banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slave out to Red Box - Patch cable / Instrument cord or speaker cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slave out to Red Box - Patch cable / Instrument cord or speaker cable?

Just wondering if this matters. I've used both and didn't really notice any issues.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I used a regular guitar cable.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Read the manual. Who does that??? I did that - and it didn't help.

I have ran the ridiculous dual speaker lineup before...

Speaker out > Redbox Thru . Cab in, along with an XLR to the board.

But I'm just running a Line from the Slave Out (which also have a level knob back there) > Redbox XLR > Board

Comment

If the connection from the amp is from the speaker jack, speaker cable must be used. If it’s from the amps FX loop send, preamp out or a slave out, an instrument / patch cable can be used.

Since the slave out is similar to line level, you can leave the thru disconnected from anything. How you have it is fine.

Comment

Of course...could always read the Mesa manual....

Because the Stiletto is a high performance concert-ready head, this output is provided as a one-way-send, intended for feeding large outboard rack systems which in turn feed additional tube power amplifiers.

Comment

That Mesa description is so wasteful of words. I sometimes wonder if they are truly an engineering company? A slave out is a low impedance, low voltage circuit designed to feed into another preamp or other amplification circuit. This includes DI's, mixer's, other amplifier inputs, fx loops, or whatever may be an input for an amplifying device.

Comment

I always felt that, if it has a power amp on one end, use a speaker cable.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                I always felt that, if it has a power amp on one end, use a speaker cable.
                Well, this doesn't.

Comment

I've used it from my Mesa's slave out. It isn't a high current signal like a speaker.

Comment

Bonus: Reading the manual it suggested using the 4ohm out on 50 watts, into 8/16 for crisper/tighter tones....have to try this!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Well, this doesn't.
                      In that case, don’t.

My Mesa has a slave out and a recording out, I always treat them as being basically preamp outs.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        Bonus: Reading the manual it suggested using the 4ohm out on 50 watts, into 8/16 for crisper/tighter tones....have to try this!
                        My Mesa's manual suggests different speaker outs for different tones, too. Reading the manual is pretty important on a Mesa.

Comment

For line level signals use an instrument cable (in some special cases, this could be even a TRS type).

Comment

I just kind of freaked the other night. Actually AFTER the other night.

I usually run:

Speaker Out > Redbox thru > Speaker Cab. using two speaker cables and...
                            XLR to board from Redbox

But other guitar player forgot his Cab Cable, so I just went Speaker Out > Speaker In (Speaker cable) and Slave out to Redbox.

Didn't think about until I posted this. Nothing blew up / melted or anything and it sounded the same as always....

Sometime you just freak yourself out for no reason. That was this.

Comment

It's certainly wired up right the way you usually run it from the speaker out. Is this with an all-tube amp or a solid-state or valvestate? If it's a tube amp (tube power amp), you got lucky not having it hooked up to a cabinet. Solid state amps don't care.

Comment

Working...
                              X