banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volume limit on DSL100 to not blow one of the four G12EVHs in my cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peaj View Post
    This has been discussed ad nauseum online, "EVH 4X12 is made of four 20 watt speakers but they're secretly not actually 20 watts, they're 25-30, but that's still too low if we're talking 100 watt head, so what's the deal?" But let's take as a starting assumption that the G12EVH is a 25 watt speaker. I've never heard anyone really say it's actually 20 watts, some people have suggested it could be as high as 30 watts in reality. But let's take the average here.

I'm playing a JCM2000 100 watter, where on the volume does this amp start to punch through that 100 watt ceiling? I once had a Boss TAE for about five seconds (I'm not an attenuator guy) and that device is equipped with a clipping light (the TAE has adjustable wattage and the light trips whenever you push past the setting). The DSL never once triggered it even dimed. By contrast, my Dad's Bassman 50 constantly tripped it.

What's a safe volume here? Do these preamp-gain-heavy amps like the DSL stay closer to their stated wattage, perhaps? Should I keep below 5? 7? Not that I'll ever need to go that high, but I wanna know the ground rules.
    They're not "20" watts. They are just a regular 25 watt G12M re-issue so ive been told.
    Play guitar/ be happy. If they blow you'll be the first to know.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 11-24-2021, 09:04 AM.

Comment

So OP are you playing at bedroom or band volumes?

Comment

Almost two whole pages and you still haven't got the full stack you want to justify

Comment

Working...
        X