Pedal board amp setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal board amp setup

I guess this post could go either in this section or the pedal board This is something Ive been pondering as of lately and one of Ace's prompted me to ask the question. If you were to built a pedal board amp setup, power and preamp pedal, etc, what would that look like for you? Im not including modelers in this, just a power amp pedal such as suggestion Ace's post the EHX .44 mag or the SD Powerstage or the Orange Pedal Baby along with some sort of preamp pedal(s) and whatever other flavor of pedals you wanted.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

KSR oR Powerstage for the power section. KSR Ceres for the pre-amp along with the Klirrton Grindstein and Oh My Goat. This covers any gain the sounds and cleans. Add effects to taste. YMMV
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I'd probably add the new Boss IR pedal, and an SD Powerstage 200.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would probably just add some sort of power amp to this setup. Something by AMT or EHX. Maybe even a Powerstage 170.
        And I would most likely use my 2x12 cab with the Swamp Thang Texas Heat combo.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess AMT or Quilter for me?

Comment

I use a rack for performances and recording; my twopedalboards are set up for when I can't have my main rig: rehearsals, jamming, and the occasional grab-n-go gig with a backline. For this post, though, the premise is that the pedalboard would be an all-purpose one, for gigging as well as recording and it'd have to suit several types of music.

Have heard good things about the DSM Simplifier; it simulates tube power-stage breakup as well as preamp tone, and its cab sim offers variable mic positioning and provides stereo XLR outs for a PA or console. Also has an FX loop of course. Importantly, it's all analog and is said to feel very much like an amp. So, the DSM would serve as direct box and give clean-to-grit base tone in one of its three flavors, rolling back for cleans they way I do now using an amp.

Couple of quality flavored drives in front of it for core tones with personality. Presently I run one Marshall flavor, one Fender flavor, and one higher gain type on each of my boards, to approximate favorite drive tones from the Triaxis in my rack. I do occasionally long for a Vox tone on tap too.

One "hot-button" distortion in front of the character drives, to serve as a cranked lead/feedback channel. (If I were putting together a serious all-purpose board I might use the TWE-1 or Hi Volt for this. Right now they're serving as my higher gain foundation drives on the two man boards.)

A handful of effects first, before the main drives: fuzz, (maybe wah), vibe, compressor, and a smooth/liquid OD (or more likely a dual OD). Tuner of course, and likely a tilt/boost for switching between vintage output guitars and beefier ones.

Perhaps a pre-chorus too. There's chorus downstream of course, via the mod/delay section in the loop. But a chorus before your drives gives a raw organic whorl that I often prefer to the studio-clinical crystalline swirl. I have pre-gain chorus available in my rack rig too; that sound takes me back to when I ran just a couple of pedals in front of a big cranked amp. Both my pedalboards have the chorus before the lead-&-feed drive but after fuzz and one or two ODs. So I mostly get the wild whorl but still can go 80s style if I want.

Delay/reverb and any other digital FX in the Simplifier's loop, of course, returning in stereo. If MIDI were in the picture I could see running two H9s. (I like my H9 a lot, but without program change capability I probably wouldn't put it on a pedalboard.) A MIDI controlled switcher could handle the whole pedal dance via program changes. But a regular non-MIDI switcher would suffice.

Power amp, compact ClassD stereo. Really the only choice for small & lightweight. It'd be nice to have tone controls in case I ever need to use different speakers than my own, or for those occasinal problematic soundspaces. The Powerstage series likely has something to fit the bill.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Pretty much an all-in-one solution

A dude I know just got one of these....It really does sound pretty awesome...
              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Mooer UK Gold > Mooer Echoverb > Moore Baby Bomb
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Mooer UK Gold > Mooer Echoverb > Moore Baby Bomb
                  I was looking at the Baby Bomb yesterday and a few other Mooer pedals along with the AMT stuff.

i have my Jube so probably looking at a dofferent flavor other than Marshall, which I love. Kinda digging the Engl stuff. Mooer has the Blacknight which is the Ritchie Blackmore Engl or the AMT E1 or E2.

Im assuming the V1 vs V2 AMT stuff is just a bit of refinement in the V2.
                  Jackson Soloist 7 string
                  ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I need to round all of the parts up from around the house to assemble them on a pedalboard, but mine is a Hotone Brit Wind, AMT B1 & P1, and a switcher pedal. So tones based on Vox, Marshall, Bogner, and Peavy, with 75 watts (into a 4 ohm load), with reverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post

I was looking at the Baby Bomb yesterday and a few other Mooer pedals along with the AMT stuff.

i have my Jube so probably looking at a dofferent flavor other than Marshall, which I love. Kinda digging the Engl stuff. Mooer has the Blacknight which is the Ritchie Blackmore Engl or the AMT E1 or E2.

Go listen to this in Pedal room: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...d-900-echoverb

Mooer Phoenix 016 is their Engl Powerball ? Fireball? copy...
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I heard your pedal demo, sounds good.

Its either their Powerball or Fireball, the Blacknight 009 is based on Ritchie's amp which isnt quite as high gain as the other two mentioned. I think the AMT are either the Powerball or Fireball.

If I picked up a few of the Mooer or AMT, Id almost strip most of my drive pedals off my board and make room for those or get smaller board just for them.
                        Jackson Soloist 7 string
                        ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I'd get the Powerstage 170 to use with what I have already, which is the 5150 Overdrive or Boss OD-3 in to the D&M Humboldt Simplifier or the Fly Rig 5 by itself and maybe another OD out front.

You may have said you're not including modeling but to really get the full amp sound in a compact form factor, modeling will almost always come in to play somewhere in the chain.

Comment

Really the PowerStages are really good at this sort of thing.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post

The main difference is that the version 2 of the AMT LA series has a “clean channel” rather than just a bypass. Also, the v2s have an output to use them as a distortion pedal as well as into a power amp and a DI.
                              I’m not sure if the rest of the circuit has been altered.

Comment

Working...
                              X