Fender 5E3 kit amp build questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender 5E3 kit amp build questions.

I want to start a 2nd post about my newly acquired 5E3 kit amp.

1) just how much clean sound should i get out of this amp ?

I have a clean tone up to '1', on the Bright Channel, and maybe '2' on the Normal Channel.
    After that, it starts to crunch quite heavily. Almost a clean to crunch with nothing in between.
    I have not yet looked, to see what valves (tubes) is in the pre-amp.
    If it has 12AX7's, can i replace it for lower gain units ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SD 5e3 Q1.png
Views:	170
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	6086116
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

there isnt a ton of clean headroom with a 12ax7 in v1, a 12ay7 may suit you better and is what was originally in the amps. the volume controls are also interactive even if you are only plugged into the other channel, so spend some time playing around with the other volume and youll probably hear a fair amount of tonal change. are you using hot pups? have you tried the padded input? that should give you more clean headroom but tweed amp in general, and te 5e3 specifically, dont have a ton of clean headroom

Comment

12ay7, single coil pups and this should help http://www.littledawgamps.com/the-in...-work-for-you/

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        there isnt a ton of clean headroom with a 12ax7 in v1, a 12ay7 may suit you better and is what was originally in the amps. the volume controls are also interactive even if you are only plugged into the other channel, so spend some time playing around with the other volume and youll probably hear a fair amount of tonal change. are you using hot pups? have you tried the padded input? that should give you more clean headroom but tweed amp in general, and te 5e3 specifically, dont have a ton of clean headroom
        Thanks Jeremy.
        Yes, i know about the interactive tone controls.
        Will play more with tis.

Pick ups :

Bare Knuckle Black Guard Flat 50 (Tele)
        SD A2P set
        SD WLH set
        generic ceramic Strat set
        Yamaha Revstar 502 (P90s)
        TV Jones TV-HV set
        TV Jones Power'Tron set.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
          12ay7, single coil pups and this should help http://www.littledawgamps.com/the-in...-work-for-you/
          Thank you very much.
          Gonna read it after work to day.
          Much appreciated

Comment

The linked website I provide will probably be about the most detailed and thorough site you can go to on what you can do to improve/modify your 5E3. You can add local negative feedback to reduce gain, you can blackface it with a power amp feedback loop, and you can do several other things as noted on the link to modify to your heart's content. https://robrobinette.com/How_The_5E3_Deluxe_Works.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
              The linked website I provide will probably be about the most detailed and thorough site you can go to on what you can do to improve/modify your 5E3. You can add local negative feedback to reduce gain, you can blackface it with a power amp feedback loop, and you can do several other things as noted on the link to modify to your heart's content. https://robrobinette.com/How_The_5E3_Deluxe_Works.htm
              GREAT !

Thank you very much.
              Going to look into it right now

Comment

None of them Ive ever played had much clean headroom. Maybe enough headroom to practice while someone else in the room is studying for a science test. But anything over that sounds like Neil Young to me, which is a good thing.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

larry carlton used a 5e3 for most of the steely dan stuff, amazing tones. guitar->amp = kid charlemagne

i gig with a tweed deluxe, volume depends on the speaker as much as anything else but if you want clean headroom, the 12ay7 and the volume adjustment on the channel you arent using is key

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    None of them Ive ever played had much clean headroom. Maybe enough headroom to practice while someone else in the room is studying for a science test. But anything over that sounds like Neil Young to me, which is a good thing.
                    YUP, just discovered that for myself

Comment

Yeah, and they get spitty and splatty at the highest volumes. But before that, there is a dynamic sweet spot that will make you discover your volume pedal.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

again, over all volume is mostly determined by speaker choice. i use a g12h-30 in mine which is pretty sensitive, a celestion blue is another great choice, as are some webers. the choice of tube in v1 makes a big difference in clean headroom. it is a 12w tweed amp so it wont be super clean and super loud, but like i said, ive gigged with mine a bunch and it has worked great

the splatty neil young settings are totally there if you run the volume up but even then, you can roll your volume down and it becomes much cleaner

Comment

Yeah, and they get spitty and splatty at the highest volumes. But before that, there is a dynamic sweet spot that will make you discover your volume pedal.
                          I discovered that real quick - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

again, over all volume is mostly determined by speaker choice. i use a g12h-30 in mine which is pretty sensitive, a celestion blue is another great choice, as are some webers. the choice of tube in v1 makes a big difference in clean headroom. it is a 12w tweed amp so it wont be super clean and super loud, but like i said, ive gigged with mine a bunch and it has worked great

the splatty neil young settings are totally there if you run the volume up but even then, you can roll your volume down and it becomes much cleaner
                            Right now, i have an open back 1X12 cab, with a Blues Jr speaker.
                            Probably not the best choice, but it is all i have for now.

Comment

Working...
                            X