One Amp, One Sound For Life - No Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Amp, One Sound For Life - No Pedals

You get one amp for your one sound. What amp is the best for you for that sound?

Bogner Uberschall
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

For this thought experiment I get to only use one tonal setting from one amp? In this case I’d probably choose the high gain channel from either the Friedman Smallbox or BE100, despite not owning either right now. Set correctly they clean up and have a great gain tone.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

'68 Marshall Plexi with matching 1960B 4x12 straight cab

Comment

A Marshall, no question. But I would have to sit through the current lineup to decide which one. The DSL's are really good these days and the JVM is really versatile.
        Then there is the 5150 III which is a superb amp.

One??? You bastard!! LMAO!!!!!!

In the end I'd most likely lean towards the Marshall DSL.

Comment

I would have said "plexi", but there are times when I need 80's hair (beyond my actual hair).

Based on the tone from the UAD plugin, I'd have to go with a Suhr SE-100.

Which is a hot-rodded Marshall Plexi tone (Doug Aldrich type).

Comment

id have to dig into things for a real answer since i havent been looking at amps much since i have so many toys. i want a fender bf reverb style sound and also a tweed/plexi style sound with a boost on both channels and power scaling. if i can only have one amp, it needs to be 50w at least. 1x12 combo but with speaker outs to be able to add another cab.

if i only get one sound, i want an old pro reverb with celestions, turned up to 8.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              For this thought experiment I get to only use one tonal setting from one amp? In this case I’d probably choose the high gain channel from either the Friedman Smallbox or BE100, despite not owning either right now. Set correctly they clean up and have a great gain tone.
              One sound, one amp, no pedals. It can be any sound you want but you only get one sound.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                id have to dig into things for a real answer since i havent been looking at amps much since i have so many toys. i want a fender bf reverb style sound and also a tweed/plexi style sound with a boost on both channels and power scaling. if i can only have one amp, it needs to be 50w at least. 1x12 combo but with speaker outs to be able to add another cab.

if i only get one sound, i want an old pro reverb with celestions, turned up to 8.
                That dog will hunt! Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                  I would have said "plexi", but there are times when I need 80's hair (beyond my actual hair).

Based on the tone from the UAD plugin, I'd have to go with a Suhr SE-100.

Which is a hot-rodded Marshall Plexi tone (Doug Aldrich type).
                  That is a cool choice. I love Aldrich's tone. I wonder how much different the Suhr SE 100 is over the CAA SE+ I have. For that Plexiglas tone I have the Suhr Scott Henderson amp. I like it a lot for that sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                    You get one amp for your one sound. What amp is the best for you for that sound?

Bogner Uberschall
                    Make that a Twin Jet instead of a Rev Green/Blue and I concur.

Comment

Does a footswitch count as a pedal?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd have to move to fantasy land and get a Twin that weighs next to nothing.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I'd have to move to fantasy land and get a Twin that weighs next to nothing.
                          Maybe you could get the Tone Master one to add to your DR...
                          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

EVH 100W Stealth for sure.

Comment

JCM 800 2203 w/ EL34

I love the sound of plexis but a master volume gives me more versatility.

Comment

Working...
                              X