Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminence GB128 vs Greenback (G12-M25) vs Neo Creamback

Hey guys.

Basic gear: Orange Rocker 15 head, 112 cab semi-open loaded with the Eminence GB128

I get too much bass (not in a tight way) even though I am using a stand for the cab which lifts it off the ground at an angle like a stage monitor.
    I would also like to get more upper mids.

I am considering to swap the speaker for either the G12-M25 (Chinese) or the Neo Creamback.

I heard on youtube some clips with the Orange 212V cab which is loaded with Neo Creambacks and I liked it a lot.

However this is an expensive speaker and I don't need the extra power handling since the amp is only 15 watts.

Also it seems to me that the Neo Creamback has a similar tone to the Greenback (have not found a direct comparison, but some people on other forums also think so).

My concern with the Greenback is that maybe it will turn into mush at medium volumes (usualy my master volume is below 1/2).
    Playing mostly classic rock and old school hard rock.

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks

Try an EQ pedal in the effects loop, how is your amp EQ set currently?

Comment

A little extra power handling in the speaker is not a bad thing when you are looking to tighten things up, generally, the closer a speaker is pushed to it's limits the looser the bottom end is going to be.

Comment

But how close to its limit is it going to be? 25w speaker with 15w amp playing at less than 1/2 of the master volume.

Comment

The semi-open cab is going to keep the low end loose and flabby. You need closed back to put air pressure on the back of the speaker and reduce the settling time of the coil to tighten it up.

Comment

OK but my issue is to reduce the bass, I don't necessarily need them to be tight for the music I play.
            Also usually 112 closed will sound boxy unless it's very big.

Comment

Probably not, but higher wattage speakers are generally tighter in the lows (and yes, I get it).

As far as replacing the GB128 with a Greenback, they are both different versions of the same recipe. Maybe a V30 type speaker is more what you are looking for? I'm pretty sure that is what the Orange amps are designed around.

Comment

Most modern Orange amps like the Rockerverb are designed with the V30 in mind but the Rocker 15 is a much more vintage sounding amp, think Led Zeppelin with added gain.
                Also I'm not looking to complete change the sound, I like the flavour, just need less bass and more upper mids.
                Besides I hate V30's....
                Last edited by mariosyjp; 06-17-2021, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Well, everything I know that would solve the problem, you said you hate.

I solved all the same problems described by closing up the back of my 1x12 and putting in a Heritage reissue of a Vintage 30. I play the same music. I'm not using a Rockerverb 15, I have an OR50, but the principle is similar. The only other thing I do to tighten up the bass is I roll the bass control on the amp back to the 8th notch on the dial. Makes mine sound like a Marshall. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I think I'll try closing the back of the cab befoe swapping any speakers.
                    It's the cheaper solution also!
                    My concern about closing the back of the cab is that maybe (?) the volume will increase and I will have to dial down the master volume.

Comment

the volume wont really increase but it will become way more directional

Comment

Okay... short version: you were right on all points!

Longer version: I tried the PPC112 (Orange 112 closed back with V30) and I was amazed.
                        I remember hearing the V30 in a Harley Benton 112 semi open cab and it sucked.
                        Cab construction and materials make a HUGE difference after all....

NCD !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X