Uh OH. FREE STUFF.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh OH. FREE STUFF.

Alright folks. I got a deal. I have a Tech 21 Double Drive, OR a 59/Custom Hybrid. Your choice, it's FREE for anyone who can resolve this unfortunate issue. I recently got a Vox Cambridge, great amp, did the 56 mod. Thanks again Chris, good business. Well, somehow, I accidently broke a pin off the chip when resecuring the optocoupler. Alright no biggie. I purchased another and installed to the exact instructions. Low and behold, I turn the amp on and something starts to smell. I turn it off. The Power transistor was incredibly hot. I tried again. Same deal. Third time, nothing came on, not even the LED. I mean, you can hear it click on and off, ect, even the first couple of times, but not this time. So I redid the wiring, double checked everything. Turned it on, nothing, but a smell. I went through 3 different chips. With each one the same deal. When I touched the large blue capacitor next to the power transistor, I recieved a small shock. The I touched the 56 chip, again small shock. So, it seems obvious power is running through. The slow blow fuse looks alright. The only thing that looks burnt is Z04, which is a rectifier/diode. It was that way before. I change out the optocoupler again. Still no prevail. All the joints look good. So, what's up. Is it the blue capacitor next the power transistor? The electylic capacitor connected to the 56 Chip? I'm serious about this deal. I will pay for SHIPPING. I can't get it into a tech for a month, so I figured if I put enough motivated minds behind this, I could do it myself, with the obvious assistance of someone who knows what the hell their doing. You can post here or send me an PM. Thanks to all in advanced.

Bo
    As I walk down the street
    I need a job to sleep in the shade
    Find food every once and awhile
    But not enough to bring a smile
    A tank of gas is a treasure to me
    I know now that nothing is free
    Talk to you every now and then
    Never felt so alone, I am

~Blink 182

Re: Uh OH. FREE STUFF.

Originally posted by remingtonbo2001
    Alright folks. I got a deal. I have a Tech 21 Double Drive, OR a 59/Custom Hybrid. Your choice, it's FREE for anyone who can resolve this unfortunate issue. I recently got a Vox Cambridge, great amp, did the 56 mod. Thanks again Chris, good business. Well, somehow, I accidently broke a pin off the chip when resecuring the optocoupler. Alright no biggie. I purchased another and installed to the exact instructions. Low and behold, I turn the amp on and something starts to smell. I turn it off. The Power transistor was incredibly hot. I tried again. Same deal. Third time, nothing came on, not even the LED. I mean, you can hear it click on and off, ect, even the first couple of times, but not this time. So I redid the wiring, double checked everything. Turned it on, nothing, but a smell. I went through 3 different chips. With each one the same deal. When I touched the large blue capacitor next to the power transistor, I recieved a small shock. The I touched the 56 chip, again small shock. So, it seems obvious power is running through. The slow blow fuse looks alright. The only thing that looks burnt is Z04, which is a rectifier/diode. It was that way before. I change out the optocoupler again. Still no prevail. All the joints look good. So, what's up. Is it the blue capacitor next the power transistor? The electylic capacitor connected to the 56 Chip? I'm serious about this deal. I will pay for SHIPPING. I can't get it into a tech for a month, so I figured if I put enough motivated minds behind this, I could do it myself, with the obvious assistance of someone who knows what the hell their doing. You can post here or send me an PM. Thanks to all in advanced.

Bo
    I'm guessing when you damaged the chip, the next component in the power signal was damaged due to excessive voltage/current. Check the next component that gets voltage from the chip (the next component in line). I bet that's the problem.

Comment

im willing to bet something bad happened.

Comment

Do you mean the electryic capacitor. It is connected to 2 leads going to the circuit board/chip? Or something else. I didn't have the amp on when I broke the pin of the original chip. I didn't turn it on till the new one was installed. That's why I'm muffed. I think I might try that though. Thanks.

~Blink 182

Comment

Originally posted by nepalnt21
          im willing to bet something bad happened.

I think we have a winner folks You nailed it. Haha. How much were you willing to bet? Just curious.

~Blink 182

Comment

Originally posted by remingtonbo2001
            I think we have a winner folks You nailed it. Haha. How much were you willing to bet? Just curious.
            a broken single coil pickup.

Comment

I would start by replacing any parts that resemble charcoal . . . even if they looked like that before.

Artie

Comment

I just bought a DC voltage meter, resistance, capacitance, ect. Hopefully this will help. My speculation is that it is the large blue capacitor next to the power transistor, or as HD might has suggested, the electrylic capacitor next to the semiconductor chip. I keep getting shocked by the Blue Capacitor, so I think that may be it. Then again, my clothes are still kinda static-y. Mucho gracias for all the help.

~Blink 182

Comment

Did you install the chip the correct way round? In my experience of electronics, it's usually the last thing you did.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Be wary of the electrolytic capacitor, if things are fitted incorrectly it could go bang.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees
                      Did you install the chip the correct way round? In my experience of electronics, it's usually the last thing you did.
                      What do you mean? It would only go one way right? You have to screw it to the heat sink. The little plastic coating is between it and the heat sink. It has some paste around it. I just don't know. Uhhhhh.....If the LED light went out, would this cause it from working? It's not clicking on. But, none of the lights are working, ie...channel 1/channel 2. So I would figure the problem to be at the beginning of the power source. Right? Wrong? Nothing looks burnt. That diode I was previously talking about, well it was a black stripe around it. Nothing is burnt out. When I tried turning it on again, it started smoking at the later part of the chain, around the tube. But I put a 50v Electrylic Cap instead of 100va. That might be the problem. I wish I could take it in, but it's just too long of a wait. Well, I have 10 days to figure out how to do this. Thank you everyone. If your suggestion works, I'll keep my end of the bargin.
                      Later.

Bo

~Blink 182

Comment

The caps can explode like an M-80. Just gotta be careful. They also hold a charge and can kill you LONG after you've unplugged the amp.
                        My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                        or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                        http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                        700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

There's usually a tag or mark on the chip, and some sort of mark on the board to ensure the right legs go in the right place.

Comment

Working...
                          X