Boss Katana 100/212 vs Fender Mustang GTX 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    I love Fender. When I started playing, I was an angry teen who wanted Jackson and Marshall and Gibson and Ibanez. Over the years I have gradually come around to appreciating Fender for the good things they have done. I have three Fender amps and think it would be a great idea to have more. But, like, still get the Boss too.
    I played a show today (electric guitar & vocals) with my TM Deluxe, with the attenuator on the 2nd setting, and the sound was glorious with the amp up to 5. And it wasn't too loud. But, man, they really got that old Deluxe sound down.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

When it comes to modeling, the speakers and cabinet are part of the system, and I expect the company to deliver the goods without me having to wonder if my choice of cabinet is wrecking everything.
      Gotta disagree.

I've run my GT-8 through a whole slew of power amps (tube and solid state) and cabs as well as through a couple of acoustic combos and through the return input on electric amps. All have made the overall sound different. I've been able to get great tones out of them all. In fact, I would argue that running a modeling rig through "real" cabs and speakers make it sound and react much more like a real amp.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

Gotta disagree.

I've run my GT-8 through a whole slew of power amps (tube and solid state) and cabs as well as through a couple of acoustic combos and through the return input on electric amps. All have made the overall sound different. I've been able to get great tones out of them all. In fact, I would argue that running a modeling rig through "real" cabs and speakers make it sound and react much more like a real amp.
        It might make them sound better overall, but did some combinations sound more like the target amp than others? I have been thinking that, if the manufacturer is building a modeling combo, they know the cabinet and speakers, and they can compensate for that response and build in offsets into their amp and cabinet models so that the end result sounds more like what they are trying to model. Am I off base here; do they even try to do that?

To be fair to the spirit of experimentation, I used to run my Vox ToneLab into the series effects return of my Marshall TSL100, into a 1960A with the stock G12T-75 speakers. Sometimes using the cabinet emulation in the Vox yielded better Marshall tones to my ears than running it flat. So I guess experimentation beats theory sometimes.
        Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 11-09-2021, 03:37 AM.
        It sounds great right now! Lets see if we can break it!

Comment

It might make them sound better overall, but did some combinations sound more like the target amp than others? I have been thinking that, if the manufacturer is building a modeling combo, they know the cabinet and speakers, and they can compensate for that response and build in offsets into their amp and cabinet models so that the end result sounds more like what they are trying to model. Am I off base here; do they even try to do that?

To be fair to the spirit of experimentation, I used to run my Vox ToneLab into the series effects return of my Marshall TSL100, into a 1960A with the stock G12T-75 speakers. Sometimes using the cabinet emulation in the Vox yielded better Marshall tones to my ears than running it flat. So I guess experimentation beats theory sometimes.
          Some do, I suspect. I also suspect that a lot don't.

Besides, very few of my amps are "stock", so using cabs with my preferred speakers was going to happen anyway.

The Twin models still sound like a Twin. The Marshalls still do Marshall, and the Mesas still do Mesa, but they sound like those amps going through a V30/12L mix.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

OP: I'm using Katana Librarian on my Android tablet connected to USB using an OTG cable, sitting on top of the amp, working perfectly. It's doing everything the Boss software can do, but it's way easier using a touch interface. In fact I started to like my Katana once I got that software. Only 4 presets on my Katana 50w but I can load any presets in seconds using the Katana Librarian app.

If you read the manual, you will see there are 4 amps in the Katana. They're not modelling any amps but are inspired by: clean (JC120), crunch (Bassman), Lead (5150) and Brown (SLO100).
            The power section is analog and inspired by EL34 tubes section.

Didn't like my Katana 50w at first. Once you set the low-pass/hi-pass correctly and play a bit with the EQ the Katana starts to sing. Notice also that it was designed around the behaviour of a tube poweramp section, so crank the master volume and adjust the gain to your taste, then bring the volume to how loud you want it to be. The Katana 50 speaker is stiff, so expect it to smooth on in couple of months (or play 40 hours of real loud music on it while away from home ). I think the Katana shines more in a band context than in a bedroom.

