• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dave74
    replied
    Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I just looked at the knob layout
    To be honest the Stiletto manual doesn't explain the deal as well as the Rectifier manuals do, and the channels/modes that apply presence by the power-amp differ a bit from specific model-to-model over the years.

I first noticed this and then researched because I had tried running the Metal Zone (go ahead and slap me Ace) into the return of my Tremoverb. I had noticed it was sounding completely different from one time to the next even though it was hooked up the same. Well what I was missing was that in-between those occasions I had been using the amp by-itself in different ways so it was set on a different channel and mode than before and I originally wasn't even aware that I had a presence knob in-play and it was set at a completely different spot than before.

Using that "master-presence" allows preamp pedals into the return to have a whole new level of performance and versatility.

The same principal applies in the RevG Rectifier circuits when you clone red-to-vintage and then run the amp in the red channel. It gives you a presence at the end of the preamp as normal in their high-gain modes, but it also gives you an additional presence near the power-amp section. They also have different values to go along with the different placements, so doors open-up for the vintage high-gain that takes you somewhere between recto vintage and recto modern. Of course the Stiletto and 3-channel Rectifiers never did this "trick".

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by dave74 View Post

I don't think it is.

In the manual it says that when using the power-amp only (plugging into the return) the loop must be active (not in loop-bypass), and the only front controls that are active are the output and channel 1's presence, but the amp must be set to channel 1 for it's presence to be active.

That tells me it's by the power-amp in the circuit and not part of the preamp.

Channel 2 presence is truly part of the preamp so it will never be active when using the amp for power only.
    I just looked at the knob layout

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied
    Yes - presence is at the end, on both channels.
    I don't think it is.

In the manual it says that when using the power-amp only (plugging into the return) the loop must be active (not in loop-bypass), and the only front controls that are active are the output and channel 1's presence, but the amp must be set to channel 1 for it's presence to be active.

That tells me it's by the power-amp in the circuit and not part of the preamp.

Channel 2 presence is truly part of the preamp so it will never be active when using the amp for power only.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by devastone View Post

Why? When you've already determined it works best as "the" preamp. Preamp into preamp rarely works that well. I'm sure you can dial in an okay sound, but not it's intended purpose.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post
    I would use it with my dirty setting to boost my gain, vol, and mids/highs during my solos.
    Again, wrong tool for that job, there are 123,476* different OD/distortion pedals out there for that job

(* a reasonable SWAG)

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

I'll be trying it into the front of a few things. First shot was into the front of Marshall VS100 Clean Channel on 25 watt mode. Coming up:
    100 watt mode
    Peavey Express
    HK Tubemeister 18
    Fender Pro Jr.
    Why? When you've already determined it works best as "the" preamp. Preamp into preamp rarely works that well. I'm sure you can dial in an okay sound, but not it's intended purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Yes - presence is at the end, on both channels.

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied
    If you do ever get the itch to run it into the return of your Stiletto, just remember to have it set for cleans (even though the preamp is not really "engaged").
    I assume it's like the Rectifiers when running like this, where you will still be able to use the presence control on the amp because it's at the end of the circuit in clean modes.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post
    I would use it with my dirty setting to boost my gain, vol, and mids/highs during my solos.
    I would never do that - but I might try it just to see...

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
    Good to know!

Who would have thought...a preamp sounding best when used as a preamp!
    I'll be trying it into the front of a few things. First shot was into the front of Marshall VS100 Clean Channel on 25 watt mode. Coming up:
    100 watt mode
    Peavey Express
    HK Tubemeister 18
    Fender Pro Jr.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    Good to know!

Who would have thought...a preamp sounding best when used as a preamp!

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    OK - Gave this Micro-head (Mini-Micro-Head? Microscopic Head?) a run straight into the effects loop.

Updated opinion: WOW - way better than into the front. Much better range of everything. Less fizzy on max gain, far better EQ response etc.

Even more impressed than first opinion.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied
    My Joyo American and British won't fit in my guitar case.

Ive tried

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied
    If nothing else, its a backup in your guitar case

Any guitar case

Leave a comment:

Working...
X