banner

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade Monday 1/24 @ 8pm PST

Going through a forum upgrade Monday 1/24 @ 8pm PST. Forum should be down an hour or so.
See more
See less

Modify my mono cabs to stereo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modify my mono cabs to stereo?

Take my 8ohm 2x12 for example.

One 8ohm WGS ET65 | One 8ohm WGS Veteran 30

If I added a separate jack, I could plug amp 1 into speaker 1 and amp 2 into speaker 2. Easy peasy.

What I am interested in though, is if/how I can make it a stereo cab but retain the ability to run it mono.

I’m sure same applies to a 4x12 as well, but if not, please explain the difference(s).

It can be done. Look what Marshall does with the 1960A. They have a special jack plate with a switch and a circuit board, but you could probably do it with off-the-shelf parts. Maybe Marshall sells that as a replacement part?
    I believe I have a small, dim ember of musical talent glowing within me. I catch a glimpse of it now and then; it is enough to keep me going.

Comment

This! I put a 1960A Jackplate in my Marshall MX212 to use it with my JC120. An easy mod and well worth it. I can flip a switch and go back to a mono cab at any time.

Last edited by Securb; 11-09-2021, 03:05 PM.

| Gear Reviews | Beer | Babes | The Internet's Only Unedited & Uncensored Musician's Forum | Sports |

Comment

yep. i think mojotone sells one without a switch too

Comment

I think the 1960A, being a 4x12 has 16-ohm speakers and wires them as two parallel pairs of speakers, each pair being an eight-ohm equivalent in stereo mode per side. In mono mode, one input jack puts the 8-ohm pairs in parallel for 4 ohms, and the other input jack puts the 8-ohm pairs in series for 16 ohms.

Since your example is a 2x12 cabinet with 8-ohm speakers, you would actually get the same nominal impedance combinations as a stock 1960A, if you used that same input jack assembly. You would have 8 ohms per side in stereo, and in mono you would have your choice of 4 ohms (your two 8-ohm speakers in parallel) or 16 ohms (the same two speakers in series). The only difference is that you would have actual 8-ohm single speakers instead of parallel pairs of 16-ohm speakers.
          I believe I have a small, dim ember of musical talent glowing within me. I catch a glimpse of it now and then; it is enough to keep me going.

Comment

The switch plates can be found on eBay take note there are some counterfeits out there

| Gear Reviews | Beer | Babes | The Internet's Only Unedited & Uncensored Musician's Forum | Sports |

Comment

Amplified Parts sells these; they have a store on Reverb.
              "Brains have been washed. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory." - Isle Of Dogs

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                The switch plates can be found on eBay take note there are some counterfeits out there
                How can you tell the counterfeits? Do they use a picture of a real one ?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post

How can you tell the counterfeits? Do they use a picture of a real one ?
                  When I bought mine there were some that were too inexpensive to be OEM and I remember the fonts being off.

Comment

You guys rock

Comment

No problem man. Here is my mod.

Comment

Just bought 2 of these.
                        One for my current homemade 2x12 and another for the oversized recto dimensioned cab I’m building next month.

Haven’t decided which speakers I wanna use for that one yet.

https://reverb.com/item/2996992-jack...ontent=2996992

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X