Mesa Mark V continues to impress.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

We may want 100W tube heads into 412 cabs. If we are playing out, what matters is what the audience wants. If you are playing in your room, what matters is what you want.
    I can’t disagree more with the comment about “what the audience wants”.
    If you’re concern is what the audience wants you may as well plug into a 10 watt Gorilla amp. The average drunk in a bar has NO IDEA about anything tone-wise.

What matters when playing out is what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      There is a compromise somewhere, we were being told to turn our 50W Marshalls into 4-12s down 25 - 30 years ago, by the time we turned down to make the soundman happy, we weren't in the "magic" zone. Best tones I've ever had was a rack with a Kasha preamp into a Rocktron Intelliverb and Replifex through a MosValve (yeah...) power amp into 2 Avatar 2-12s, they had Eminence Redcoat speakers, don't remember exactly which ones, I had a small pedalboard in front with some front of amp pedals, channel switcher, and a small MIDI controller. It didn't exactly do bedroom volumes, but it would do reasonable practice volume, or, it could move air and overpower a drummer if necessary. And yeah, I'm sure it would have felt amazing thru a couple of 4-12s, but, not necessary, at least for me, YMMV.
      That sounds like a sound man problem to me...lol. Most are lazy and will suck the live energy and vibe of a band right out of them for volume sake if you let them. Imagine Motorhead or the Ramones or whoever having the soundman come up to them and saying..."hi fellas. I need you to turn it down a lot so my readings can balance out and we can have a nice ambiance in the room...lol. You lose the push and you have lost the vibe of the band. YMMV
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

If the musicians aren't happy with their sound, I think it would be difficult to put on a good show and make the audience happy. At the least, I should think it would be a disadvantage in that regard.
        I was not advocating going below where the musicians are happy with their sound. But that average drunk in a bar who has no idea about tone, does not notice the difference between my expensive tube amp and my relatively inexpensive modeling amp. I can be happy with my VIP 3 tone in a dive bar. Especially when said drunk stumbles up to the tiny stage, trips and pours his PBR into the amp.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I can’t disagree more with the comment about “what the audience wants”.
          If you’re concern is what the audience wants you may as well plug into a 10 watt Gorilla amp. The average drunk in a bar has NO IDEA about anything tone-wise.

What matters when playing out is what I want.
          I would not go down to a 10W Gorilla, or Decade in my case, but as I noted earlier I can live with my VIP 3 tone in a dive bar. If things go wrong, I am only out a fraction of the cost compared to my tube amps.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Draft or bottles? Please do not tell me it is cans.
            I thought we had eradicated PBR, like Polio. But since it's comeback, most places around here have it on draft or draft & bottles. Sadly, there are 2 bars around campus that also stock cans.

Comment

Cans are for diet soda and Hawaiian Punch.
              I will not argue against this. I would rather drink diet soda or Hawaiian Punch than drink PBR. ...and I have not drank soda in 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                There is a compromise somewhere, we were being told to turn our 50W Marshalls into 4-12s down 25 - 30 years ago, by the time we turned down to make the soundman happy, we weren't in the "magic" zone. Best tones I've ever had was a rack with a Kasha preamp into a Rocktron Intelliverb and Replifex through a MosValve (yeah...) power amp into 2 Avatar 2-12s, they had Eminence Redcoat speakers, don't remember exactly which ones, I had a small pedalboard in front with some front of amp pedals, channel switcher, and a small MIDI controller. It didn't exactly do bedroom volumes, but it would do reasonable practice volume, or, it could move air and overpower a drummer if necessary. And yeah, I'm sure it would have felt amazing thru a couple of 4-12s, but, not necessary, at least for me, YMMV.
                Most master volume tube amps provide good tone at less than ear shattering volume, but an old plexi could damn near kill a small animal to get in the sweet spot. A simple sound baffle or shield goes a long way towards not killing the audience, especially when using a closed back cab.

Comment

If the musicians aren't happy with their sound, I think it would be difficult to put on a good show and make the audience happy. At the least, I should think it would be a disadvantage in that regard.
                  A professional musician can put on a good show, even if they aren't happy with their sound that night. I'm a rank amateur and one of the channels on my Mesa Road King wasn't working (switch got flipped) and I still played through without anyone else noticing.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

A professional musician can put on a good show, even if they aren't happy with their sound that night. I'm a rank amateur and one of the channels on my Mesa Road King wasn't working (switch got flipped) and I still played through without anyone else noticing.
                    This is very true. I obsess about the smallest things, and work hard to not let it influence the show. But my experience is not the audience's experience. We can have a great show, and we are told this by dozens of people, and sometimes I only think 'man, my wah pedal is so noisy! I really need to replace that!"
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

I would not go down to a 10W Gorilla, or Decade in my case, but as I noted earlier I can live with my VIP 3 tone in a dive bar. If things go wrong, I am only out a fraction of the cost compared to my tube amps.
                      I hear what you’re saying but for me, I need to enjoy my tone. It needs to inspire me.
                      I’m not worried about what the audience thinks of my tone… of course I want it to sound good for all Involved but first and foremost, it’s for me and to best serve the song/band.
                      If you dig the tone you’re getting with the V3 then by all means rock it!!! But don’t settle for less just because someone else can’t tell.
                      Where would we be if EVH just settled?
                      Or Stevie
                      Or Clapton
                      Or….
                      Or….
                      Or….
                      You get it. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I hear what you’re saying but for me, I need to enjoy my tone. It needs to inspire me.
                        I’m not worried about what the audience thinks of my tone… of course I want it to sound good for all Involved but first and foremost, it’s for me and to best serve the song/band.
                        If you dig the tone you’re getting with the V3 then by all means rock it!!! But don’t settle for less just because someone else can’t tell.
                        Where would we be if EVH just settled?
                        Or Stevie
                        Or Clapton
                        Or….
                        Or….
                        Or….
                        You get it. Lol
                        I understand where you are coming from and I get it. I think we are heading the same place. I am just truly good with this in the dive bars to go easy on my back and potentially my wallet.

I still have three 100W plus heads and five 412s. If the October Pink gig is on this year, I will be hauling at least a half stack. Also my JSX 212 sits out with my VIP, so I have big bottles readily available at the house if needed.

Comment

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to fire your whole band on the spot, storm off the stage, and cancel the rest of the tour.
                          Oh hi Axl! There's donuts on my 412, don't take more than 4 please.

Comment

Except that with some musicians it takes a LOT to be happy with their sound & that's usually to the detriment of the crowd. They want to hear you rocking out not spending ages twiddling your knobs (or worse still..scrolling through menu's) between every song.

Personally, I've never played without an actual amp & 4x12 on stage ..anything else doesn't feel (or look) right. Somehow it adds to the whole live experience. Does the crowd care about your tone at all? yeah, to some extent they actually do imo (if it really sucks ..they will show their displeasure lol) ..just nowhere as much as you as a musician do. But what they care a whole lot more about is you putting on a nice energetic show and not just going through the motions (or twiddling with knobs all the time).
                            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

This is very true. I obsess about the smallest things, and work hard to not let it influence the show. But my experience is not the audience's experience. We can have a great show, and we are told this by dozens of people, and sometimes I only think 'man, my wah pedal is so noisy! I really need to replace that!"
                              It took me forever to learn to enthusiastically accept compliments when I heartily disagree with them.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

It took me forever to learn to enthusiastically accept compliments when I heartily disagree with them.
                                Not me, I grew up in a half Irish family.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X