No announcement yet.

What is the smallest "power" amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it had stage volume vs a Drummer, and drove a 4x12 - that would be perfect.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

There are a few videos on YouTube if you search “Mooer baby bomb 4x12”, but I’ve been to a punk gig before and realised after a band’s set that one if the guitarists had been using an Orange Micro Terror into a 4x12.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
        There are a few videos on YouTube if you search “Mooer baby bomb 4x12”, but I’ve been to a punk gig before and realised after a band’s set that one if the guitarists had been using an Orange Micro Terror into a 4x12.
        THAT is punk!

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
          i made two others uaing different chips, one is 220W@4ohms & other 100W@4ohms, those i got a LRS power supply to power properly. These power ratings drop by half as the load is doubled so for 16ohm it would be 65W & 25W each. I have run them through a 4x12 cab, even the tiny one from the pic. They were plently load and a clean sound of the 65W kept up with my 50W tube amp. Since the distortion was being generated by a preamp pedal im not sure if there were issues keeping up since i didnt hear any nasty clipping at loud volumes.

I got myself a 30-watt amp module from eBay that isn't much bigger than a quarter for about $6 several years ago. The funny thing is that the old laptop charger that is used as its power supply costs more than the amp module to replace. The module I got has no provisions for volume or tone and is literally just an amplifier. My intention was to employ a Mooer preamp pedal and see where I could go with it, but I got tied up in other projects and work and still haven't dropped the hammer on that project yet. What I can say is that the little 30-watt module gets plenty loud when you plug a guitar straight into it and plug it into a 16ohm 4x12 which should only have that module pushing about 7 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

THAT is punk!
            The best bit was that some of the bands were sharing gear, but this guy was like, “no no, I brought my Tiny Terror with me, and I’m damn well going to use it!”

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post

I got myself a 30-watt amp module from eBay that isn't much bigger than a quarter for about $6 several years ago. The funny thing is that the old laptop charger that is used as its power supply costs more than the amp module to replace. The module I got has no provisions for volume or tone and is literally just an amplifier. My intention was to employ a Mooer preamp pedal and see where I could go with it, but I got tied up in other projects and work and still haven't dropped the hammer on that project yet. What I can say is that the little 30-watt module gets plenty loud when you plug a guitar straight into it and plug it into a 16ohm 4x12 which should only have that module pushing about 7 watts.
              I raised the value of the filter caps on the module from 360uF to 1kuF, along with a zobel network I think, those two mods helped the mid range e top end to sound better but the bass got a little murkier at full power supply rating. Having no eq controls is actually a good thing on this one at the moment.

I had a laptop psu spare in the house that I did try with the tiny module of mine but surprisingly it sounded nicer through a 412 with a step up converter boosting the 12v supply to 20v@2a.

I wouldn't gig with these modules though, the boards are cheap & I doubt the smd components or the board traces will survive 5A going through these things for too long. It's ok as a hobby project to test with speakers that can be used as sacrificial subjects lol

The Duncan power stage is the one to get for safety concerns for both the speakers & the gig if something small is required with a lot of power output.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some crazy high wattage in a small footprint. My car has a 500w amp that's 2"× 4" × 8" and its the same technology.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Found this vid:

Comment

I have to say...this thread is turning out to be very surprising and informative.

I expected a nod to the Powerblock, the obligatory Duncan pimping, and a few obscure little pedals like the EHX.

But this thread delivers, both content and power!

Comment

Working...
                    X