In Search of New Amplifier...Need Directions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Search of New Amplifier...Need Directions

Simply put, my tastes are changing and I'm selling my Single Rectifier. I would like to make a purchase by spring time. Let's not be too picky about pricing, but at or below $2000 sounds reasonable. Would prefer a head/cabinet set up, but a nice combo would be sufficient.

I gig, so assume anywhere from small-medium sized venues.

I want something that breathes. You guys all know the amps that pull this off. I also desire versatility, but I don't want it to be an amp that does everything well, but nothing outstanding. I want to drop jaws with this sound. I must find inspiration in the amp every time I plug in.

A clean that's workable, not necessarily Fender, but workable.

A rhythm tone that's got some macho dirt, but never gets so uber-compressed that it sounds HI-FI.

A lead tone that sings, of course. Nice and fat, punchy, and smooth.

Need at least 2 channels...

Something sweet enough for the blues, but mean enough to make you second guess coming to the show.

I NEED DIRECTIONS! My Guitar Center only holds so much and I've done what I can with all of the models I thought I could possibly like, but nothing seems to get me there! If you can recommend something, I can make the time to find it!

Re: In Search of New Amplifier...Need Directions

Is it safe to say you'd like the range and style of tone SRV got?
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Where do you live?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

does it need to be a channel switcher?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

If you want the fender/dumble type tones (think Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, John Mayer), look closely at Two Rock and Fuchs. Jaw dropping tone, channel switchers. I had a two rock custom reverb, but sold it as I never left the clean channel. (I figure I can build a clean channel fenderish amp for a lot less than what I paid for that Two Rock)

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Well, SRV certainly fits the specifications I laid out, which is too bad because that's not exactly the kind of sound I'd like to recreate.

I'd love to cover his ground, but also want more. I want to get heavier.

?? Sorry, not very good with my words, because if I knew exactly what I wanted, I wouldn't need help finding the amp...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
              Where do you live?
              North of Seattle.

Comment

does it need to be a channel switcher?
                I'd like it to be. But if it is so dynamic that I can roll of the volume and get a spanky clean from mondo-distortion, then maybe not.

Comment

And you want all this tone coming from just the amp itself? No help from pedals or the like?
                  Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I am just jug the merlot

Comment

The good news is that you have several nice shops in Seattle to shop in.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

If you want the fender/dumble type tones (think Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, John Mayer), look closely at Two Rock and Fuchs. Jaw dropping tone, channel switchers. I had a two rock custom reverb, but sold it as I never left the clean channel. (I figure I can build a clean channel fenderish amp for a lot less than what I paid for that Two Rock)
                      I'm thinking a Marshall sound...I've grown to really like the way they can work in a band situation, and I can get a glimpse of the sound with my solid state Marshall, but of course, it leaves much to be desired.

Comment

Another, simpler, amp to look at if you can find one is a Komet. They now are selling a 50 watt version, the others were 60. Just a tad less power for better small/medium club stuff. It's a real rock and roll beast. Wonderful distortion.

What style music are you wanting to cover? I might have missed that.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER
                          And you want all this tone coming from just the amp itself? No help from pedals or the like?
                          My lead can be created with the use of an OD and possibly an EQ in the loop (which would be nice ), so not exactly. I just need the gateway. From there, I'll find what I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
                            I'm thinking a Marshall sound...I've grown to really like the way they can work in a band situation, and I can get a glimpse of the sound with my solid state Marshall, but of course, it leaves much to be desired.

Have you ever played a real Marshall Plexi or JTM45? There are a ton of well-made clones out there. (not trying to be a shameless plug). Pure tube tone, 45-50 watts.

If you need a lot of power, you can get a 100 watt four power tube version of these suckers. Loud as hell, melt down wonderfully, simple circuits (no tone sucking stuff that you don't need).

Put a great OD/Distortion pedal in front of one and have all the boost you need. Great amps for rolling back the guitar's volume knob.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Another, simpler, amp to look at if you can find one is a Komet. They now are selling a 50 watt version, the others were 60. Just a tad less power for better small/medium club stuff. It's a real rock and roll beast. Wonderful distortion.

What style music are you wanting to cover? I might have missed that.
                              Komets...OK, I'll look around.

Basically, I'm going for a basic Hard Rock kind of tone that keeps those vintage vibes (old VH is the ideal example). From there, I'll work with the experimental tendencies I'm finding myself enjoying.

Comment

Working...
                              X