JCM 900 lead - 1960 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM 900 lead - 1960 cab

So, I have a a guitar for sale locally. A 2020 PRS SE Standard 24. Guy messaged me wanted to trade his cab for the guitar.
    It's a slanted JCM 900 lead 1960 cab, stock as far as I know. Looks like these are typically listed for around $400 and up depending on condition.
    Anyone have experience with these?
    How do they sound?
    Does this seem like a decent deal?
    The only heads I currently have are a DSL1 and an orange micro terror (currently played through a single man o war and a crate 4x12)
    I mainly play 80's metal, rock, and some blues

I'm leaning towards the trade but want to make sure it's not a stupid decision
    thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_345899233582864.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	6090286

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_933547294151468.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	6090287
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

the one i had was 16 ohms and loaded with 75w celestions. it was a good sounding cab with the 50w jcm800 i had at the time

Comment

Probably the most widely used cab in the history of rock/metal.
      Guys often swap speakers in this and every other cab ever, so take one of the side handles off and look in with a flashlight to see what is in it.
      t75 is stock form

Comment

Exact same cab I have - my new bass player was commenting all night on Monday about how great my amp sounded so there is that. I have the stock speakers and I drive it with a JCM2000.

Comment

I know t75 gets some hate these days, but IMO it's a great speaker for those high-gain EL34 amps like the dsl series.
          Whenever I have EL34s in my single rectifier I always go through the avatar 212 w/k100s, which are really just about like a beefier t75.

Comment

I love those stock cabinets. I've run all kinds of different amps through mine, and they all sounded great. I think my ears are just tuned into the sound of those cabinets. Even with my Fractal AX8, they are the IR that I use.

Comment

If I could find one locally for 400-500 I would buy it yesterday.

Comment

Well, looks like I missed out by taking to long to respond. I messaged the guy back and he replied that he sold it earlier today.
                "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

I had the 2x12 brother of that cab. It was the JCM 900 series 1936 with the same speakers, G12T75. I thought it was the greatest sounding speaker ever for years until I heard the Marshall/Celestion Vintage speaker.

Since it's gone I'd look for a 1960AV or a jubilee cab. Those G12T75 cabs are a dime a dozen.

Comment

The historical gold standard for guitar 4x12 cabinet.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I think the JCM800 version is the gold standard, not sure if there is a difference between the 800s and 900s, well, other than 100.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        I think the JCM800 version is the gold standard, not sure if there is a difference between the 800s and 900s, well, other than 100.
                        800 version had a number of speakers over the years:
                        G-12-65 (highly desirable), G12h-80 (highly desirable), G12-70 (undesirable), UK G12t-75 (super popular but less sought after/collectible)

900 version had probably-still-UK G12t-75's, not sure if there's any late overlap with Chinese speakers... did they rebadge those as JCM2000 cabs or not? I forget
                        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

800 version had a number of speakers over the years:
                          G-12-65 (highly desirable), G12h-80 (highly desirable), G12-70 (undesirable), UK G12t-75 (super popular but less sought after/collectible)

900 version had probably-still-UK G12t-75's, not sure if there's any late overlap with Chinese speakers... did they rebadge those as JCM2000 cabs or not? I forget
                          65s are pretty incredible to me.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

65s are pretty incredible to me.
                            Still don't understand the hate for the 12M-70.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Still don't understand the hate for the 12M-70.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                              Yeah, I'd agree -they never bothered me -but 65 were my fav

Comment

Working...
                              X