Vox AD50. Good Marshall sounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AD50. Good Marshall sounds?

I've noticed lately how my hearing seems to be going down-hill a bit, and because of that I think I should give strong consideration to one of these amps or to something comperable. Even though I took precautions with my hearing during my band days I have developed tinnitus which goes nuts when I get around something loud.

I have a Fender DRRI that I use and love for clean sounds but have yet to find something (pedals) to satisfy my Marshall cravings without doing further damage to my hearing. So far all pedals to me sound fake and that something is missing.

I briefly tried out a Vox AD50 about a year ago and of what I recall the Marshall setting sounded pretty good but again, I only tried it out for a few minutes. If I were to get something like the AD50 I would only use it for a Marshall type tone, so the fewer bells & whistles the better.

So, to those of you you may own the the AD50 I'd appreciated any and all information be it good or bad about the AD50's Marshall settings and how they sound at a reasonable volume. I'm also open to any other suggestions as long as it has a 12" speaker. Thank you for your help.

Re: Vox AD50. Good Marshall sounds?

The Marshall settings on the AD50VT are decent, but I found the JCM800 model on the AD60VTX to be much, much better - probably the best non-tube Marshall impersonation I've ever heard. If you're into the Plexi thing, the Line 6 Flextone 3 does a better job at that.

Of course, my solution is a 50 watt tube combo and a pair of earplugs or an attenuator.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Believe it or not, I started on drums. Then I decided to become a musician.

Comment

If you are looking for Marshall sounds, there is only one way to get them- get a Marshall- not a SS model. Why beat around the bush-spending money on things trying to get the sound you want- just go get the sound you want-
      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

The Vox VTH 60 or 120 is the way to go if you're leaning toward the Valvetronix series...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by marvar
          If you are looking for Marshall sounds, there is only one way to get them- get a Marshall- not a SS model. Why beat around the bush-spending money on things trying to get the sound you want- just go get the sound you want-
          I agree with you to an extent Marvar. True, the best way to get that Marshall tone is to get a Marshall But that just doesn't work for some people. I could never have a non-master volume amp in this house with the family, and the houses are only seperated by a driveway, so there's the neighbors as well. I sold all my Marshalls (three reissues, one real non-master) because of this. I simply adored them, but couldn't stand looking at them anymore without being able to play them.

My Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX does a really nice job of giving me the Marshall sound again at a reasonable level. So does my non-master 1965 Univox U45-B (10 watts). The closest one though is my Vox U1246B 60 watt head using Rid's Carl Martin Plexitone pedal. To my ears, just nails it at controllable volumes.

I sure miss my Marshalls (sigh) but as I got older, I played less and less gigs that could tolerate a non-master 50 watt amp. Then it got down to none so off they went. There is nothing like hitting a power chord while standing with your back to the amp, looking out at the crowd and seeing the excited expression on their faces when they hear that sound. It's cool having your back to the amp, cuz you know it's there with that "Marshall" nameplate on that cool looking box that's sitting on that awesome greenback loaded cabinet. Am I rambling? Sorry. time to get back to 2005, LOL.
          My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
          or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
          http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
          700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul
            I agree with you to an extent Marvar. True, the best way to get that Marshall tone is to get a Marshall But that just doesn't work for some people. I could never have a non-master volume amp in this house with the family, and the houses are only seperated by a driveway, so there's the neighbors as well. I sold all my Marshalls (three reissues, one real non-master) because of this. I simply adored them, but couldn't stand looking at them anymore without being able to play them.

My Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX does a really nice job of giving me the Marshall sound again at a reasonable level. So does my non-master 1965 Univox U45-B (10 watts). The closest one though is my Vox U1246B 60 watt head using Rid's Carl Martin Plexitone pedal. To my ears, just nails it at controllable volumes.

I sure miss my Marshalls (sigh) but as I got older, I played less and less gigs that could tolerate a non-master 50 watt amp. Then it got down to none so off they went. There is nothing like hitting a power chord while standing with your back to the amp, looking out at the crowd and seeing the excited expression on their faces when they hear that sound. It's cool having your back to the amp, cuz you know it's there with that "Marshall" nameplate on that cool looking box that's sitting on that awesome greenback loaded cabinet. Am I rambling? Sorry. time to get back to 2005, LOL.
            Why non-master volume Marshalls? With the right tube and speaker combination, you should be able to get what you want with a master volume model-plus if you have loudness limitations, you will have to make some sacrifices -maybe some sort of modelling amp is the answer for you-but I haven't heard many that really sound all that close, unless you do quite a bit of tweeking- there was a local guy that had the POD Pro- and it sounded great, but he had access to the real amps, and he sat down and spent hours dialing them in-but it was worth it. Good luck in your quest!

