No announcement yet.

Got boogie Mark V 35 Watt. -Totally impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this MkV definitely does so much, and well, but honestly, there is an insane amount of gain and distortion available -I can't imagine needing all of the saturation in the second channel.... I guess Mesa is trying to give you an amp that does clean clean to Nuclear without ever wanting a pedal.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I've been looking at videos of the combo the last few days. None of them showcase a good Plexi sound- I am sure it is in the crunch channel, but videos tend to focus on the super high gain thing.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I've been looking at videos of the combo the last few days. None of them showcase a good Plexi sound- I am sure it is in the crunch channel, but videos tend to focus on the super high gain thing.
        I have an Origin that does Plexi into it and kills, I think I mentioned in one of the threads that it can do Marshall but not as well as my Marshall. So it's a super diverse tool but it can't quite do that mid range glory hole as well.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          So this MkV definitely does so much, and well, but honestly, there is an insane amount of gain and distortion available -I can't imagine needing all of the saturation in the second channel.... I guess Mesa is trying to give you an amp that does clean clean to Nuclear without ever wanting a pedal.
          Which is why Mesa/Boogie has a huge metal following. It’s the quintessential metal tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
              Bogner, remind me -which Mesas do you have and whats you application or favorite things about them? I think you have a Dual and a MK2 or 4 right?

Comment

Ok, so I had time to watch this whole this -super useful -I learned a few essential things not in the manual

Thanks Bogner.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Bogner, remind me -which Mesas do you have and whats you application or favorite things about them? I think you have a Dual and a MK2 or 4 right?
                  I have a bunch of them and over the years I have owned virtually everything they have produced. I think they sound great for all kinds of things. There isn't a sound they can not cover (depending on the amp of course). What initially drew me to them was the articulation and clarity and note separation on both the clean and gain settings. The adjustability and options were a nice change (for me) aside from the traditional Marshall type layout and settings. They were built well and just seemed to have so many more available tones in them than other amps compared to there. They had/have their own thing going on and I enjoyed that back in the day and not everybody had them so it was nice to not sound like every other person back then.

It was said earlier in this thread about Marshall sounds ( which they can do / somewhat do depending on the amp and the Marshall type sound ) but if you want a Marshall then get a Marshall. If you do want that Marshall sound the Triple Crown channel 2 is a dream for that sort of thing.

On these Marks (especially), there are a lot of oddball settings that are NOT your typical settings on other amps. It is impossible to dial in with your eyes. You must listen and turn knobs and be ok with what sounds good and where the knob is placed. Just keep in mind that most knobs somewhat control two different things so you have to work to find the blended balance. Glad the video was a help.
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

On these Marks (especially), there are a lot of oddball settings that are NOT your typical settings on other amps. It is impossible to dial in with your eyes. You must listen and turn knobs and be ok with what sounds good and where the knob is placed. Just keep in mind that most knobs somewhat control two different things so you have to work to find the blended balance. Glad the video was a help.
                    I think that is the hard part- you have to ignore the fact the EQ might be a setting you'd never use, and just listen. Problem is, unless you spend a lot of time with them, you don't realize that. Even my Blue Angel, which might be the simplest Mesa ever made, needs oddball EQ settings to sound the best.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My brother's former guitar player snagged a mesa MKV and is doing country & classic rock gigs with it. He's said the same thing everyone else has about Mesas being more complicated amps than most others. Great tone he got with it though
                      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Mesa amps suffer from the same condition as my custom wired guitars

-so many permutations to create a versatile tool, like adding series/parallel/single/tap/pre amp, boost and switching between those combos with either/or pickups and independent master volumes to blend -my guitars are difficult to dial in quickly without really understanding the downstream impact of each decision

but once understanding then -or the mesa amp, the advantages are pretty sweet.
                        Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-30-2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I had the BIG head and traded down to the combo version. Amazing amp. So much great tones. Enjoy it!!!
                          ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                          2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                          Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Working...
                          X