Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170

Dear all,

Is there anyone hear who has an experience with this unit to use at the gigs. Actually I'm planning to run 4x12 cab with this little piece and I'm planning to use my MXR EVH 5150 overdrive pedal as main preamp in front of it. The venue has 300 people capacity.

Do you recommend this option ? Is PS170 quite enough to handle this gig ?

Thanks in advance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk_z...5iGvfU&index=4

what impedance is your cab?

Comment

The PS170 doesn't react like power tubes, it is just clean power. I would certainly try it first. I might sound good, but it wont sound like a 5150.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ive beem looking at this as an option lately and from the reviews Ive watched the 170 is very bass heavy and it seems to work best with a preamp pedal versus running a distortion pedal straight into it.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
          Ive beem looking at this as an option lately and from the reviews Ive watched the 170 is very bass heavy and it seems to work best with a preamp pedal versus running a distortion pedal straight into it.
          Yes, a preamp pedal, like the Palladium is very different than a basic distortion pedal.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I plan on running my Blackstar HT Dual into mine.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

300 seat venue and no PA???
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don't have direct experience with the Powerstage, but it should be plenty with a 4-12. Assuming they have a PA, you could do it with a 20W power amp and a 1-12, but yeah it should be plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  what impedance is your cab?
                  I've no idea. Typical 4x12 Marshall cab of the venue.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    300 seat venue and no PA???
                    Yes, they have. Actually I'm planning to use SM 57 as mic.

Comment

I don't see why it wouldn't cope in that size venue, but as mentioned above it won't react like a valve amp so worth checking that it will work tonally for you.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

J
                        Originally posted by risingforce View Post

Yes, they have. Actually I'm planning to use SM 57 as mic.
                        Just fine then.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

IME, the 5150 OD doesn't work all that great as a pre-amp, though it has controls like one. It is best when ran in to the front of a clean or clean-ish amp. There's a demo out there where the guy runs it straight in to a Two-Notes M Cab but the M Cab has pre-amp modeling in it so it works well with it. I've been using mine in front of either a Fly Rig 5 v2 (with the Sansamp on) or a D&M Humboldt Simplifier (again, has an analog pre-amp). In both cases, it's straight to the PA, no amp. But, if you have to run it in to the front of a house supplied amp, do it that way. It'll sound way better and you'll get the saturation you need.

That cab mic'd up is more than enough for a 300 head venue. You could get away with a 2x12 or even a 1x12 since it's being mic'd to the PA.

Comment

the reason i asked about cab impedance is at 16ohms you get a hell of a lot less power than the 170w at 4ohms, either way it should be fine if there is a pa

Comment

Working...
                            X