Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage or Custom Built Ampeg?

Hi all,

I’m really jonesing for an ampeg vt-40 amp. The prices vary on reverb and eBay and it’s somewhat difficult to know what you are getting.

I thought it might also be cool to have someone build a clone of it…but most custom amp makers seem to be chasing after fender and Marshall. Does anyone know of a company that would make this amp as close to spec as possible?

Finally, which approach is the most sound in your mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't imagine getting a custom built one would be a good alternative to getting a vintage one and having a tech you trust do an overhaul (if something is wrong). Custom amps can get really pricey. Maybe troll ebay and reverb for a non working one, offer a low price and get it to a tech to rebuild it.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Not much sounds like old ampeg. I loved the stones tones when they used ampegs.
      I think it would be cheaper to get a used specimen and get it worked on. Like you said it's not a design that most builders these days would focus on our even be familiar with, it's mildly complicated and there's 12dw7 and 6cg7 tubes... Some pretty old school design and quirky implementations. So you'd have to find a builder that knows their stuff and can troubleshoot and tweak the build if it isn't perfect.
      ​​​​​Repairing a close-to-working specimen sounds a lot cheaper.

I think if you're patient you'll find one that has already had some TLC and is sitting in the hands of some blues lawyer that needs to "thin the herd", or some such. Good luck!!

Comment

Steve Morse used Ampegs for years- that was a great sound. My first real amp was an Ampeg half stack.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I also think it might play well with dirt/fuzz pedals and if I get speaker outs installed I could run it thru some of my other cabs if necessary.

There is a lot about this amp that is more promising than a fender baseman or souped up blues jr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X