No announcement yet.

When can you hear cable quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I can hear it, but I would select a cable for 'most likely to not break, or if it does, which one has a lifetime warranty'.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
      Then again, I also used to run instrument cable instead of speaker cable to power my cabs because I didn't know any better, and also didn't hear a quality difference. Also, 99% of my gear has always been budget, so maybe I just always sound terrible and that's the reason the Music Industry hasn't approached me to provide wealth in return for my talent, no questions asked.
      You won't hear a difference running an instrument cable as a speaker cable, not until you run enough power through it that it fries and the sound stops, instrument cables aren't made to handle that much current.

Monster cable honestly isn't all it's cracked up to be, they just do a good job with hype. The brand of cable that I have noticed the most difference with is George L's, as PFD mentioned, it seems clearer and has more high end, and as mentioned, in most situations it's hard to hear the difference. Playing distorted, a little treble rolloff can be a good thing, Jimi used high capacitance coiled cables back in the day and I think that probably helped his tone.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

When you have a drummer bashing cymbals next to your ear compared to a quiet room, that’s where I can hear a difference.
        As long as you don't do this for too long right
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

About 5 years ago I built a pedalboard for my Splawn. And I soldered all of the cable myself. I bought bulk cable and decent enough ends and wires up a few cables. I decided to try it out and plugged in the guitar and I capsule immediately hear something was wrong. Like a blanket over the tone so to speak. I thought maybe it was my soldering son I went back and reflowed some cables but it still sounded bad.
          Prior to that I was just using the cheap planet waves cables and never had any issue.
          So I decided to order a different brand of cable that had the same capacitance as the PW and immediately it sounded good.

The cable I didn’t like was Canare which according to what I read online is a highly regarded brand. It just didn’t sound good in my application.

As far as “when” would I hear a difference. That answer is went wouldn’t I have heard it. It was night and day. Prior to this I had never been able to truly hear a difference in any store bought cable.

Comment

Take a regular music store guitar cable and alternate between that and a George L's cable while playing at any volume, anywhere.

The George L's are clearer/brighter... because they are lower capacitance than typical.

Comment

If you're hearing a difference in cables, you need to rethink your pedalboard and put at least one more buffer (or buffered-bypass pedal) on it. Yes, different cables have different capacitance, but with runs below about 8 feet, the difference is totally inaudible. Anything longer than 8 feet should have a buffer driving it, which in turn makes the capacitance no longer matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                If you're hearing a difference in cables, you need to rethink your pedalboard and put at least one more buffer (or buffered-bypass pedal) on it. Yes, different cables have different capacitance, but with runs below about 8 feet, the difference is totally inaudible. Anything longer than 8 feet should have a buffer driving it, which in turn makes the capacitance no longer matter.
                I thought the same thing until I bought my board. It incorporates a Musicomlab switcher that has 2 buffers built in. One is always on the other is switchable.
                It didn’t matter how I set it, the difference was there and very noticeable.
                Even with short patch cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                  Buffers can really suck if you use a fuzz face.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Buffers can really suck if you use a fuzz face.
                    Just put it first in your chain and stand within 8 feet of it at all times, problem solved!

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

As long as you don't do this for too long right
                      Earplugs always. And again, if it’s recorded, awesome. If not, I won’t be able to hear it.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

LIterally the only time in 20 or so years I've ever noticed any difference is with a cheap 9 meter Thomann cable In my home rig, and I'm guessing that's more to do with cable length than quality. I don't buy any of the "superior cable bacuse XYZ and gold plated connectors" voodoo. Where money does matter is build quality, but that's about it.
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I have a Monster cable that is so micro-phonic you can hear it moving across the floor. Drop it and you hear a THUCK through the speakers. With a dynamic high gain amp cables can make a HUGE difference in tone and noise!
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

For most store-bought cables, you would be hard-pressed to really tell much difference in a live situation. Where I find it to be more obvious is when you roll the volume down. If you work the volume control a lot, the difference in cables becomes a little more apparent. I have a couple of cables that sound very different when plugged in even straight from the guitar to the amp with the volume all the way up, most of them sound the same though. My favorite cables are some from the '90s that I got from a Sam Goody. Live Wire or something like that. They were cheap 25' cables and still to this day are the best sounding ones I own.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
                              For most store-bought cables, you would be hard-pressed to really tell much difference in a live situation. Where I find it to be more obvious is when you roll the volume down. If you work the volume control a lot, the difference in cables becomes a little more apparent.

Would having a treble bleed in the guitar make a difference?

Comment

If I A/B my cables at home, I can hear a little more presence from my old DiMarzio than the rest. I can also more clearly hear the Planet Waves mid tier cable (with the fat molded ends) is darker than the rest.

Jamming with someone, where I’m paying more attention to playing than the tone, I don’t notice any difference.
                                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                                X