No announcement yet.

here's a combo -> cabinet question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here's a combo -> cabinet question....

So if your playing a combo and you want it to run into a speaker cabinet, say 4x12...

Do you have to disconnect the combo's speaker? What if the speaker and cabinet both run at 4 Ohms (or both at 16, or both at 8).

Can you run both the cab and combo's speakers, or must you disconnect the combo's speakers, thus essentially converting it to an amp head?
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Re: here's a combo -> cabinet question....

Without getting into the math involving proper ohm ratings, use them both. I do. Two eight ohm speakers, each delivering a 4 ohm load to the amp.
    Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

depends

if both are 4, and the amp was designed for 4, it's borderline safe total of 2 ohms.

What you could do is wire the internal speakers in series for 16 ohms, then run them with the 4 ohm 4x12 in parallel for a total of 3.2 ohms, which is still safe, uses some power through the internal speakers, but focuses on the 4x12.
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Rereading your question, I assume that you are asking about how to make a rating judgement. What do you have, and how are they rated?

Comment

What about stereo inputs each rated at 8 ohms...two combo amp speakers each individually rated at 8 ohms...

The notion is that JC-120s behave like two separate amps (stereo), so the ext. speaker jacks are like two different amps running at 8 ohms.

My cabinet just so happens to have a selector for 4/16 ohms mono, 8 ohms per side stereo.
          Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
          Originally posted by Sosomething
          "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

My thought would be that each side being 8 ohm + 8 ohm = 4 ohm/stereo setting on the cabinet, but I can't tell enough from the owners manual for the amp to be sure that the amp is wired that way.

Comment

Well I run a Marshall quad from my Peavey Bandit combo's ext. speaker jack, but with the speaker disconnected. I couldn't stand the sound of the Peavey speaker at the same time as the Marshalls. It works either way, but if you disconnect the combo speaker, NEVER turn the amp on without having the ext. cab plugged in! Sorry I can't help about the stereo issues though!
              Danny Jenkins
              Metal Official Band Page - Facebook
              motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

Working...
              X