Different Speakers Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Speakers Sizes

Especially in days when most amps are smaller and mic'ed, why haven't we moved towards using more than one speaker size? Why use two 8" woofers two carry the entire range of sound when you could have a 10", a 6", and a crossover working in tandem to better produce the lower and higher end of sound?

Yeah you'd lose volume, but these days that doesn't matter. You would get better sound from 7/8 strings and 24 fretters, plus you could better use mic placement and speaker choice to tune the sound. It would also make it easier to fix certain aspects of your sound without effecting others.

Have any companies tried this and it didn't work out? Or is this more about guitar guys being slow to accept the times?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

With a bit of skill it could also be used to make a combo unit that could be used for any electric instruments
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

guitar players are definitely slow to accept new things. all my amps have either 10" or 12" speakers and i like the sounds i get with them. i also dont use 7/8 string guitars or go for a modern sound.

Comment

Real men use 12's.

Endof story.
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I have a 1x15 cab I have used with my 4x12. It's a great tone but way too much for most rooms and unnecessary gear to drag around.

Comment

I can say with certainty that I like the response qualities of speakers in the 10" to 12" range best with regards to guitars and traditional cabinet designs. There's a reason why these sizes remain so popular.

That said, we're getting to a point where you can do some really interesting things with smaller speakers thanks to advances in manufacturing and technology. I'm surprised there aren't any truly groundbreaking 4x8" or even 4x6" micro cabs hitting the market, particularly for studio and home use

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              Especially in days when most amps are smaller and mic'ed, why haven't we moved towards using more than one speaker size?
              Because it doesn't work, that's why you never, or rarely, ever see it.
              If it worked, you'd have seen it gain popularity LONG ago.
              It doesn't work from a sound perspective, from a profit perspective, from a manufacturer stock perspective, from every other perspective.
              It just doesn't work.
              I tried mixing and matching different speaker sizes for a few years a long time ago.
              Mixing different variants of speakers Of The Same Size I found actually very effective (like mixing different 10's in a Super Reverb)
              And I have a few favorite recipes of what I like to mix together.
              But mixing different speaker Sizes, almost a complete, utter, brutal, miserable waste of time.

Except, I think (I think) some amps made for amplifying acoustic guitars have that sort of thing.
              But we're not talking about acoustic guitars here, are we?
              Just because you can dream up a raging black stallion does not put real hooves under your feet to carry you anywhere.

Ideas come, and ideas go, in one ear, and out the other and pfft, they're gone.

Comment

Didn't Dime used to use a full stack that was a 4x12 on top of a 1x15? Or was it two cabs each with 2 12's and a 15?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have seen a few mini-cabs with 4x6 speakers. It's supposed to approximate the sound of a 4x12 with a smaller footprint for lunchbox amps. Seismic and Crate make them.

Comment

I've run an old Randall RG120-ES with a 4x12 and a 2x15 and it sounded fantastic.

Comment

A speaker array with wider response has a really different sound from a regular guitar speaker.
                      FRFS speakers are great for modelers, or a preamp plus speaker simulation.
                      But with a classic amp they'll take you head off with the treble.

A few players have made it work but its not your typical rock sound.

And it is'nt just a matter of sound, it's the feel as well.
                      Smaller speakers have faster attack but they also have a tighter feel.
                      For most rock guitarists that's not ideal.

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      I've run an old Randall RG120-ES with a 4x12 and a 2x15 and it sounded fantastic.
                      Lemmy's bass stacks each used a 2x15 on the bottom and a 4x12 on top. That's a badass rig.

I kinda like 15"s for guitar. A blackface Super Reverb loaded with an Altec 15 was downright amazing,
                      And I've made a Marshall 4x10 sound pretty darn great too, though it was quite tight in terms of feel.

Still, for me 12" speakers give the sound I hear in my head, with the feel I want.
                      Am simply using two now instead of eight.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Drak View Post
                        Because it doesn't work, that's why you never, or rarely, ever see it.
                        If it worked, you'd have seen it gain popularity LONG ago.
                        You hang around messing with engineering or business long enough you'll find this is rarely the case.

I could see this idea being very useful in a FRFR speaker cab. With nothing but a 2" compression driver handling everything above ~1kHz crossing over to a 15" woofer handling everything below that. If you're a modeling amp company this would be golden. It would be highly efficient from an electrical standpoint, it would be cheaper to produce once you get past the overhead design cost, and it would be a neutral system that would be extremely easy to integrate with your company's other modeling systems.

With a bit of software you could have the cab model any set of speakers/configuration

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                          A speaker array with wider response has a really different sound from a regular guitar speaker.
                          FRFS speakers are great for modelers, or a preamp plus speaker simulation.
                          But with a classic amp they'll take you head off with the treble.

A few players have made it work but its not your typical rock sound.

And it is'nt just a matter of sound, it's the feel as well.
                          Smaller speakers have faster attack but they also have a tighter feel.
                          For most rock guitarists that's not ideal.

Lemmy's bass stacks each used a 2x15 on the bottom and a 4x12 on top. That's a badass rig.

I kinda like 15"s for guitar. A blackface Super Reverb loaded with an Altec 15 was downright amazing,
                          And I've made a Marshall 4x10 sound pretty darn great too, though it was quite tight in terms of feel.

Still, for me 12" speakers give the sound I hear in my head, with the feel I want.
                          Am simply using two now instead of eight.
                          I used to play my Shecter 7 string through my Carvin XV212 open back combo with a Gause 15" in a closed ported cab. Massive.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            guitar players are definitely slow to accept new things. all my amps have either 10" or 12" speakers and i like the sounds i get with them. i also dont use 7/8 string guitars or go for a modern sound.
                            you're exactly right. we want the latest & greatest, as long as it's exactly like it was 50 years ago. lol
                            I use 12's or 10's.
                            I sometimes wonder what a cab with a 15", 12" & two 10"'s would sound like.

Comment

I used to run my Classic 50 410 on my 115E cabinet. The 10"s really have some pop and the 15" I could feel in my core.
                              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                              X