the most amazing sounding EL-34 amps.
        I tried it out at RevolutionMan's place, owner of www.revolutionguitar.com

I tried out the VOS black tolex head out on Todd's Marshall 4-12 with Celestion H30's. It's kind of like a wide sounding plexi that has extended gain up to Shiva-level gain. Plus, it has a nice reverb, so the amp just sounds amazing with a LP or virtually any guitar. Strats would be right at home on that VOS as well.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

sounds like you found...."it"
          Originally posted by jeremy
          God hates bad guitar tone
          GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
          AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
          EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
          Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

But "It" is a scary clown?!?!?

BC Rich Mockingbird (Gibson Iommi/stock PUP)
            Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
            Marshall JCM900 50W Hi Gain Master Volume MKlll
            Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature amp
            Framus FR212 CB cabinet
            Marshall MG10CD (pretty crappy :laugh2: )
            Line6 Toneport UX2
            Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

cool chris glad you are lovin' it. ben does make some cool amps .
              Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
              Suhr OD-50
              Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Working...
              X