Crate Vintage Club 30 questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Vintage Club 30 questions.

So, I'm browising around for smaller tube amps, and this used gear place near me just got a Crate Vintage Club 30 in. I've played this amp before, and thought it was pretty good sounding. Naturally, before I do anything, I'll go and play this specific amp and see that it sounds alright.

But does anyone out there have any experience with it? Being that it's Crate, I'm ratherworried about reliability issues. Is there anything crazy with the tubes that make it tough to fiddle with them? Anything weird about the speaker that'd stop me from changing it?

Thanks alot,
    Jacob
    Pickups for sale/trade:

Seth Lover(b) nickel, Breed(b) zebra, 5/2(RWRP), Vintage Jazz Bass(b)

Looking for:

SSL6, Phat Cat(n), Seth Lover(n), Pearly Gates(n), A2P(n)

Re: Crate Vintage Club 30 questions.

I've got a friend whose been using one for a couple of years now, gigs with it once or twice a month, no issues with reliability so far and he's pretty hard on his equipment. I've heard these can chew through preamp tubes pretty quickly but I personally think that's because they come with very cheap tubes, throw in a set of JJ's and the amp is fine. Based on what I've heard I think they are equal to the peavey classic 30 in overall tone, not a bad amp considering you can pick them up used for around $250.

Comment

Originally posted by RiffRaff
      I've got a friend whose been using one for a couple of years now, gigs with it once or twice a month, no issues with reliability so far and he's pretty hard on his equipment. I've heard these can chew through preamp tubes pretty quickly but I personally think that's because they come with very cheap tubes, throw in a set of JJ's and the amp is fine. Based on what I've heard I think they are equal to the peavey classic 30 in overall tone, not a bad amp considering you can pick them up used for around $250.

I have a Crate Vintage Club 50 and man..that amp is a KILLER! I put some JJ tubes in it and it absolutely screams. It's one of the best amps I've heard in that price range..if not the best....definitely the best thing that Crate has put out...pretty much ever in my opinion
      Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
      It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret
        I have a Crate Vintage Club 50 and man..that amp is a KILLER! I put some JJ tubes in it and it absolutely screams. It's one of the best amps I've heard in that price range..if not the best....definitely the best thing that Crate has put out...pretty much ever in my opinion
        The latest Clapton DVD concert I picked up has quite a few of the players going through the crate vintage club 2x12 50 watters, great sounding amps!

Comment

I played one for some years. Quite reliable. Had 2 minor problems: a loose contact caused buzz, the power jack got loose the day before I sold it.

All in all it's the best sounding amp I ever heard
          Fender Strat Elite, Epiphone Emporer Regent, Framus Renegade Pro (4x SD Pickups!!!), modded Samick Skull&Snake
          Marshall 6101, Vox AD30VT
          Pedals, pedals, pedals ...

Comment

I have one two. Same problems as psy, but otherwise it works great. The only thing is that by itself it may get a rather nasty upper mid icepick spike, but this is solved by using a tiny tad of compression.

Comment

Working...
            X