Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Settings for Recording Help

Hey everyone,

I got a quick question for you all. I am tracking lead guitar today I will be playing out of a 6505+ on the lead & crunch channels. Two songs will be using the crunch channel; they are pop punk songs with a lot of octave leads. The other songs are metalcoresqu with chugs, standard petallike riffs, and single note leads.

My real question is how should I EQ these so that way the mixing stage is smoother and I get to start with a closer canvas? How should I ensure that lead and rhythm don’t get muddied together too much? How should I aim the tones of the two?

Thanks for any advice and input! It’s appreciated, especially for my first time “really” recording something with a nice setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All general rules of thumb:

All instruments should have their own niches on the frequency spectrum (EQ); with some overlapping (because they do and will).

Guitar solos typically have more midrange so they stand out - utilizing the above rule, the opposite goes for rhythm.

You could boost somewhere on or between 500Hz - 1KHz on the solo, and scoop a little of that same frequency out on the rhythm.

But this is all relative to the mix you have.

BTW, you might want to pop this question on a forum that focuses on the studio world like Gear Slutz / Spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
      All instruments should have their own niches on the frequency spectrum (EQ); with some overlapping (because they do and will).
      THIS.

Along the same lines as what LLL posted, a low cut on the rhythm guitar is frequently your friend, unless your basic sound is already EQ'd in such a way to make room for bass guitar. Exact frequency depends on the sort of guitar and bass sounds you use and how you want them to interact, so it can be as high as 500Hz or as low as 100Hz, but usually somewhere in between.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

My rule of thumb is to try to get the guitar sounding as good as possible from the amp, then pay careful attention to mic placement . . . ideally I don't want to touch the guitar tone at all after recording with EQ - because then it stops sounding like my guitar.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
        X