banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vox AC30 S1 better, worse or just different ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AC30 S1 better, worse or just different ?

I noticed recently Vox have brought out a new version of the AC30. It was showcased a while back but first I've seen of it. Single channel, single speaker, single input, overdrive ,digital Reverb -but no tremolo. It is in fact a scaled up version of the AC10, which I own, except this has an effects loop & ventilated back panel. It is cheaper than the AC30 C1.. Considerably cheaper depending on spec. Whether it sounds better or worse than the standard amp with it's 60s style EQ I dont know. Has anyone seen or bought one ? Still uses the standard ECC83 / EL84 tube set.
    Last edited by Gold star; 08-29-2021, 10:23 AM.

I bet it'll make a pretty good gigging amp, if it's in any way reliable.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

It's only cheaper because they cut out half the stuff that made an Ac30 and Ac30. Not a bad thing. Many people only ever use the normal channel, a few probably use the Tremolo channel and a few the Top Boost channel. I can't say that I have heard one yet, but of the many standard models I have heard, they are a type of amp that requires the player to work to its strengths. I cringe when I know one is going to show up on my stage ( I am a sound engineer by trade ) and I am only rarely surprised that it sounds good. I am not a fan of the AC30 circuit. The AC15 though!!!!

Comment

It's just the Top Boost channel of an AC30, not even with the master/tone cut section. I don't have that amp, but that circuit sounds good, if you know how to twist the knobs. What I would wonder is if they finally solved the noise/buzz problem with the circuit. Vox' are buzz-monkeys. My AC30CCX has a switch on the back, just to make the noise 'less', if that tells you.

Comment

The original AC30 chassis design is a scary looking thing. The circuit itself is also not well designed from a noise standpoint. Many of the grounds that make the amp work rely simply on the connection from one chassis section to another ( the chassis is made in sections and they bolt together ). They didn't veer far from the original design much in the newer reissues, so many of the grounding issues, as well as some created by the PCB design, created issues. They attempted some band-aides in subsequent revisions, but none completely solved the issues.

There is an amp tech on YouTube called Psionic Audio that specializes ( at least seemingly ) in Vox amps. He goes through great detail and lengths to describe and prescribe how to fix the buzz issues among other things in the AC series amps. As I said, I am not a fan of the AC30 circuit, and while it does work very well for some people, in the perhaps hundred or more I have come across, only a few have been desirable to my ear. Not sure which channel of the amp is the most popular? I figured it was the top-boost channel, but the most famous users of the amp use the normal channel, the top boost channel is so bright I would rather chew glass than listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
            The original AC30 chassis design is a scary looking thing. The circuit itself is also not well designed from a noise standpoint. Many of the grounds that make the amp work rely simply on the connection from one chassis section to another ( the chassis is made in sections and they bolt together ). They didn't veer far from the original design much in the newer reissues, so many of the grounding issues, as well as some created by the PCB design, created issues. They attempted some band-aides in subsequent revisions, but none completely solved the issues.

There is an amp tech on YouTube called Psionic Audio that specializes ( at least seemingly ) in Vox amps. He goes through great detail and lengths to describe and prescribe how to fix the buzz issues among other things in the AC series amps. As I said, I am not a fan of the AC30 circuit, and while it does work very well for some people, in the perhaps hundred or more I have come across, only a few have been desirable to my ear. Not sure which channel of the amp is the most popular? I figured it was the top-boost channel, but the most famous users of the amp use the normal channel, the top boost channel is so bright I would rather chew glass than listen to it.
            so this version with the single channel , gain, master could be better...for many people

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
              It's only cheaper because they cut out half the stuff that made an Ac30 and Ac30. Not a bad thing. Many people only ever use the normal channel, a few probably use the Tremolo channel and a few the Top Boost channel. I can't say that I have heard one yet, but of the many standard models I have heard, they are a type of amp that requires the player to work to its strengths. I cringe when I know one is going to show up on my stage ( I am a sound engineer by trade ) and I am only rarely surprised that it sounds good. I am not a fan of the AC30 circuit. The AC15 though!!!!
              The original AC circuit is more complex and lacks a modern gain - or overdrive. This has and from what I can see the AC30 S1 or 1 twelve , is a scaled up version of the AC10 C1 .which has proved popular . I have one. . .but the S1 also has an effects loop..

Comment

Working...
              X