No announcement yet.

One Amp, One Sound For Life - No Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can’t believe I’m saying this, but my one sound would be my Super, volume around 6, bass and mids up to where it starts to break up, treble around 4, bright off.

Last Sunday, a friend of mine who’s played one for decades brought over some tubes, swapped out a few, and showed me how to set it properly, and I’m sold.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

• i said a pro reverb. i could get through all my gigs with that amp and maybe an attenuator to knock the volume down for smaller places. super isnt that much different

Comment

• A silverface Pro Reverb is one of my favorite amps.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• i prefer the bf but there isnt that much difference. i expected a bf pro reverb to be my next amp, turns out it was a 5f2 clone, but im still getting the old pro reverb

Comment

• Mesa Triple Crown

This is the first amp I’ve had that can authentically pull off both old school and new school sounds. I feel like I could play any era and not feel like I’m trying to force a square peg in a round hole.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

• Originally posted by some_dude View Post
              Mesa Triple Crown

This is the first amp I’ve had that can authentically pull off both old school and new school sounds. I feel like I could play any era and not feel like I’m trying to force a square peg in a round hole.
              Great amp! I have the 100 and love it.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                i prefer the bf but there isnt that much difference. i expected a bf pro reverb to be my next amp, turns out it was a 5f2 clone, but im still getting the old pro reverb
                I never looked at the difference between the bf and sf Pro Reverbs, but I always thought they were more alike than not. I've never tried a bf one.

Comment

• as with most fenders of that era, the early sf ones are pretty close to bf. as the years go on and cbs adds stuff they usually get a little brighter, thinner, cleaner, and in some cases louder

Comment

• Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                    This might be one of the most passively disrespectful posts I've ever seen. It just screams, "I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU POSTED!!! I'M HERE TO TALK ABOUT ME!"

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      as with most fenders of that era, the early sf ones are pretty close to bf. as the years go on and cbs adds stuff they usually get a little brighter, thinner, cleaner, and in some cases louder
                      I've never tried the newer 1x12 silverface 68 Custom Pro Reverb. I know it is essentially a different amp, but the specs look good.

Comment

• i havent either. i bet it sounds pretty good but maybe not like an old one

Comment

• S L O !
                          From clean to mean and no gain pedals are need with Soldano amps , even with singe coil pickups .

Comment

• Ha, I thought from your title you were going to ask if anyone actually DOES this. The answer is yes: Me! I have owned only one amp for 30-some years and essentially used one sound all that time, if you don't count the occasional boost, eq, or od pedal. But eventually I always end up plugging straight into the amp because it sounds better to me.
                            I always played in original bands, so my sound is "right" for the music.
                            1978 Randall RG100ES into a 2x12 cabinet (G12-65s until I wore them out, now 2 V-types), always playing a Gibson or similar guitar. Never use the channel switch. Turn down guitar and/or play lighter when I want cleaner. Different guitars give different variations on the same basic core sound and I set the knobs differently in different bands but always in the same tonal ballpark.
                            There are probably a dozen other amps I would be just as happy with, but this was the one I found first.
                            Keep It Simple, Sucka!

Comment

• I don’t think I could do one tone. The closest I could get is my Super with the volume around 6 or 7, but I gotta be able to roll my volume back. No matter what I’m playing, I dork with the volume and tone knobs constantly.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

• whatever i said about the pro reverb earlier in this thread, i could totally do as long as there wasnt volume constrictions. guitar->cable->amp. done. i use a little pedal board in front of a nice amp due to volume frequently. a good fuzzface is a magical thing that lets you get all the clean to dirty tones you want from an amp but in a different way than straight into the amp but with a similar feel

Comment

Working...
                                X