mesa triple rec or dual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mesa triple rec or dual

for those of you who have played both.. which plays better, a mesa boogie dual rectifier or triple rectifier.. obviously the triple can get more dBs but that really doesn't matter to me since the dual rec has plenty of head room for clean channel anyways.. I'm talking tone here, not power.. which do you think sounds better?

Re: mesa triple rec or dual

Speaking from personal experience, the triple is kinda over kill. I kinda wish I would have opted for the dual. You'll hardly ever find yourself in a situation where you need 150 watts. But if its bragging rights you want to unknowledgeable musicians, spend the extra 100 bucks and get the Triple. You'd be surprised at how many kids at shows are wowed by it.
    DayGlo

Comment

From everything I've heard from Rectifier owners, the best formula is a Dual Rectifier that's been modded by a tech with an internal bias pot. Mesas come with a fixed bias, and it runs the tubes in a cold 'safe zone.' Many pro Mesa users, who have great tone, have a bias pot installed, and use better tubes than the amp ships with.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of any of the Recs, but I think the Dual and Single sound the best. The triple has another channel, but the amp sounds a little more sterile. The 150W one is so damn loud, it's almost impossible to get a decent tone out of it at useable volumes.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Definetely the Dual, out of experience...trust me. Overkill is not an exaggeration.

Comment

I guess it really depends on how loud you're gonna play or how much power amp headroom you need. But I can imagine the Triple is a bit of an overkill. I've never fully cranked my 100 watts of H&K Triamp-power, and I hope I'll never have to, LOL. MAN, that thing is loud at 5!
          Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
          Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

The Dual sounds a little "looser", and is better for power tube saturated lead tones. The Triple is a little "tighter" and is better for scooped mid, machine gun type rhythm.

But, those above comments are broad generalizations. Both do lead and rhythm tones quite well.

The truth of the matter is that there is very little volume difference between the Dual and Triple Rectifiers, they're both really f*cking loud, and in reality if you can't drive a Triple to saturation because of the volume, chances are you wouldn't be able to drive the Dual either. If possible, try both at "gig volumes" and choose whichever one makes your d*ck hard. And if after playing them you still can't figure out which you like better, get the Dual.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I've always thought the Dual simply sounded better than the Triple. I would even take a single recto over a triple.

Comment

Without intending to hijack this thread, I'd like to ask the same about the dual rec vs. single. Anyone?

- Keith
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER
                  Without intending to hijack this thread, I'd like to ask the same about the dual rec vs. single. Anyone?

- Keith
                  Most people that are lured to the Dual are the ones seeking more headroom and the extra channel that the newer models have.

Lots of people claim that the Dual sounds more organic and many say that the Single is tighter and has a more lively clean. Some say that they sound the same.

Of course with the Dual, you get many more options to tweak your sound...the Rectifier Select Switch, the souped up FX loop...

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
                    the souped up FX loop...
                    Souped up how?
                    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Well, the Single has a RET/SEND and a mix...while the Dual has the stated with an additional SEND level and it also allows the loop to be assigned to a certain channel, which can be activated by footswitch.

Comment

Originally posted by chopstherocker
                        I like single's more. You can have the amp at higher volumes, giving you a warmer overdrive, and still not be pissing the rest of the band off.
                        I've found the same thing with my single rec. I've never owned a dual so I never knew what I was missing, but I always felt my single had more than enough headroom to satisfy/piss off the rest of the band.
                        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I would say if it's a choice between the Dual and Triple Rectos, it's got to be the Dual unless you're playing huge stadiums and need all that extra headroom. This isn't from personal experience though, as I've never owned one or played either for more than 20 minutes. Like everyone else said it just makes sense to go with the Dual for reasons already stated.

As for the Single Recto, I would probably go for that as I know that 50 tube watts is more than enough for any gigging band applications. Hell I think maybe bigger touring bands could easily make good use of it. Some say it breaks up sooner so the distortion sounds better at lower volumes, unlike the Dual and Triple.
                          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I've also heard that the older, 2 channel Dual Recto's are more organic and less "buzzy" than the newer three channel ones. I don't have any experience, so I cant verify/deny those statements, but maybe it's something to bear in mind when making a decision?
                            7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

dual recto running at 1/2 power
                              gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
                              '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
                              mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
                              marshall 1960A 4x12
                              and a few pedals

Comment

Working...
                              X