Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: fat souding 12AX7's

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
    I have vintage Siemens that I really like.

If you're looking for something NOT too expensive, try the Groove Tubes 12AX7-M.
    I would say that a $25 tube that is going to go bad within six months is way too expensive. AVOID that GT 12AX7-M, the entire lot are defective. Try a New Sensor TungSol instead, unlike the GT Mullard, they actually work!

Cheers,

CJ
    www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Originally posted by Usurper666
      I would say that a $25 tube that is going to go bad within six months is way too expensive. AVOID that GT 12AX7-M, the entire lot are defective. Try a New Sensor TungSol instead, unlike the GT Mullard, they actually work!

Cheers,

CJ
      +1

Comment

I had a new Tungsol lying around, so I put it in the Vox Valvetronix modeling head, and it definitely sounds better than the Sovtek WXT that was in it.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Usurper666

Cheers,

CJ
          +100

I recently was given a GT12AX7-M by the shop owner who sold me my amp. I told him that V1 had gone microphonic and he just hands me this $25 tube and says "here, try this and tell me what is sounds like, I got it in a few days ago and havn't tried them yet" I put it in and it sounded fabulous. I go onto the Duncan forum and ask about it and a bunch of people tell me they are horrible and defective. Well i'm kinda like "morons, this sounds good" so I turn my amp back on and about an hour later it starts making popping noises occationally, I hadn't even had it for a week. The tube still sounds so much better than my old one that I am keeping it untill it gets really bad but if I had bought it I would be pissed. Mine might have been particularly bad but any $25 tube that starts making unwanted noises in a week of use is crap, period. I have been considering the EH Gold Pin or Tung-Sol 12AX7s recently, what are they like, i've heard good things.
          Last edited by schecterplayer; 12-28-2005, 08:37 PM.
          Originally posted by ratherdashing
          If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by schecterplayer
            +100

I recently was given a GT12AX7-M by the shop owner who sold me my amp. I told him that V1 had gone microphonic and he just hands me this $25 tube and says "here, try this and tell me what is sounds like, I got it in a few days ago and havn't tried them yet" I put it in and it sounded fabulous. I go onto the Duncan forum and ask about it and a bunch of people tell me they are horrible and defective. Well i'm kinda like "morons, this sounds good" so I turn my amp back on and about an hour later it starts making popping noises occationally, I hadn't even had it for a week. The tube still sounds so much better than my old one that I am keeping it untill it gets really bad but if I had bought it I would be pissed. Mine might have been particularly bad but any $25 tube that starts making unwanted noises in a week of use is crap, period. I have been considering the EH Gold Pin or Tung-Sol 12AX7s recently, what are they like, i've heard good things.
            Your experience with the GT 12AX7-M is typical, I had four of them do that to me and I know several others that had the same thing happen. Go with the Tung Sol 12AX7, they are great tubes.

Cheers,

CJ
            www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Fat tone would come from the power tubes, yes/no?
              Preamp tubes govern head room and relative brightness, yes/no?
              Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
              -Conrad Hilton

Comment

For what amp Christian???

JJs are easy to find at a fair price & are across the board, a GOOD ALL AROUNDer....but for some reason, I'm not a big fan. Too generic sounding, if that makes any sense.

I've used RFT ECC83/ECC81s in a handful of amps & recently put them in the Edana...smoother singing cleans & a better bite for some dirt. Not on the cheap side, but basically a Siemens for less.

Here's a description from www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

ECC83/R.F.T: German valve that I have seen also branded Brimar, Siemens & Telefunken. This tube was also used for a long period by Marshall. The valve has a rich bass response with great drive. Very low in microphonics due to thick glass envelope. The valve also distorts earlier than the U.S.A types. The valve does show less treble response than the U.S.A types which lends the valve to be used in a more rock style set up. The rich harmonic distortion make this a great valve in Marshall. Boogie and Vox amps. It showed rich sustain with plenty of bass crunch. Mid range was clear and detailed. Defiantly for the rockers and blues players.

I've also used Sovtek 12AX7LPS, which I like a little better than the 9th Gen Shuguang/Chinese; not as "gritty" but still plenty of bite...if you want more "grit", grab a Shuguang. Both are fairly inexpensive & easy to find. I think I got new ones of each on Ebay for like $5.00 each.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Oh and my local Mom & Pop shop refuses to carry the GT 12AX7M Mullard clones due to constant QC problems.

I trust them & their judgement, so I've stayed away from those.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                  Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                  FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
                  X