NAD: Crate VC3112

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Crate VC3112

Click image for larger version  Name:	1D92A910-6A4F-4DF2-8149-19E53E03E333.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	6089215 Here it is next to my Classic 30. Had to clean pots and sockets and put some fresh tubes in but sounds great. I’m not loving the gain channel but run volume up and gain around 9 o’clock for low gain crunch and it’s usable. Best tones come with a B Custom Cool OD pedal in the clean channel. Blends well with the C30 which has a much looser gain sound that I always have liked.

I’ve got a couple EH12AY7’s coming to try and tame the gain and put a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in phase inverter. MDF cabinet isn’t great but for now can’t complain for under $200
    Last edited by t1r12003; 06-18-2021, 04:06 PM.

At that price, no, I wouldn't complain. 30 watts? That's enough to keep up with a decent rhythm section in a small room. Does it have scalable output levels?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had a couple of 20's and a 50 combo always got good sounds out of them

Good luck with it
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        At that price, no, I wouldn't complain. 30 watts? That's enough to keep up with a decent rhythm section in a small room. Does it have scalable output levels?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
        No it’s got a clean channel volume that comes up fast so at 9 o’clock it’s already crazy loud. I’m going to experiment with the lower gain preamp tubes as suggested by others on another forum

Comment

How does it sound compared to the Peavey?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I feel like I've played a couple of these over the years and never liked the gain channels either. They can sound kinda raspy. Can make the hot rod deluxe drive channel sound good by comparison lol.
            But you can go to town with pedals and have a good time for sure.
            There is no diode clipping and the circuit is not super complicated so with a couple mods to the tone stack and amount of gain you could potentially have way more than you paid for.
            Pretty great that tube amps can be had for so cheap!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              How does it sound compared to the Peavey?
              I’ll preface this with the Classic 30 has a Jensen Mod 12” 110 speaker upgrade that sounds great with extended low end. That being said the C30 gain is looser more splatty in a good way. I run an Xotic EP Booster in front with the dial all the way down and a Sweet Honey OD with a fairly low gain and unity volume setting that really tightens it up and that’s the magic

The Crate clean channel is a bit more scooped, slightly brighter but that may be the speaker and crappy cabinet. The gain channel is tighter and more upper mids to my ears. Not a lot of low end on the Crate gain channel even with the bass on 9 or 10 compared to my Classic 30 at about 1 o’clock.

Plan is a complete tube and cabinet overhaul. My brother is unloading an old Peavey 212 combo shell I sold him with 2 speakers in it a while back. I’m going to take the Crate chassis out, mount it in the 212 can and get a couple of really good speakers

Comment

Yes, the Classic 30 always had that splatty thing going on. I'd probably like the Crate, too.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just bought used and broken in Eminence Private Jack and Celestion G12T-75 for the 212 combo conversion. Mix of midrange and scooped tones should work well

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2FB4584B-69BD-4D9B-823E-038F7722A0A0.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	6089437 Here’s the old Peavey 212 shell

Comment

Name:	F0CAFD2A-C5B5-46F4-87FA-202650FCDFEA.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	6089447

Comment

Name:	5953A077-0D24-4A1A-BD55-FC00FFD2F373.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	6089770Need to fill in the gaps but chassis went in nicely

Comment

Name:	B55B18A7-1EB0-4F0C-A5BF-99DE12DB51D9.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	6089772 Now much easier access to the tubes

Comment

the respond pretty well to tube changes from what I remember

My Bands -
                            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Got matched quad of EH EL84’s
                              V1 and V2 have EH 12AY7’s
                              V3 - Mullard 12AX7
                              V4 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS (phase inverter)

Speakers arriving later this week then I can wire up and sound test

Comment

Working...
                              X