Thinking about getting a wah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting a wah

Well not too long ago my crappy old DOD wah pedal died (can't complain, I got it free). It was kind of fun to mess around with but I never really got any cool tones. Well today I was over at my best buddies house playing his american strat through a Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Wah and my Green Line overdrive pedal and it sounded really cool and was a lot of fun to mess around with. What wahs do you reccomend for me, I would like somthing that it good for ****ed wah positions and doesn't have much growl. Wahs I currently have in mind are: Vox Wah (possibly the McCoy reissue if I have the cash) Dunlop Crybaby Classic with fasal, the HBE wah and the Budda Wah. On the cheaper side I am considering a Crybaby or a Hendrix Crybaby. Sadly the only wahs in town that I can try are the Vox, the HBE, the Budda and the Hendrix Crybaby. Any good wahs I havn't thought of?
    Originally posted by ratherdashing
    If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Re: Thinking about getting a wah

A friend of mine just got the crybaby from hell and swears by it. Says he can get any wah sound you want. I've also been interested a Snarling Dogs wah, but I've never heard one.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul
      A friend of mine just got the crybaby from hell and swears by it. Says he can get any wah sound you want. I've also been interested a Snarling Dogs wah, but I've never heard one.
      +1 to that!
      I've owned a Crybaby from Hell too, it really is incredibly versatile. And the 17 dB volume boost is 'interesting', to say the least
      I got rid of it, because I did not want a separate wah with the Boss GT-8 anymore. The wah in the GT is very nice too, so I just didn't need it anymore.
      Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
      Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

ive heard notihng but bad things about the fasel. i have an original and its ok, good for what they advertise. i plan on getting it modded later.

Comment

I'd say go with a Vox either Clyde or 847 for a good wah at a decent price...

If you want to go higher in price, there are the Fulltone Clydes, that some guys swear by here for the best vintage like wah pedal for Hendrix, Clapton etc... I love Fulltones pedals and have 2, so I can easily believe them.
          I've also heard that Teese Wahs are great also...

I'd avoid Crybabys just from experience, I had a Jimi Hendrix Crybaby before I got my Vox modded by Stratdeluxer97 here on the forum (AWESOME wah)... and the Crybaby was a piece of crap compared, very noisy and nasal, and it would often feedback getting low in the sweep.

It really depends how high in the price your willing to go... but you cant go wrong with Fulltones or Teeses... if not the Vox's are the next best option.

Good luck man!

Alex
          There is no spoone
          - The Matricks

Comment

Dont overlook Morleys, lots of choices,dependable and not too expensive.

Comment

I've played Crybabys for years but they always end up with scratchy pots and I can't deal with the extra noise.

My daughter got me a Morley Bad Horsey wa for Xmas. She's very considerate for a 5 year old. I'll let you know how it sounds tomorrow.
              www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
              www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by kjrocks
                Dont overlook Morleys, lots of choices,dependable and not too expensive.
                I like the Tremonti Wah the best out of the Morleys. The Bad Horsies sound weird to me, like they're voiced strangely. The Tremonti sounds like a really fat Crybaby.

Personally I uses a 535Q with a Fasel (available by special order) and this thing sounds GREAT!!

Comment

Maybe its the amp but I really like the Bad Horsie 2. The wa does sound different than the typical crybaby but I like it. It has a fairly thick tone with a cool roundness. Its not as harsh as I find the crybabys to be in the top end and it is definately quieter.

The contour mode is pretty cool as well. I haven't cranked the amp yet but even at Xmas morning levels (if there is such a thing with a 180 watt Mesa amp) with the contour and level at 3 oclock there is a sweet spot that acts like the old Boss distortion/sustainer pedal. Very cool and unexpected.

My overall distorted tone is somewhere between vintage and modern. Not too gainy but definately hotter than a Marshall and this pedal seems to work well with that type of thing.

I like it so far.........

T4D got a new gig!

Comment

I like a wah that works everywhere - and the Vox 847 fit the bill. I am no wah expert, but I love this wah.
                    1973 Les Paul Standard
                    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Love the Teese.
                      "music heals"
                      facebook

Comment

The Fulltone Clyde Wah is in my opinion,the best vintage type wah you can currently buy.....I also prefer my own modded Vox 847 wahs over anything else I can currently buy..
                        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I got my Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell and let me tell you... this wah ROCKS!

You really can get any wah sound you want with the 6-position frequency center switch, the Q adjustment knob (wah subtlely... higher Q = more pronounced "wah"), fine-tune knob (adjust high end at toe down position), and the adjustable kick-in boost. You can also set it up so you have the input and output both on the left side, or input on the right and output on the left. The sound goes from low, throaty Wylde Wah-style sounds to really high endy, Shaft-style sounds, and anything in between.

Plus, I find the Fasel is an improvement over Dunlop's regular inductor. I A/B'ed this wah with a regular Crybaby without Fasel, finding the regular Crybaby's sound in the CFH. The only difference was that the CFH was a little warmer and rounder.

The only drawback for the Crybaby From Hell is that it's really expensive if you buy it in a store... I bought mine off of eBay and saved almost $100 CAD.
                          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
                            I got my Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell and let me tell you... this wah ROCKS!

You really can get any wah sound you want with the 6-position frequency center switch, the Q adjustment knob (wah subtlely... higher Q = more pronounced "wah"), fine-tune knob (adjust high end at toe down position), and the adjustable kick-in boost. You can also set it up so you have the input and output both on the left side, or input on the right and output on the left. The sound goes from low, throaty Wylde Wah-style sounds to really high endy, Shaft-style sounds, and anything in between.

Plus, I find the Fasel is an improvement over Dunlop's regular inductor. I A/B'ed this wah with a regular Crybaby without Fasel, finding the regular Crybaby's sound in the CFH. The only difference was that the CFH was a little warmer and rounder.

The only drawback for the Crybaby From Hell is that it's really expensive if you buy it in a store... I bought mine off of eBay and saved almost $100 CAD.
                            The Fasel inductor is a step up from the cheap Dunlop crap they use,but it's no match for the Fulltone inductor or the newer "Halo" inductors I get for $28 each out of Germany....Nothing quite beats the tone and vocal range of an earlier vintage wah or a wah that's got the right components in place compared to anything that Dunlop currently makes.....No comparison once you've heard a Fulltone,some of Teese's stuff,or a modded Vox 847 with the components mentioned....
                            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

StratDeluxer, I have a V847 here that I true bypassed but it's noisey and needs serious help tonally. You can have a crack at it if you like. I wouldn't mind having an 847 that actually sounded good.

T4D got a new gig!

Comment

Working...
                              X