Boss GT8? Processor users help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT8? Processor users help!

Not sure if this is in the correct forum, but I am looking into purchasing some kind of effects board. I've gone a long way in not having any of my own effects. I'm sure my friends are sick of me borrowing there pedals. I am looking into purchasing either a Boss effects board or a PodXT Live. I am kind of leaning away from the Pod due to A. I don't plan on doing tons of recording. and B. I wasn't exactly blown away by the sound clips, it seems very digital but that is expected. Even though I havn't heard many clips of the boss, I think it will be the right choice. I may need to browse more info about it.

Anyways, on to my questions. First, what exactly is the difference in the GT6 and the GT8? Also is it true this is Opeth's primary use for there distortion? I read that they only use the Laneys for the cleans, and the rest comes straight from a GT6. I find that hard to believe but if it is true, then that's awesome because I am a huge fan of there sound. Lastly, Does anyone have any experience with this product, and do you know where I can hear various sound clips. Preferably the metal distortion and maybe even a few of the effects would be nice to hear. Thanks again, by the way this is my new favorite forum. The gear section has great feedback and support and the general music chat is always a great read. Thanks guys.

Re: Boss GT8? Processor users help!

First of all, the Opeth-sound you hear on their albums does NOT come straight out of the GT. They experiment with several amp setups in the studio. Throughout the years they've been using anything from Mesa Recto's with several different tubes to different Laney's (as you may know, they're endorsed by Laney).

GT-6 versus GT-8:
    • The GT-6 has one COSM modeling engine, the GT-8 has two. This enables you to program two completely individual amp channels, switch between those within a patch, use them together (with a delay between both amps of 0-50 milliseconds) in either mono or stereo or set it up in dynamic mode, where your pick attack will trigger a change of amp channels.
    • The GT-8 has a far better dynamic response than the GT-6. Also, differences between different guitars stand out better.
    • The speakersimulator of the GT-8 is more subtle and sounds less 'bonky'.
    • The GT-8 has an added 'solo switch' for each preamp, that serves as an easily operatable solovolumeboost.
    • The GT-8 has some added ampsims, and some ampsims that already were on the GT-6 now sound better, more responsive and more dynamic.
    • Overdrives and distortions are now blendable with the 'pure' signal of the preamp.
    • The external loop of the GT-8 is no longer an 'external OD/DS loop', but fully standing on its own. So if you use an external preamp, like I do, you can still use the overdrives and distortions of the GT in front of your external preamp. On the GT-6, this was not possible.
    • On the GT-8, some FX-parameters have been changed or added, so effects can be setup in different or additional ways. Besides that, some modeled effects were added, in contrast to the previous GT-series models, that only seemed to model Boss effects, with a few exceptions.

I've owned the GT-3, GT-6 and now the GT-8, and so far I like the GT-8 best. It's just so much more responsive and dynamic, that's a huge upgrade! The main reason I traded in my GT-6 was the fact the GT-8 has a separate loop now though. Oh, and the fact I didn't have to pay extra (long story) :6:
    Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
    Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

check out here for lots of info:
      青汁には食物繊維が豊富に含まれています。 食物繊維は水分を吸収すると膨らみ、腸の中を掃除してくれます。 腸の中の老廃物を排除することでむくみもスッキリ、ポッコリお腹も改善できるといえます。
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love my GT-6, but after the above review, I may seriously consider upgrading to the GT-8. I've recorded almost all of my soundclips thru the GT-6, just straight into my stock soundcard, and they sound really, really good.