The Katana plays and react like a tube amp. Does it sound like YOUR tube amp or the best tube amp? Probably not, it's Boss sound and not an emulation. Some like it and some don't. It's also an open-back cab so it's not as tight as a closed back cab. Personally I like it a lot for what it is and I don't expect it to be what it's not. But it's a freaking good amp for $200/$300. As suggested by others, I would try a Katana Artist or a Katana Head with the cab you like with it (it's a guitar amp and not a modelling amp so the matching modeler/amp/cab doesn't apply).

Last edited by donaldr; 12-15-2021, 07:29 AM.

Comment

I played through a 50W 1x12 Katana Mk. II last week, and I was struck again by how it sounded mix-ready. If thats the sort of thing you enjoy, then youll probably enjoy that sort of thing. Is that what I want at chez Pigbacon? Sometimes, but usually I dont find the flatness of the presentation very engaging. I would have been impressed if those sounds had come out of an old solid-state Peavey, but I was expecting more from the Katana.

Maybe its the low-volume thing? I had the power amp setting on either 0.5W or 20W most of the time. It seemed to pave over the differences between guitars and do its own compressed, mid-heavy thing no matter what guitar or pickup I used or what I played.

I think this can be cool and useful at times, but I dont think I would want a Katana as my only amp or even my only solid-state-modeling-but-not-quite-modeling amp. There is a certain ampness that it seems to be missing. But then, it is important to remember that certain people dont hear as well as they used to; perhaps that is what I am hearing (or not hearing).

Does anybody else hear what I am hearing with these amps?

Comment

Side Note...have you considered the Positive Grid Spark Amp? For practice and noodling around it can be great when used in the right application.

You could always go Kemper.
                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                  Side Note...have you considered the Positive Grid Spark Amp? For practice and noodling around it can be great when used in the right application.

You could always go Kemper.
                  Is that really as good as a $500 Boss or Fender amp?

Maybe I will get a Kemper one day, but I would seriously go broke buying profiles for it.

Comment

Is that really as good as a $500 Boss or Fender amp?

Maybe I will get a Kemper one day, but I would seriously go broke buying profiles for it.
                    The Spark is cool for what it is. I would take it over the others in a heartbeat for simple play along practice, etc. It's a great learning tool and practice amp.

The Kemper comes loaded with a ton of awesome profiles so you wouldn't have to buy anything if you didn't want to and still have more options than you could ever know what to do with. If you decided you wanted to buy some, just grab them on sale. Sales happen often and I have saved as much as 70% on them. The most I have ever paid is 30% off. There is also the Rig Exchange where people share profiles for free on stuff they make etc. Some are good, some are not but there are a ton available. Don't let the cost scare you on profiles. I have friends who have never bought a profile and are happy as can be with what is out there free or what it came with.

You will eventually go broke buying plastic chinese pedals you don't need as well. The Kemper also has effects on it so you get that so it is a great savings for you.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

You will eventually go broke buying plastic chinese pedals you don't need as well. The Kemper also has effects on it so you get that so it is a great savings for you.
                      I already bought them all. Now its metal Chinese pedals I dont need. But I think I am finally getting it out of my system and am excited about other things once again. Hence all the threads asking about different things.

Comment

I already bought them all. Now its metal Chinese pedals I dont need. But I think I am finally getting it out of my system and am excited about other things once again. Hence all the threads asking about different things.
                        I hear ya brother. Now take all that unopened Chinese **** to GC and do some horse trading and get you some amps you can play the BrUtZ on! \m/ \m/

Comment

I hear ya brother. Now take all that unopened Chinese **** to GC and do some horse trading and get you some amps you can play the BrUtZ on! \m/ \m/
                          Can I use my Randall with a pedal or a modeler for teh Br00tz? I am actually closer to buying a ToneMaster Twin Reverb right now.

Comment

Can I use my Randall with a pedal or a modeler for teh Br00tz? I am actually closer to buying a ToneMaster Twin Reverb right now.
                            Of course you can man. I am just trying to help you spend your money and turn ou into a metal head.

There aren't many of us around these parts...

Comment

Of course you can man. I am just trying to help you spend your money and turn ou into a metal head.

There aren't many of us around these parts...
                              You are helping me think about pricey high-gain pedals.

Comment

You are helping me think about pricey high-gain pedals.
                                I accept that.

Comment

Working...
                                X