Speaker recommendations for new 2x12 and stereo rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker recommendations for new 2x12 and stereo rig

Just got an early 90s Mesa Fifty:Fifty stereo poweramp.
    50w 6L6 per channel.

Channel A: AMT R1 (Single Rectifier)
    Channel B: AMT M2 (JCM800)

Just bought an AMT O2 (DC30? AD30?) which, assuming I like it, I will swap in for one of the others depending on the gig.

I am going to build an oversized 2x12 like a Mesa Rec 2x12, probably even a little bigger. Stereo, of course.

Trying to decide which speakers to get.

Typically I like to mix speakers. In my 4x12, I have WGS ET65s x Veteran 30s.

I have another homemade 2x12 with Celestion G12K-85s.

For the new oversized 2x12, being stereo, each amp will be using one speaker respectively. This makes choosing even harder than it already is LOL.

I tend to roll down my tone and treble more often than. ow, harshness makes me cringe. So my first instinct is to go with some round and deep with more low mids and big ass bass like a Swamp Thang. But I also read that some people find them scooped. But I also think that if it is, it would just allow me to crank the kids more on the respective amp, and well - I am a mids on 7+ kinda guy.
    Lots of other options from Eminence that would probably go well with that, like the Governor, Wizard, Texas Heat, CV-75, etc.

I am open to WGS too, but kinda want something different than what I already have (ET65/Vet30).

Mid focused Marshall M2 into a more scooped speaker?

Rectifier R1 into a more mid-focused speaker?

Off topic: nice thing about this setup (see below) is that for small gigs, I just bring a delta 44 mag for an ultra light rig. I can run one AMT into a cab and the other into PA via the direct out. In fact, if the PA has multiple inputs, I can also run the AMT that̢۪s going through the cab into the PA as well, for a gnarly wet/dry/wet rig. And with the Mimiq, oh boy I dare someone to show me a bigger wall of sound!

Last edited by Frogman; 11-14-2021, 01:54 PM.

Maybe do the swampy for the 800 side and the new DV-77 for the recto side. I'd go celestion myself, but the swamp/77 combo would do you well IMO.

Comment

The DV-77 looks interesting.

I should call Eminence and see if they have something like a mix of a Swamp Thang mixed with a V30.
      I don’t want it as compressed/focused as the V30 is; something with a wide and broad frequency spectrum, but not scooped; rounded highs but not too dark.
      I sound picky AF lmao.

Comment

I have the Emenice Wheel House 150s in my stereo 2x12. They are very natural sounding so I get more of the sound of the amp. Also, they are 150 per side giving me tons of headroom for any application.

The warmth of hemp meets the power and responsiveness of neo in this versatile 12 inch speaker. Touch-sensitive and balanced, the Wheelhouse delivers warm, smooth tone throughout the entire spectrum, allowing you to utilize your amp controls to shape your sound. It handles pedals and amp EQ with ease. Go from country to fusion to blues and make it sound like it?s right in your wheelhouse.

Comment

Celestion v30

Comment

The Eminence Governor is their take on the Vintage 30 and it does exactly what you just described. No harshness in the upper register and it sounds terrific. Pairs very well with the Eminence Wizard too

Comment

DV-77 hands down.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I use a pair of 1x12 cabs. I can stack them or put them appart depending on how much I want o increase the stereo spread. I use a single AMT SS-20 that splits with stereo pedals into stereo ISP Stealth. Unfortunately I was never able to buy the speakers I really wanted becasue, well, they sell like pankakes here in Mexico so they are always out of stock here. I alwas wanted to try the Creamback + V30, that way I can use one for the higher powered Greenback rock sound or the V30 for the more metal sonds. Also the Neo Creamback sounds good, I tried it the other day in a Fender Tonemaster blonde combo, it sounded fantastic with a Friedman BE-OD.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                  I use a pair of 1x12 cabs. I can stack them or put them appart depending on how much I want o increase the stereo spread. I use a single AMT SS-20 that splits with stereo pedals into stereo ISP Stealth. Unfortunately I was never able to buy the speakers I really wanted becasue, well, they sell like pankakes here in Mexico so they are always out of stock here. I alwas wanted to try the Creamback + V30, that way I can use one for the higher powered Greenback rock sound or the V30 for the more metal sonds. Also the Neo Creamback sounds good, I tried it the other day in a Fender Tonemaster blonde combo, it sounded fantastic with a Friedman BE-OD.
                  I have thought about the two 1x12 idea. As you pointed out, ability to put one on either side of the stage is a huge plus.

Comment

Working...
                  X