I like many of the distortions on the GT-6, although they did take a little tweaking to make them sound better. Some of the cleans are great as well. I like the volume pedal, built in tuner and the ability to use headphones to practice. It was $400 well spent.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

i have a gt8 and its really good,i use to own many pedals but got sick of all the problems that come along with that so i got the gt8 after trying it out a bit.
          to be honest it does sound a little digital but its the best multi effect unit i've tryed out so far.i did try out a gt6 once and hated it.
          the pod units ive played on were awefull but ive never actually owned one.

here are some recordings ive done with my gt8

just posted this in the clips section with the backing track,all guitars are with the gt8 and used the harmoniser from it too

something more complex again all guitars are from gt8 straight to line in of soundcard
          http://www.soundclick.com/metalspider

Comment

i have a gt-pro which i really love...i don't hear any of that digitalness which was present in early digital converters- this thing sounds awesome.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
              i have a gt-pro which i really love...i don't hear any of that digitalness which was present in early digital converters- this thing sounds awesome.
              The digitalness is only really evident when you turn up the gain AND amp levels too much. You'll notice digital aliasing, especially when you play a bend high on the E and B strings. It's audible as a sort of harmonic in the background that changes pitch in exactly the opposite direction from the bend you play. It's very easy to avoid or solve though, you'd just need to turn down the amp level and raise the patch level or master volume. I've only encountered digital aliasing on ampsims with criminally high gain though (when I tried them - I never use anything heavier than the Recto Modern 1 with the gainswitch set to Medium and the gain set to 60 at maximum).
              Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
              Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

I use a GT8 into a Mesa 50:50 as my main amp rig. I think the fx are great and the sims are fantastic.

The Triamp crunch and lead are especially good sounding.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                  The Triamp crunch and lead are especially good sounding.
                  Ooooh, now you got me. Those sims are very useful and functional indeed, but can't possibly be compared to the original! Unless they're modeled after the Triamp Mk.II, I can't comment on that one as I've never tried one. But they don't sound anything like my Triamp Mk.I, no matter how hard I try .

Comment

Have you looked at the Vox tone lab SE. They go for around $500. but I think are worth the little extra. It has 2 expression pedals and tons of pedal and cabinet simulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeroen
                      Ooooh, now you got me. Those sims are very useful and functional indeed, but can't possibly be compared to the original! Unless they're modeled after the Triamp Mk.II, I can't comment on that one as I've never tried one. But they don't sound anything like my Triamp Mk.I, no matter how hard I try .
                      I don't know how accurate they are, but they are my current fave sounds for hard rock & metal. It actually made me want to buy the Triamp later on.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

something's wrong with the mt-2 metal zone distortion on the gt-8.. it sounds great and authentic on the gt-6... yet ****ty on the gt-8.. anyways I use the "4 cable method" (look on bossgtcentral.com for info on this) which separates my amp's pre and power amp, putting the pre-amp in the gt-8's loop.. this way I can use my amp's distortion effectively and even program channel switching in the patches (with the amp control function on the gt-8).. this is a huge advantage of the gt-8

Comment

Originally posted by rainsong86
                          something's wrong with the mt-2 metal zone distortion on the gt-8.. it sounds great and authentic on the gt-6... yet ****ty on the gt-8...
                          That is soooo true! I never liked it on previous GT's anyway (nor do I like the actual MT-2, I think it makes your guitar sound like a vacuum cleaner ) but on the GT-8 it truly sounds horrible, it has become some sort of extreme gargling fuzz. The Heavy Metal distortion also has become thicker (and muddy). Don't know what they did to those pedals, but they should indeed have stuck to the versions of the GT-6.
                          But, as I've said, I never really used those (only used the Metal Zone in front of a Mesa Recto with the drive set at 10 (don't worry, people who don't know the GT's! That's on a scale of 0 - 100 ) on the GT-6 to make the Recto a little brighter and tighter), so I look at that as a minor detail. I really think the GT-8 is an improvement compared to the GT-6.

Comment

i dont use any of the dist pedal models i just use the preamp for that.
                            right now my distortion tones come from the r-fier mdn1 and MS-Higain
                            sound pretty sweet to me and there's plenty of gain,even too much depending on the gain SW setting.
                            http://www.soundclick.com/metalspider

Comment

Working...
                            X