Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sirion
    replied
    The best amp I ever tried was a Soldano Hot Rod 50+, and although I didn't get to spend much time with it, I suspect that it would do the trick. The Marshall JVM series, which is chock full with useful features in its own, would also work, as would a rig based around an ADA MP-1.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Well, at the moment....

My Mesa Stiletto Deuce has been giving me exactly that for a few years.

Diode Rectifier
    Bold Mode
    50 watt
    Lead Channel
    Tite Gain setting

To be fair - this amp has: Diode/Tube Rectifiers, Bold/Spongy modes, 50/100watt power, and two channels each with three modes: Clean/Fat Clean/Crunch, Crunch/Tite/Fluid Gain options. That's 24 combinations of clean channel or gain channel. So if you can't find SOMETHING that works for you...
    Ok, now, according to the OP, choose one of those combinations to live with as your signature sound. Without any pedals.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Well, at the moment....

My Mesa Stiletto Deuce has been giving me exactly that for a few years.

Diode Rectifier
    Bold Mode
    50 watt
    Lead Channel
    Tite Gain setting

To be fair - this amp has: Diode/Tube Rectifiers, Bold/Spongy modes, 50/100watt power, and two channels each with three modes: Clean/Fat Clean/Crunch, Crunch/Tite/Fluid Gain options. That's 24 combinations of clean channel or gain channel. So if you can't find SOMETHING that works for you...

Leave a comment:

• mechanic1908
    replied
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    '68 Marshall Plexi with matching 1960B 4x12 straight cab
    Ditto.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Drak
    replied
    Rivera TBR-1SL, which I've owned for over 20 years and will own forever.
    And then...someone else will own it.
    Because I'll be dead then.
    But not until then.
    How long is forever, exactly?

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    I guess I'd just have to make a non-boosted JCM800 work.
    I could think of a whole lot of worse ways to go.

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied
    Played one of my PRS Amps outdoors for the first time Saturday night. It was under a tent on a sloppy rainy night so I took the little MT 15 out with my little Egnater Tweeker 1/12 running a old 90's GT 12 75 not the Archon with my 2/12. Just pulled it out of the trunk set it up with everything at noon on the controls and got this.
    Considering how much better the Archon sounds head to head with the MT 15 it reinforced my decision that it absolutely has to be the Archon for me. Played out Friday night with the Boogie Subway in a small room and it was nice, Sunday morning with the Boogie F 30 and then Saturday with the MT 15 recorded all 3 sets . The PRS amps for me just have the feel and tone I have always wanted in my head but could never get in real life from anything till now.
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-16-2021, 01:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Phantasmagoria
    replied
    Luckily it doesn't have to be so...

Maybe my Bugie (Bugera ) 333XL Infinium. I don't record with it at home much for some reason, but it's my go to amp for messing around on the couch & jamming with & I've probably carted it along to more gigs than any of my other ones...I guess it's my old faithful. Almost never use any pedals with it.. the onboard reverb is more than I need. Sounds godly & contrary to popular opinion it's been reliable as ****. Never once let me down

Here it is in a raw/rough mix of one of my band's tracks (no post production)

Leave a comment:

• misterwhizzy
    replied
    I guess I'd just have to make a non-boosted JCM800 work.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainWhizz
    replied
    Personally, I like a 3-channel amp setup, so I can get (pushed-)clean, medium rock, and hard rock/ metal. Then pretty much leave the settings.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post

For the purposes of this thread, you have to dial that bad boy in to one tone, and never touch the settings again
    How many various groups of setting do you need for your main core tone? When you and that core tone and settings you usually would leave the settings as is if you were happy with what you found right?

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Well that sounds like something I'd like. I will have to try one of them out.
    Cleans are not pristine they are warm round and have some nice breakup when you dig in very expressive in particular in the 30 watt class A mode. The gain side is a little different to dial in for a Fender as it has 2 separate gain controls. Takes a little time to understand but once you understand them they are fine amps! Have owned a number of them 2 combos and at least 3 heads over the years.
    Here is a clip live with my true LO SN CS 1 /12 combo. https://app.box.com/shared/k8lvjisore. Wish I would have kept that one in particular.
    They were all 2/10 combos as production amps but Bruce did a few from the Arizona Shop as 1/12's as that was what he wanted the amp to be as the designer.
    Another live clip different outdoor event recorded with a little Sony personal recorder setting in a chair front row running the red 100 watt Prosonic head a Avatar 2/12 and my amp was not miced. https://app.box.com/s/os9ra20ogzxs56xo02z1fwxriwf73ncv
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-14-2021, 08:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainWhizz
    replied
    Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

This new Boogie Mark V amp I got goes to both extremes (pristine to full nuclear) most functionality best for in between - -it's a good candidate for a versatile desert island amp with clean, OD and distortion without pedals
    For the purposes of this thread, you have to dial that bad boy in to one tone, and never touch the settings again

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ascension View Post

The Prosonics were pretty unique amps for Fender. Bruce Zinky creations with a triple rec set up and 60 watt Class A/B normally. They had really sweet warm cleans and a firebreathing high gain. Owned a number of them over the years. the Red one off was a 100 watt Prosonic Tonemester hybrid with a Prosinic pre section an a Tonemaster power section. Zinky hand built it in the Custom Shop and gave to Brad Whitford. I bought it directly from Brad still had the Property of Aerosmith inventory sticker on the back when I sold it.. May well have been the best sounding high headroom clean amp I have ever heard.
    Recorded the guitar tracks here with it at a local studio using my Washburn USA MG 102.
    Well that sounds like something I'd like. I will have to try one of them out.

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post

What was the deal with these amps? What did they sound like?
    The Prosonics were pretty unique amps for Fender. Bruce Zinky creations with a triple rec set up and 60 watt Class A/B normally. They had really sweet warm cleans and a firebreathing high gain. Owned a number of them over the years. the Red one off was a 100 watt Prosonic Tonemester hybrid with a Prosinic combo pre section and a Tonemaster power section. Zinky hand built it in the Custom Shop and gave to Brad Whitford. I bought it directly from Brad still had the Property of Aerosmith inventory sticker on the back when I sold it.. May well have been the best sounding high headroom clean amp I have ever heard.
    Recorded the guitar tracks here with it at a local studio using my Washburn USA MG 102.
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-13-2021, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X