Pre amp tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre amp tubes

I've done a lot of preamp tube swapping this week on my amps and every thing is OK except from one amp that i am still not satisfied with the results.....I used JJ ECC83S and i think that they reduce gain, i tried the EH 12ax7 anD they made my amp a little bit treble heavy and thin and some Ruby 12AX7 ones that are the ones that gave me th best results even though i am not 100% happy....

Since i am not an expert with tubes can you propose me some other good high gain 12ax7 tubes(svetlana???Groove Tubes??) I did not find the JJ ecc83s to be high gain ones does JJ make some other higher gain preamp tube?Is it the ecc803 ???

Re: Pre amp tubes

Did you looked here

?
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

I think the best high gain pre-amp tube right now is the Groove Tubes 12AX7-C. I was a huge NOS snob when it came to pre-amp tubes in my Marshall, then I tried these and was sold. The GT 12AX7-M's are also very good, but slightly less gain and smoother/darker. Not overly, but some.

Those are my picks for pre-amp tubes.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

New Tung Sol Reissue. Or chinese.

Comment

Second fo the 12AX7C and 12AX7M.

Comment

The JJ's need to be tested for highgain. Some suppliers do this if requested. One is http://www.dougstubes.com.

Try the Shuguang 12AX7C (Chinese) and Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

You can also ask for high gain JJ ECC803S's.

Concentrate on V1 and V2, those positions effect your sound the most.

Keep in mind, trying to get high gain on some amps not built for high gain may not work out without modding or running a pedal. But keep trying.
            Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
            Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

The best high gain tubes I've come across are 80's Philips ECC83 with white labeling---out of production but available NOS/ANOS through dealers. More gain than the 70's RFT, but not as brittle. Beats any of the new stuff with a big stick..

Comment

Eh12ax7 For High Gain Followed By The Chinese 12ax7 Gt. Fat Sounding With Less Gain Is The Gt12ax7 Mullard Reissue.
                My bands links:

PEDL
                www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
                www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
                www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

A good secret for finding cheap preamp tubes is to search 'Shuguang' on Ebay.
                  The GT-C's that cost about $14 are only $5. Here's an auction to check out.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I can't believe that chinese tubes are also sort after
                    Anyway i needed tube info also, this site had been great
                    Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                    Gibson 1959 reissue
                    Gibson 1960 reissue
                    Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

plenty of good recommendations above

I thought that the JJs were actually testing at higher gain than a lot of other current production 12AX7s, but yes, you can order high gainers from Eurotubes or other vendors

some tubes, like earlier versions of Sovteks - 12AX7 WAs - provided lower noise at the expense of gain
                      "music heals"
                      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                        A good secret for finding cheap preamp tubes is to search 'Shuguang' on Ebay.
                        The GT-C's that cost about $14 are only $5. Here's an auction to check out.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/4-12AX7-12AX7A-T...QQcmdZViewItem

The whole "rebranded" thing with tubes only serves to create a big confusion on which tube is which...............So here's some questions.....

1) you are saying that the Sino China Shuguang 12AX7A (see link below) is actually a Groove Tubes 12AX7C?????????

2) Regarding JJ's....which one is higher gain version: the JJ ecc83s or the JJ ecc803????

3) And finally ( ) the Tung sol reissue mentioned earlier in this post would be the Mullard reissue or am i wrong????

Comment

Originally posted by fenderiarhs
                          3) And finally ( ) the Tung sol reissue mentioned earlier in this post would be the Mullard reissue or am i wrong????
                          Incorrect. The new Tung Sol reissue is a really good tube. The Mullard has had more bad press than good. Some really like them, most don't seem to. I don't like them at all. funny sounds, motoboating, weird stuff. I have 3. I've heard if you use them in old Non Master Volume amps, that's where they are ok. They didn't work in my Budda or PV classic at all.
                          The tung sol on the other hand sound fantastic in both amps. I use them in
                          V1 with great results.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderiarhs
                            2) Regarding JJ's....which one is higher gain version: the JJ ecc83s or the JJ ecc803????
                            Bob recommends that you use the (hand picked) ECC83s for high gain amplifiers.

Comment

one question, having a DSL401, if i change all of em' pre-amp tubes to
                              12AX7C, will the overdrive effect on the clean gain be made lesser till' like 7-8 ?
                              Hope you guys know whadda mean =)
                              Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                              Gibson 1959 reissue
                              Gibson 1960 reissue
                              Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Working...
                              X