2x12 vs 4x12 using only one side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x12 vs 4x12 using only one side

wanted to bring the volume down so i used only on side of my 4x12 but i ended up cranking it anyway but it sounded really bright, almost harsh. got too much changes right now (fresh tubes etc.) so i don’t know if it’s just this but i guess a true 2x12 will sound a lot better?
    shouldn’t this be more like a oversized cab and sound bigger?

Not much volume difference at all, just less full-sounding IME.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      Not much volume difference at all, just less full-sounding IME.
      yeah, that’s what i heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
        Well, assuming all four speakers share the same internal air space, it is like having a 2x12 with roughly twice the internal volume and a couple of passive radiators. Kids, whip out your Radio Shack book on building speaker cabinets and see what that does.
        i have no clue, but your right, should be easy to find.
        i google it

Comment

Some cabs are stereo and will let you use left or right or both
          line6 cabs come to mind

In this case they have center baffles to divide the two halves
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Why not use your amps volume knob or get an attenuator?
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              Some cabs are stereo and will let you use left or right or both
              line6 cabs come to mind

In this case they have center baffles to divide the two halves
              Some do some don't, but I'd say most stereo cabs do not have a true separation.

Comment

my cabs can all be used in stereo, but there is no separation between the halfs.

last session my ears where blown anyway so its hard to make a true judgment.
                well i am back to full 4x12 and it really sounds much fuller.
                i like sound of the speakers when they are driven harder, that was the initial motivation, but the volume diff is really neglect able. just sounded a lot worse ( just harsh and no warmth and bass fundament). i read somwhere that the bigger the cab the more low end will happen. well if the volume is placed behind the speaker properly, than that might be true. definitely not in this case…
                i guess a proper 2x12 will not have the downsides i discovered?
                but a 4x12 still will always be fuller???

Comment

412 usually does sound wider and fuller overall, given the same speakers in each, but in a closed 212 I really prefer a wider-sounding speaker model, like a k100 or c90.
                  The difference between a 212 and 412 with the same speakers gets more obvious as the volume goes up.

My recto 212 sounds incredibly stuffy compared to any of the mesa 412 sizes with the same speakers.
                  Stuffy does make for very full mids IMO, just not as wide sounding.

Comment

The two unhooked twelves were be acting as passive radiators, as Little Pigbacon said.
                    By sapping acoustic energy inside the cab, they actually decreased the excursion of your active cones.

If you want the best sound running two speakers in a 4x12 cabinet, you need to remove the other two and block their mounting holes.
                    This allows you to get the best from your speakers by pushing them, and the sealed space will sound bigger than a typical 2x12.

Simple plywood will do fine.
                    Usually a diagonal speaker array (one side lower, other side upper) is recommended, especially with Celestions which tend to be pretty beamy.
                    Still, I knew a guy who kept the two top speakers in his angled 4x12 and was happy with it that way.
                    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 08-29-2021, 01:35 PM.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

ah, now i understand what’s going on with the 2 passive speakers. makes sense that this affects the lower frequencies the most.
                      i was under the impression that the bigger the volume the bigger the low frequency must be, but of course the passive speakers prevent this from happening.

thank you all.

might try this in the future, but for now i’am sticking with the full 4x12.
                      Last edited by ToneFiddler; 08-30-2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                        for now i’am sticking with the full 4x12.
                        words of wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                          I used to play one half of my stereo 1960A sometimes, because I had a different model of speaker on each channel. So I would tolerate the non-ideal behavior for the benefit of hearing just one type of speaker or the other, when for some reason I did not want both. They were in an X-pattern to promote blending.
                          I never got around to throwing different speaker types into the two sides of my 1960A, but I always thought about doing it so I could send clean channels to one side and dirt to the other with my Road King.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

I never got around to throwing different speaker types into the two sides of my 1960A, but I always thought about doing it so I could send clean channels to one side and dirt to the other with my Road King.
                            The actual Road King 412 is setup something like that iirc. I think it's a closed v30 on one side and a slotted c90 on the other.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

The actual Road King 412 is setup something like that iirc. I think it's a closed v30 on one side and a slotted c90 on the other.
                              Yep, it is. However, I didn't really want to spring for the Mesa cabinet. I did think about getting an open back 2x12 to stack on top of one of my other 2x12s as well, but I was happy enough with Greenbacks for everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X