Orange micro terror dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange micro terror dark

Hey guys thinking about getting this head and cab but want to make sure it's not going to be too loud... I live in a house so I can get a little louder than an apartment but not much. Thanks for the feedback.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

I had one a few years ago. Decent little amp. It can get loud enough to play with a drummer but still sounds ok at low volumes.
    I didn’t love the amp but I just bought it as a backup.

Comment

I run one through a 4x12 cab. It can get loud if you want it to, but it does just fine at low volumes. 90% of the time mine's turned down to keep the wife and kids happy.
      "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

They are usable at low volume but they get LOUD quickly.

I keep mine with the volume below 1 when other people are in the house. For strictly bedroom/practice purposes they are overpowered.

Deceptive little amps.

Comment

Very deceiving amps and I've had all versions of the dark Terror to include the 100w. I still own the original Dark Terror and a couple micros. Always used and always enjoyed.
          Guitars:
          2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
          Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
          Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Comment

Yep, these amps can get up there but are easily tamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              Yep, these amps can get up there but are easily tamed.
              But do they sound good at low volume or do they have to hit that sweet spot like most tube amps?
              It's funny how some stories became historic,
              especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
              But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

They don't need to be cranked to sound good. The tone is coming from the preamp.

If people are at the other side of the house then you'll be fine with running the volume just below 1. Sounds good at this level, though there is a quite a volume jump from 0 to 1. Have to dial this in a bit carefully. At whisper quiet levels with someone sleeping or studying in the next room, it's not ideal.

Volume knob between 1-2 is easily enough to piss other people off living in the same house. Unless you are on a large property or alone, above 2 is out of the question.

Last edited by Animal; 06-26-2021, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

But do they sound good at low volume or do they have to hit that sweet spot like most tube amps?
                  I have this amp and due to similar circumstances use either a JHS Little Black Box or Carl’s Custom Volume Box (look on Reverb).

Note: the stock 12ax7 is a bit noisy, so it might be worth it to upgrade to a Mullard or Genalex Gold Lion.

If you’re playing metal only, stick with 12ax7. If you’re also playing classic rock, check out the Mullard 12at7.
                  Last edited by BenPerkins; 06-26-2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

It's a solid state amp with a tube preamp. You're not looking to clip the power stage.

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

---------------------------
                    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                    X