Comment

Originally posted by marvar
              Why non-master volume Marshalls? With the right tube and speaker combination, you should be able to get what you want with a master volume model-plus if you have loudness limitations, you will have to make some sacrifices -maybe some sort of modelling amp is the answer for you-but I haven't heard many that really sound all that close, unless you do quite a bit of tweeking- there was a local guy that had the POD Pro- and it sounded great, but he had access to the real amps, and he sat down and spent hours dialing them in-but it was worth it. Good luck in your quest!
              You're exactly right--it's tweak city. I'm not in a band or nothing anymore though so I've got some "weekend warrior" time to spend with the Vox and my Line 6 Vetta. The only master volume Marshall I've ever had was a 1981 JCM 800, which sounded phenomenal but to me it was buzzy at low volumes. You wanna laugh? I owned that amp when I lived with my parents in a two family house. The only thing was I lugged that amp back and forth to band practice and gigs like three to five times a week so I heard it mostly when it was cranked up. I look at it from the perspective that he has bad hearing and that I've never heard a reasonable volume Marshall that I've liked. I've heard the DSL, TSL and AVT series amps and didn't like those unless they were at high volumes. Again though, that's just me.

Also hidden in all my rambling was an answer to his question that IMHO the Vox does do a pretty decent Marshall sound.

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

I guess I'm just too biased toward Marshalls- My JCM 602 w/greenbacks and Mullards is everything I want in an amp. Plus, I only paid $200 for it in a pawnshop- of course, I added the tubes and speakers- so I have more in the extra's than I do in the original cost of the amp! LOL- Go figure!

Comment

You just said two magic words--greenbacks and Mullards,LOL. I've never heard the 602. The awesome part is that you got what you want. Not a better feeling in the world. Since getting rid of the big amps it took me over five years to get a few amps that really do the trick for me. One of them being the Vox which I only bought because it emulates the VOX amps great (go figure). Was just pleasantly surprised to find the Fenders and Marshalls were pretty good too. That last part was for really for Mike M.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                    The Vox VTH 60 or 120 is the way to go if you're leaning toward the Valvetronix series...
                    Yeah, the heads are the way to go with the Valvetronix amps. The only way the Marshall models like UK 70's and UK Modern sound good is to have the head sitting on a Marshall style cab with Celestions. That's half the Marshall sound, so it needs to be there.

The Valvetronix amps are great amps, and very useful tools, since all it's features are childsplay to navigate. The onboard tuner spoils me, when I'm practicing or intonating guitars with it.

It's not easy to get the tube out, but I've had the best luck by prying it up and out with a flathead screwdriver. Change it to a high end pre tube, and use the amp on a quality cab, and it's as close to all tube as you'll get.
                    You can really shape the gain structures nicely, using the OD models. If you try one out in the store, make sure to play with OD models, in conjunction with all the amp models. When you don't, the tones aren't as lively.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                      Yeah, the heads are the way to go with the Valvetronix amps. The only way the Marshall models like UK 70's and UK Modern sound good is to have the head sitting on a Marshall style cab with Celestions. That's half the Marshall sound, so it needs to be there.

The Valvetronix amps are great amps, and very useful tools, since all it's features are childsplay to navigate. The onboard tuner spoils me, when I'm practicing or intonating guitars with it.

It's not easy to get the tube out, but I've had the best luck by prying it up and out with a flathead screwdriver. Change it to a high end pre tube, and use the amp on a quality cab, and it's as close to all tube as you'll get.
                      You can really shape the gain structures nicely, using the OD models. If you try one out in the store, make sure to play with OD models, in conjunction with all the amp models. When you don't, the tones aren't as lively.
                      Yes--I have a V30 in mine (combo) and I'm getting a 2x12 which will have the celestions. Change that tube. Gear, I got good advice from a few people here on how to get that tube out. Wrap some packing tape around the tube and pull while gently rocking it back and forth. Also spark plug pullers I've heard.

Comment

The vox 80's metal selection was the closest to my modded marshall jcm 800 that I have heard.
                        Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
                        Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
                        Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
                        Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                        Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
                        Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
                        1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
                        Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser

Agreeing with GJ about the head version.....I have the VTH 120 Stereo head and I Like being able to run it with either a V30 Marshall 4x12 or the matching Vox 2x12 cab also loaded with V30s...Great tone and great versatility.....

The best way I've found to remove the tubes(Mine has 2) is to remove the rubber rings around the tube and then use a spark plug boot puller that has the rubber on the ends....I've had the best luck doing it this way....The only real downfall of this series is accessing the 12AX7s....
                          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                          X