Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptainWhizz
    replied
    I would probably want whatever amp could get me the sound of Godsmack’s first album, or Fuel’s second album, or just something like a hot-rodded Marshall tone.

Lack of fuzz, wah, whammy, or solo boost might make life less exciting.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I'd give up guitar if the only option was an amp with no pedals.
    Well fortunately for you this is simply an amp dialogue and your favorite core sound and amp involved to get that sound so you hopefully can overcome the devastation for a brief moment and carry on the discussion.

Leave a comment:

• JamesPaul
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
    Peavey JSX
    I've been thinking about the weight of my JSX combo and seriously wondering how close I could get to those tones with my JSX Mini Collosal. It's been a while since I've played thru my MC, because my daughter has been using it. But I'm thinking if this exercise ever gets real I might swap her for one of my other amps and give the MC an honest go.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied
    I'd give up guitar if the only option was an amp with no pedals.

Leave a comment:

• AdrianSD
    replied
    Originally posted by Bogner View Post

One amp, no pedals. I was initially thinking a head vs. combo when I created this thread but didn't specify it as such. We all have a favorite sound and an amp that provides that sound. What is it for you. In this case, channel switching is irrelevant. Master volume or no master volume is irrelevant. 50 or 100 watts, irrelevant. I know every detail accounts for the sound but et's just stick with the amp for this scenario.
    I get what you're after, but I think it's a significant difference in sound between a favourite combo and the same favourite combo played through a cab. Even using different speakers in the combo gives vastly different results. For example few days ago I swapped out the Celestion V type in my DSL for a Lorantz and it's all changed now, tighter bass, those ice pick upper mids have all but disappeared, but I've also had to roll back the presence a bit. Installing a WGS Vet30 into the same combo makes it sound completely different too, really smooth highs, lots of low mids and bass and the combo feels deeper, meaner and ready to chop your head off on high gain, but the cleans sound quality suffers because there's no sparkle anymore.
    So I dunno, from what I've played so far, probably a JVM410H with a 2x12 closed back and few spare speakers. Am I in breach or not?

Leave a comment:

• Hank-
    replied
    Matchless Laurel Canyon

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    Probably a 2204. (50W JCM800)

Leave a comment:

• Jeffblue
    replied
    I NOW have the ONE amp I believe does what I want AFTER I had Benjamin Fargen do his' ODS Ultra Mods on my Fender Bandmaster Reverb amp

Somehow Unable To Get The Video To Work

Nevermind, it's working
    Last edited by Jeffblue; 06-11-2021, 10:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post
    I would have to say it would be my JCM 2000. But picking one tone would be tricky seeing that the amp has 4 distinct voices and many parameters within those voices. If I had to park it in one setting it would be the Lead 1 position which is a hot-rodded JCM 800 2203 tone.
    You can get a lot done with that sound.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I had used a Dirty Shirley when they first came out, and it was exceptional. I can see that happening.
    Nice amp for sure! Did you ever pick up the pedal?

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    I would have to say it would be my JCM 2000. But picking one tone would be tricky seeing that the amp has 4 distinct voices and many parameters within those voices. If I had to park it in one setting it would be the Lead 1 position which is a hot-rodded JCM 800 2203 tone.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I had used a Dirty Shirley when they first came out, and it was exceptional. I can see that happening.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
    Combo or head+cab, does it matter?
    One amp, no pedals. I was initially thinking a head vs. combo when I created this thread but didn't specify it as such. We all have a favorite sound and an amp that provides that sound. What is it for you. In this case, channel switching is irrelevant. Master volume or no master volume is irrelevant. 50 or 100 watts, irrelevant. I know every detail accounts for the sound but et's just stick with the amp for this scenario.

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    This question bothers me.

I can get my sound pretty much with any amp and a Boss SD-1.

But I'm not allowed to use a pedal.

So it needs to be an amp with an extra gain stage and flexible EQ.

Without the SD-1, I think the best for me would be a Peavey JSX. I loved that amp until I realized I could get that sound from pretty much any amp by using an SD-1 pedal.

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied
    Originally posted by Ascension View Post

If it is would be a Marshall JCM 900 MK III Dual Master Volume head.
    Same. I wish Marshall would reissue it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X