One Amp, One Sound For Life - No Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Can't do it. For me that's like trying to pick a single favorite color or flavor. Why limit myself?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
    Sure you can, everybody has a signature tone. What amp do you use to get that tone?
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      IME a Dual Rectifier half stack sounds just like a '68 Plexi through a straight 1960B Greenback 4x12.
      really? not to my ears. both fine amps but pretty different in my experience

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

really? not to my ears. both fine amps but pretty different in my experience
        Agreed. Totally different power tubes, EQ and speakers. A rectifier head and v30 cab sounds nothing like a plexi through greenbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Sure you can, everybody has a signature tone. What amp do you use to get that tone?
          I don’t have a signature tone, I guess it’s because I grew up playing indie/ Britpop/ Britrock, pop-punk, grunge, post-grunge, nu-metal, classic rock, ‘80s rock, stoner/ sludge, hardcore.....

Comment

What a sad life

Comment

Anyone who's ever heard me play, knows that I don't have a signature sound.
              I await the flames.

Comment

Anyone who's ever heard me play, knows that I don't have a signature sound.
                I await the flames.

Nah, too easy. It's like fish in a barrel these days.
                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

You obviously haven't heard me play.

Comment

You obviously haven't heard me play.

I was thinking that your preferred pedal is what usually provoked the flames; not your playing.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

What? No blooze?
                      I’m shocking at the blues; my dad, on the other hand, plays some nice slide on his resonator.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

I was thinking that your preferred pedal is what usually provoked the flames; not your playing.
                        Plus I can't judge anyone on their pedal choices since I'm still sitting on my Diamondhead that was my 2019 Christmas present. I really need to bust that thing out. I also tend to buy another amp, instead of a pedal, when I need more/less gain or some different tones.

Comment

Rectifier. 90's era rectifier can do me fine without a boost if tubed correctly.
                          With the newer models (3-channel era) I would need a boost but could get by with just active pickups pushing that extra compression).

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                            Rectifier. 90's era rectifier can do me fine without a boost if tubed correctly.
                            With the newer models (3-channel era) I would need a boost but could get by with just active pickups pushing that extra compression).
                            Have you tried a "Rectifier Reborn"/Multiwatt model? Tightest/brightest Rectos I've ever played through, tighter than the Rev Es and Fs I've played for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                              Have you tried a "Rectifier Reborn"/Multiwatt model? Tightest/brightest Rectos I've ever played through, tighter than the Rev Es and Fs I've played for sure.
                              Got me a custom triple-multi back in mid 2011. It was just before they hiked the price so even with the black-tolex front and all black vents it was under 2k.

Yes it's tighter and can be really bright for sure if you need it to be. I really like that aspect when it comes to vintage and raw modes too, however I still like using a boost with it to shape the EQ and attack.

It's still an awesome amp without any boost, and it's about perfect like that for most stuff, but the boost can add that hint of sizzle and slop I go for sometimes while still remaining very fast feeling. The amp's gain up high can get all that but the lows start dragging just a bit. Depends on the pickups too obviously.

Last edited by dave74; 06-13-2021, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                                '68 Marshall Plexi with matching 1960B 4x12 straight cab
                                ▲ ▲ ▲ This. As long as I could play it good and loud, that would do for me.

Great core tone, sweet sustain, excellent touch-responsiveness and a broad spectrum of cleanup.

After all, nothing was specified about portability, roadworthiness, or volume constraints.
                                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                                X