banner

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade Monday 1/24 @ 8pm PST

Going through a forum upgrade Monday 1/24 @ 8pm PST. Forum should be down an hour or so.
See more
See less

Boss Katana 100/212 vs Fender Mustang GTX 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Katana 100/212 vs Fender Mustang GTX 100

So they are both modeling amps and about $500 full boat. The Fender is a 1x12 and has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for use with a phone app, while the Boss is a 2x12 but requires a connected computer via USB for deep editing.

I guess I could haul out my laptop and clear off enough of a stable horizontal surface to set up and work with the Boss, and I could add an extension cab to the Fender.

Any experience with either of these, or with a similar Boss or Fender modeling amp? I have a Fender Mustang LT25 and a Champion 100 XL, and they are cool, but I would like to try something with a fairly ambitious app thats made for it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...12-inch-combo#

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...cosm-combo-amp
    I believe I have a small, dim ember of musical talent glowing within me. I catch a glimpse of it now and then; it is enough to keep me going.

Boss and Fender have been cheating off of each other lately. If this type of amp is what you want, I think either will work well. On the other hand, the Tonemaster series….

I will say, the Waza Airs I just bought are one of the best gear purchases in a while.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have not tried the top end Mustang, but never impressed with any of the lower end versions.

Katana - worth the effort IMO.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have only compared the lower end versions, and the Boss was much nicer.
        Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

I was impressed with what they packed into the LT25 for the price. When I bought it at $149 last year, I thought it was the least expensive new amp I tried that sounded like an amp and not a toy.

The Champion 100 XL has become my most-played amp since I got it. The interface is probably a little too simple in that you have to keep track of exactly which click you are on with the knobs that select your amp model and effects. They could have done something different there, but the basic sounds are good, and it takes pedals really well.

So what if somebody made a good-sized amp with a twelve (or two) and a great interface for accessing lots of amps and effect models, maybe something on your phone or tablet or computer, that could go beyond the really cool (but limited) interface if the LT25?
          I believe I have a small, dim ember of musical talent glowing within me. I catch a glimpse of it now and then; it is enough to keep me going.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I have only compared the lower end versions, and the Boss was much nicer.
            Did the Boss have multiple high-gain amp models that actually sounded like different amps and perhaps even loosely followed the way they were named?

Comment

I really like the Mustang III v2 1x12. I also really like the idea of being able to edit with my phone or iPad.
              "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And it’s the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

Comment

So here is this: The LT25 aint hardly gots no Bluetoofs or Hi-Fi, so I forgot it works with the PC Fender Tone app if you connect with a Micro USB cable. The app is pretty cool. If the Boss app is also pretty cool, it will come down to amp models and toans.

Comment

I think the next generation of Katanas will offer wireless. That'll probably be the biggest upgrade, since they are very well-rounded and fairly powerful as-is.

I had a MkI 100W 1x12 and a MkI Artist, now a MkII 100W 1x12 and I've been very happy with all of them.

If I were spending "212" kind of money, I'd just opt for a MkII Artist. That said, if you're not in a hurry, wait another year and see if a MkIII comes out.

Comment

So I played the Mustang, and the Fender models smoked. Just need to find someone who has the Katana on demo. Probably have to take a laptop. At least with the Fender, you can access all the models from the onboard UI. It navigates a lot like my LT25 but has more models and sounds way better, plus Bluetooth and WiFi. Comes with a big ol footswitch. The Boss footswitch is an extra $130-something.

Is Fender stuff made for old deaf guys?
                    Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 10-30-2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Went back later to the same store today and they had a used 212 Katana back in the other room. Played the same guitar through it. Not impressed with the sound. Could not access the editing software, as I did not have a laptop, so I dont even know what amp models were in the preset locations. (I am assuming you can choose from some or all of the amp models in the Katana for each of the preset slots).

You get a handful of presets on the Katana, which you select with a knob. Whatever was loaded into them didnt sound very good to me. There was a hardness and a lack of elasticity that kind of surprised me; it reminded me of cheap solid-state amps from decades past. It is like the difference between a lovers embrace and wrapping your arms around a big plastic garbage can. The acoustic sim paled in comparison to the factory preset on my LT25. I need to get into the software with one of those and see what is going on. So, inconclusive at best.

Comment

Boss owns this market for good reason.

Can't you just buy a Bluetooth Reciever with a standard USB HID driver connection and use the Boss via bluetooth?
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          Boss owns this market for good reason.

Can't you just buy a Bluetooth Reciever with a standard USB HID driver connection and use the Boss via bluetooth?
                          Sure. Just show me where I download Boss Tone Studio for iOS and Android.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post

Sure. Just show me where I download Boss Tone Studio for iOS and Android.
                            Good point... they dont offer an app version? insanity!
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Good point... they dont offer an app version? insanity!
                              They have something called Katana Librarian, but I dont think it does the full Tone Studio thing.

I might just buy both amps. If Boss comes out with a Mk. III 212, just sell my Mk. II and buy that. Ditto if Fender comes out with a new one. Front-facing controls would be a welcome change on either of those amps; does everyone else put their combo amps on the floor or stand over them to play? That is seriously the reason why I bought a Champion 100 XL last year; I needed a new amp that would take up a wide space on my wall and be able to hold two full baskets of plush pigs on top.
                              Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 10-30-2021, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X