No announcement yet.

One Amp, One Sound For Life - No Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I NOW have the ONE amp I believe does what I want AFTER I had Benjamin Fargen do his' ODS Ultra Mods on my Fender Bandmaster Reverb amp

Somehow Unable To Get The Video To Work

Nevermind, it's working
    Last edited by Jeffblue; 06-11-2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Probably a 2204. (50W JCM800)
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Matchless Laurel Canyon

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

One amp, no pedals. I was initially thinking a head vs. combo when I created this thread but didn't specify it as such. We all have a favorite sound and an amp that provides that sound. What is it for you. In this case, channel switching is irrelevant. Master volume or no master volume is irrelevant. 50 or 100 watts, irrelevant. I know every detail accounts for the sound but et's just stick with the amp for this scenario.
          I get what you're after, but I think it's a significant difference in sound between a favourite combo and the same favourite combo played through a cab. Even using different speakers in the combo gives vastly different results. For example few days ago I swapped out the Celestion V type in my DSL for a Lorantz and it's all changed now, tighter bass, those ice pick upper mids have all but disappeared, but I've also had to roll back the presence a bit. Installing a WGS Vet30 into the same combo makes it sound completely different too, really smooth highs, lots of low mids and bass and the combo feels deeper, meaner and ready to chop your head off on high gain, but the cleans sound quality suffers because there's no sparkle anymore.
          So I dunno, from what I've played so far, probably a JVM410H with a 2x12 closed back and few spare speakers. Am I in breach or not?

Comment

I'd give up guitar if the only option was an amp with no pedals.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
              Peavey JSX
              I've been thinking about the weight of my JSX combo and seriously wondering how close I could get to those tones with my JSX Mini Collosal. It's been a while since I've played thru my MC, because my daughter has been using it. But I'm thinking if this exercise ever gets real I might swap her for one of my other amps and give the MC an honest go.
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                I'd give up guitar if the only option was an amp with no pedals.
                Well fortunately for you this is simply an amp dialogue and your favorite core sound and amp involved to get that sound so you hopefully can overcome the devastation for a brief moment and carry on the discussion.
                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I would probably want whatever amp could get me the sound of Godsmack’s first album, or Fuel’s second album, or just something like a hot-rodded Marshall tone.

Lack of fuzz, wah, whammy, or solo boost might make life less exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                    I would probably want whatever amp could get me the sound of Godsmack’s first album, or Fuel’s second album, or just something like a hot-rodded Marshall tone.

I am talking amps and no pedals here to identify core sound.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post

Neither of those tones are hot-rodded Marshalls; they're both Dual Rectifiers.

Comment

I am talking amps and no pedals here to identify core sound.
                        I think Godsmack was a Dual or Triple Rec, Fuel was H&K Triamp with some Diezel and maybe Marshall. I guess that, if I had to actually pick an amp, it would either be one of the channels on my Mesa Nomad (probably the red), or something like a JCM 800.

Comment

One amp, no pedals. One tone, the amp can have 50 channels but you are using it for one tone. Your favorite tone. Straight amp, pick one.
                          Can't do it. For me that's like trying to pick a single favorite color or flavor. Why limit myself?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

A 2203/2204 on its own won't get you to the level of saturation and sustain on those albums; they need a boost (or something like a Hot Mod) to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post

Yeah, but I can’t decide which sound I’d go for, those two specific sounds, or a generic hard rock tone. I think the game is that we’re only allowed one sound out of one amp, like we can’t even touch the knobs on it.
                              Fuel’s second album was, according to interviews with the band and other sources, mostly H&K and Diezel.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post

IME a Dual Rectifier half stack sounds just like a '68 Plexi through a straight 1960B Greenback 4x12. The difference is the Dual Rectifier doesn't clean up when you back off the guitar volume. That's the only reason I didn't buy one when I had the opportunity back in 1994.

Comment

Working...
                                X